It followed me home (Part 2)

@Agent_H There is something weird about that Plumb. The hatchet looks unbalanced; like somebody has ground down most of the poll.

I have a similar Plumb hatchet with the same length poll with the factory paint on it. They just made a small poll on those.

36738202_1872440396109809_6376475977135947776_n.jpg

Today I got the rare opportunity to go to an auction. I purchased this carpenters tool chest. The lid will be easily fixed. Then I got a nice old hand grinder, 8” draw knife and a 3 pound keen Kutter double bit axe head. All in for $47! I have been looking for an old tool chest to redo. I was super excited to see this and get it!! Thanks for looking!

Also, the paperwork inside the tool chest are invoices from buying building materials. They are dated from 1920-1923!! That was nice to find in the box!! I think it is quite a bit older than that though. Because of the current contents seems like a carpenter used it then it set around then it was used most likely on a pipeline. Because of my area and the tools. Oil country.

Those are some great looking tools!

I’m down here on the coast to officiate my brother’s wedding but I did find time to stop by a sale of sorts yesterday on the drive in:

Unknown wedge (marked but until cleaning I can’t tell what it is), Plumb hatchet (has yellow AAxx code markings on the wedge), and a fairly intact Homestead swamping pattern. I usually look past the swamping patterns but I thought this one was worth the picking.

Swampland
by Agent Hierarchy

Swampland
by Agent Hierarchy

Swampland
by Agent Hierarchy

What I didn’t notice until I wiped it off was the crack running down the poll.

Swampland
by Agent Hierarchy

I think I need to find someone here who can fix it for me. I don’t have any welding gear to do it properly. :)

I have a similar Plumb hatchet with the same length poll with the factory paint on it. They just made a small poll on those.

36738202_1872440396109809_6376475977135947776_n.jpg

I certainly like both of your stamped, plumbs gentleman.
Friday afternoon I picked this paper labeled, permabond filled eye stamped with yellow tracking info of sorts(?).

20180707_000745.jpg

20180707_000757.jpg

20180707_000808.jpg

This Plumb being well...a more recent example of quality compared to your two examples.

Today I got the rare opportunity to go to an auction. I purchased this carpenters tool chest. The lid will be easily fixed. Then I got a nice old hand grinder, 8” draw knife and a 3 pound keen Kutter double bit axe head. All in for $47! I have been looking for an old tool chest to redo. I was super excited to see this and get it!! Thanks for looking!

Also, the paperwork inside the tool chest are invoices from buying building materials. They are dated from 1920-1923!! That was nice to find in the box!! I think it is quite a bit older than that though. Because of the current contents seems like a carpenter used it then it set around then it was used most likely on a pipeline. Because of my area and the tools. Oil country.

The tool chest is most wicked! The receipts you found inside...damn! Speak of prominence...yours is dripping, packed full of history!!
I have seen your woodwork, I am grateful you rescued that chest, I am sure you will bring him back to a healthy, strong, beautiful condition for decades more service :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Millers Falls...you cant go wrong.:cool:

Well guys it was my turn to have a great yard sale! Yesterday i went to one and asked if they had any axes. Ended up with a minty snow and neally #2-1/2 boys axe, a #2-1/4 Walters Black Diamond double bit, a Bay State Saw Co. cross-cut saw and an awesome shovel from the mid 1800's in great shape! I already cleaned and hung the s&n.
h3wnfm4.jpg
oMg9kW2.jpg
mLn7Uc8.jpg
L4gquIS.jpg
VCQPjIR.jpg
E9YH5hd.jpg
aJAI5GA.jpg
MIojdKy.jpg
67arXTu.jpg

Paid $15 for all of it. Saweet! I partially cleaned and oiled the shovel too.

The shovel is great, the axe is looking good...

I really like the Fitchburg Ma. Saw!!! Beautiful

Last edited:

Great score on saws Mr Junkenstien:cool:

Cant wait for you to find the date range on the backsaw...always cool. Great teeth still, maybe 1917-1940?:thumbsup:
Loving the 48" champion tooth looks barely used at all...just enough to lose the supplemental handle lol!

The crosscut is awesome! I have a couple with the starter teeth at the toe but I don't have one with the teeth at the heel...that's cool and makes me want one sir!

Is that a Disston also top left with the broken handle?
I recently brought home a German made saw, looks similar, also with the handle broken precisely in the same manner.

Great treasure:cool:

Yes sir,it says disston on the medallion cant see an etch,figured it was worth two bucks.Crosscut is 54 inches long,think i see something wrote on it cant tell what it says.

Yes sir,it says disston on the medallion cant see an etch,figured it was worth two bucks.Crosscut is 54 inches long,think i see something wrote on it cant tell what it says.
can we see a picture of the medallion? There's an easy way of getting a rough date

Found a rusty outdoor pile in Northern Az. .... the only one
I'm really interested in is a True Temper F.S.S. double bit with
intact heel to toe and minimal grind loss. Will re-visit today and
pick up... may bundle to add a smaller F.S.S. pulaski.

.... but, I did pick up 3 o.k. pocket knives... a Camillus 18 double
blade serpentine in really good shape. Scales tight, blades snap
closed, no blade loss. I think 60's. A Schrade serpentine Stockman
"Old Timer" 61OT, 3 blade, tight un-cracked scales... in pitiful condition.
Will try to salvage ...tip loss at the clip blade and sheepfoot blade, spey
is intact. I just wanted a project. I think 70's era. The Barlow was a
bit of a disappointment...in "like new " condition... I somehow missed
the "Pakistan" imprint. Just needs a touch up. As is , very sharp... not
sure it was ever used. Should make a good "beater" pocket knife.

the hunt continues....
Charles
https://imgur.com/a/i6Qy4Sa

yNcRyUM.jpg
9OKU0Gr.jpg
bTlIsei.jpg
7JWRfNf.jpg

got this all for $14 dollars, i had the bayonet in storage, it's a spanish M1913, then a "sunflower" double cut file, still incredibly sharp and a lightly used simmonds 10" mill bastard file, a kelly perfect, a stanley no. 624 in very nice condition, a colombian legitimus machete and lastly a little cedar to plant down in the yard.

like usual the kelly still had some wood in it, i pulled these out of it:
prjoP7n.jpg

No pics due to postimg dying but in the past few weeks my younger brothers picked up a boy's axe with a stamp that reads P I? O (O,C,Q)? (F,T,I)? E,F? T I and a ATCO W. Germany 4lber. I picked up a GBA hachet, an unmarked Norlund looking cruiser, a mint Stanley 740 1/2 chisel, a rosewood and brass 90/45 square and a HEAVILY worn toe hand forged 3.5lber early michigan pattern single bit. I also found an axe honey hole except all handled axes were $50.00!:eek:

Back