It followed me home (Part 2)

Started reading the book and so far i like it. It's well written! And fun to read.

It's a great book and a good read but don't take it as gospel. Some things in it are best described as old wive's tales (old husband's tales?). Other stuff is just flat out wrong or whacky. Balance what he writes with what you know.

It's a great book and a good read but don't take it as gospel. Some things in it are best described as old wive's tales (old husband's tales?). Other stuff is just flat out wrong or whacky. Balance what he writes with what you know.
Thanks. I've learned to take almost everything with a grain of salt. . I figured I'm crazy about collecting axes and i love to read. Sooo axe books!!

A neighbor was cleaning and he gave me these. First is a 100-125lb jb level vise, next is a wood vise that needs a bench that I am super psyched about, and finally a BMW 801 14cyl. aircraft engine blueprint.
IMG-0803.jpg

IMG-0804.jpg

IMG-0805.jpg

IMG-0806.jpg

IMG-0807.jpg

IMG-0810.jpg

IMG-0808.jpg

Very interesting vice!! I was thinking it was a leg vice but after looking closer it could have been used for leather work. I am leaning more towards a leg vice though! Super nice score man!!

I'm thinking it's a carving leg vise. If you look you can see the outer upper jaw rotates.

I confiscated this from some friends,bad people,those,leaving it outside in all weather,that nice older handle about gone,all checked and cracked...
https://imgur.com/a/qhAw4Ey
(it appears to've cracked long ago when still fairly new,or at least finished bright).
Have no idea what it is,a Kelly creature of some sort?No markings(unless they're under that concrete that sticks to parts of it...Eye ridges...
https://imgur.com/a/QZHAxTr
https://imgur.com/a/HdQz4wL
It appears to be in good shape,hardly worn,poll unmolested(hefty poll for a small axe,couple lbs at most?)...Very thin cheeks and deeply convex blade,an elegant little thing...I'm enjoying splitting stuff with it(light-duty,straight-grained stuff),i suppose will wait for this handle to go(oiled it some for good luck),and then save it for a pattern.Very slender haft too,that...

A17,
That vice is cool...Very clever,to turn a single-screw job into parallel travel...I'd say that it came from a small furniture or carriage-maker /wheelwright business,or the like...Those guys used to buy(and /or make) those wooden ACME threads and jig up their own stuff of all sorts...

On a trip to my local antique store, I scored a Beatty & Sons bush hook and a mystery tool. I suspect my mystery tool might belong in a different forum, but, until I have a clue as to what it is, I don't know where else to put it.

The bush hook is pretty straight forfard:

And now for the mystery:

My best guess is that it is a pipe cutter for a very specific diameter plumbing pipe, but I'm very open to any ideas! Thanks for viewing my thread. T-A

On a trip to my local antique store, I scored a Beatty & Sons bush hook and a mystery tool. I suspect my mystery tool might belong in a different forum, but, until I have a clue as to what it is, I don't know where else to put it.

The bush hook is pretty straight forfard:

And now for the mystery:

My best guess is that it is a pipe cutter for a very specific diameter plumbing pipe, but I'm very open to any ideas! Thanks for viewing my thread. T-A
Probably cut a lead pipe pretty well. Hand forged, really cool.
Beatty and Sons is in fine shape also. Never see that stamp around here.

A neighbor was cleaning and he gave me these. First is a 100-125lb jb level vise, next is a wood vise that needs a bench that I am super psyched about, and finally a BMW 801 14cyl. aircraft engine blueprint.
IMG-0803.jpg

IMG-0804.jpg

IMG-0805.jpg

IMG-0806.jpg

IMG-0807.jpg

IMG-0810.jpg

IMG-0808.jpg
If, like me, you find lot of things, you may resell that Morgan vise and wait for the next one. However, if you wait to find and want a great quality user for yourself, don't let that beauty go.

I don't find lots of things (depending on who you ask) and that is a keeper. There's a chunk out of the guide that might affect the value but not the usability. Also, working on that thing will be such a pain by the time I finish restoring it the price would be FAR too much.

I don't find lots of things (depending on who you ask) and that is a keeper. There's a chunk out of the guide that might affect the value but not the usability. Also, working on that thing will be such a pain by the time I finish restoring it the price would be FAR too much.

Take it apart, hit it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, grease the screw and you are good.

Is that anvil a Trenton?

The anvil's a no name with the base arc? welded on to the top. The only marking is a 5 under the heel on the waist. It has a half inch steel plate on the top and rings like a bell. I do have a lead on a peter wright, a portable forge, and a Southern Steel farriers anvil though.

The anvil's a no name with the base arc? welded on to the top. The only marking is a 5 under the heel on the waist. It has a half inch steel plate on the top and rings like a bell. I do have a lead on a peter wright, a portable forge, and a Southern Steel farriers anvil though.
I ask because I have had a few Trentons, and they all had that weld line at the waist.

Reactions: A17
A17,it's quite difficult to id an anvil with no marks or stamps other than that number 5...

VERY broadly it is a London pattern;it is forged of wrought iron with a steel plate welded as the face,and it was forged in two parts,top and bottom.Those holes are how the workers manipulated those parts under the hammer,by means of rods fitting those holes.

The two halves were attached by forge-welding,i imagine,and as to those marks around that juncture i'm at a loss...Was that some peining/working down the swelling of the weld,or even some very early arc-welding,sorry,can't identify those.

Overall the anvil looks ok.If you wish to check it for being "alive"(not having structural damage on the inside,or problems with HT or separation of the face,usable), gently allow the hammer to drop on the face,without forcing it at all,and see if there's any rebound.There should be at least some.
Compare it to the horn,which normally is a dead-blow part,i.e. the opposite of face and it's job is to absorb the effort.

Reactions: A17
Back