It followed me home (Part 2)

estate sale today---starts tomorrow but my buddy always lets me come over early---nice little norlund hatchet-big tt flint edge double bit -unmarked Pulaski--master mechanic single bit---bout 8 pound anvil --nice zyliss vise and a bunch of snap-on stuff....
View attachment 988573 View attachment 988574 View attachment 988575 View attachment 988576 View attachment 988577 View attachment 988578

Great picking!
I know some snap on guys in the trades that would be drooling all over the place right now:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My eyes went right to the handle on the Norlund hatchet ;)
...and that TT Flint...very big, bold and beautiful! 4lb'er? Is that on 36" very nice piece sir:cool:

I believe the handle is original on the norlund--will restore nicely...
yes sir 36" on the tt flint---super axe head---has not been abused by some dummy with a grinder-probably a keeper there..:)

Looks like I got my first rafting axe !
Poll is chamfered.
Stamp is an “M” over a “5” (5lbs)
33” straight handle with aluminum wedge. Although the handle is toast.

Nice! I have been looking for one for a while myself. Hopefully I will find one soon!! Great looking ax! Collins maybe?

Nice! I have been looking for one for a while myself. Hopefully I will find one soon!! Great looking ax! Collins maybe?

I pretty happy with it too. I did not even realize it was a rafting pattern until I got home. As far as the manufacturer.
It’s stamped “M” and my research tells me that stands for “M”ystery ;)

I pretty happy with it too. I did not even realize it was a rafting pattern until I got home. As far as the manufacturer.
It’s stamped “M” and my research tells me that stands for “M”ystery ;)

1_EF1_D64_F-12_E5-44_EC-9_DE2-51_BF191920_F0.jpg

:thumbsup:

Before anyone gives me crap about the Harbor Freight anvil, I know. The price was right and the stand was a bonus. I paid $120 for everything. That cart sells for over $500 new, and I can use it. I'd never buy one at that price so I'm happy to score it.

IMG_20180922_100455 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Nice big hammer and love the cast cookware!
The belt sander looks new to me.
Who couldn't use a cart like that at the right price :thumbsup::cool:

I went out to hit up a couple garage sales in the area before work today. The first one had a lot of tools and I ended up taking home 2 planes that appear to be pretty much complete if a bit ugly along with an oiler (newish Napa but I know a buddy can use it) and a True Value double bit cruiser. I then went to check out the other one and came away with the two adjustable wrenchs. So I went back to the first one which had the big 1 man saw, they also had a bigger two man but it was a bit more than I budgeted today.

I bet that axe head is totally salvageable. Maybe a Kelly woodslasher.
I’m going to clean it up and hang it. It will at least look really cool. I was wondering if it could be a Woodslasher but don’t enough yet to make that jump.

Ax1993g.jpg
onz4K61.jpg
Siix1TS.jpg

got this for 25 dollars, 5 on the box and 20 on the saw. the saw is a delta homecraft and i'll do some research on it but apparently the owner used the saw to put the trim in the house after he built it with presumably a bigger saw.
The saw is one of those tools that needs a belt to an engine, in this case a 1725 RPM westinghouse 1/2 horse with a small grindstone on the other side of the shaft that just hogs off material.

looks like it's time to start looking for a circ saw vice

edit: apparently it was made prior to 1952

Last edited:
Back