It followed me home (Part 2)

No pics due to postimg dying but in the past few weeks my younger brothers picked up a boy's axe with a stamp that reads P I? O (O,C,Q)? (F,T,I)? E,F? T I and a ATCO W. Germany 4lber. I picked up a GBA hachet, an unmarked Norlund looking cruiser, a mint Stanley 740 1/2 chisel, a rosewood and brass 90/45 square and a HEAVILY worn toe hand forged 3.5lber early michigan pattern single bit. I also found an axe honey hole except all handled axes were $50.00!:eek:
When did postimage die ?
I used it 3 times today.

I just found out I have to do postimg.cc not .org to get it to work.

Last edited:
Now for the pics!
DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

Last edited:
I keep looking at that butcher, and I'm thinking may Russell.
Obviously the sheath has some damage but could be worked with if the leather is still good.
I've been wanting a good ol' 7" or so butcher, and an old one next that needs a little work seems like more fun of a project than a brand OlD HICKORY or Russell.

And I keep meaning to show you lol. I don't see any markings but it's in great shape. The sheath is in fine shape, simple home made.

IMG_20180708_191834 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

:cool:

Some blah blah FWIW:

I do not know the history of The Bay State Saw Manufacturing Co, but at some point Simonds sold Bay State saws. Scan from 1912 Simonds Mfg. Co. catalog:

Older quote from a WW'ing site:
Found some more items of interest:

http://www.simonds.cc/company/histor...CompanyHistory

Simonds offered three grades of hand saws. First quality saws carried the Simonds name and featured the company's logo and guarantee etched on the blade of the saw. Middle grade saws were branded Bay State Saw Works (a small Fitchburg saw company absorbed by Simonds in the late 1870's). The lowest grade, least expensive saws were branded with the names of famous American Indian tribes. To support this new product line, a new building was added to the North Street factory complex.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164909-Bought-another-saw-I-may-have-a-problem (post #12)
I could not find that particular quote still on the site.

Not the clearest etch from an ebay listing "VINTAGE SIMONDS No. 25, "BAY STATE SAW MFG CO", 25 1/2", 8PPI, CROSS CUT SAW"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SIMONDS-No-25-034-BAY-STATE-SAW-MFG-CO-034-25-1-2-034-8PPI-CROSS-CUT-SAW-/232744658554?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=JhR0n%2FjUQ9KTm0QuFUCLug%2FG%2F4Q%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bob

From the Wayback Machine:

Simonds Hand Saws

simonds361.jpg

By 1900, Simonds was firmly established as a major player in the saw market. That year, at the Exposition Universelle Internationale in Paris, Simonds won a Grand Prix award, the only American manufacturer to have won this prestigious award at any Paris exhibition. Simonds saws were market leaders in all categories, except one - hand saws, which the company did not offer. Well, in August of 1900, Simonds jumped into the hand saw market with both feet, introducing a full range of hand saws!

kellysaw.jpg

The hand saw market in 1900 was dominated by Henry Disston & Sons of Philadelphia and E. C. Atkins & Company based in Indianapolis. Simonds faced an uphill battle to gain market share from these lofty competitors. But Simonds hand saws were quickly recognized as top-of-the-line saws, establishing the company firmly in the top three. Simonds hand saws were regarded as equal to or superior to Disston saws in quality and durability, which was no small feat. In fact, by the mid-teens, Simonds was the largest saw manufacturer in the world!

perfecthang.jpg

Simonds offered three grades of hand saws. First quality saws carried the Simonds name and featured the company’s logo and guarantee etched on the blade of the saw. Middle grade saws were branded Bay State Saw Works (a small Fitchburg saw company absorbed by Simonds in the late 1870's).
The lowest grade, least expensive saws were branded with the names of famous American Indian tribes. To support this new product line, a new building was added to the North Street factory complex.

Amazingly, despite continued strong sales of its hand saw range, Simonds discontinued manufacturing hand saws suddenly in 1926. There are a couple of old tales around as to why this odd move was made, but today no one knows the full story of why the company decided to bring a bestselling product line to such a dramatic end.

Today, Simonds handsaws are collector's items! There are plenty of Disston and Atkins hand saws available, but the discerning collector holds out for the best - a Simonds Saw made of Simonds steel!

carpentersguide.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...y/history17.php?menu=../mnu/mnuCompanyHistory

So today was my 2nd of 3 Brimfield trips this year. I go for one full day every show. Four hour round trip drive and my Fitbit says I walked 8.5 miles while I was there. That's 8.5 miles of flea market walking, imagine that. For those of you that have not seen it, it's unreal. And July is the small show with the fewest vendors. At least it wasn't hot...(94 degrees). Here is what I brought home.

IMG_20180710_183856 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180710_184014 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180710_183938 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180710_184001 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180710_183951 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180710_183931 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

So today was my 2nd of 3 Brimfield trips this year. I go for one full day every show. Four hour round trip drive and my Fitbit says I walked 8.5 miles while I was there. That's 8.5 miles of flea market walking, imagine that. For those of you that have not seen it, it's unreal. And July is the small show with the fewest vendors. At least it wasn't hot...(94 degrees). Here is what I brought home.

Some good scores there.
That's a real interesting one, maybe an hatchet of some kind ?
And those tiny little hammer heads are definitely cool as well.

Btw not to pester you or anything but I left a message on your profile page, I'm not sure if you read those though.

Wow JB. That would have been fun for sure. Great haul. Interesting hammers and fine axes.

Back