It followed me home (Part 2)

Found this NOS Black Beauty combo with the box. It even has the $15 price tag!
I have seen other models with different variations of the hatchet, knife and sheath shapes used but this is a cool one. I felt it was compulsory to have in my collection.

KxNdKWl.jpg

msS5twd.jpg

LLjT4LC.jpg

NwggUWi.jpg

Found this NOS Black Beauty combo with the box. It even has the $15 price tag!
I have seen other models with different variations of the hatchet, knife and sheath shapes used but this is a cool one. I felt it was compulsory to have in my collection.

KxNdKWl.jpg

msS5twd.jpg

LLjT4LC.jpg

NwggUWi.jpg

I actually saw that or one like it a couple weeks ago. I noticed it because the knife is clearly a schrade pattern, and I like old Schrades.

My contact paid off! Well worth the Christmas break! The yankee screwdrivers are a Millers Falls and a Yankee. The red handled screwdriver is a Perfect Handle and the orange plastic one is a copper:confused: screwdriver? I looked at it and went, "What the heck!? This is copper!?" Any idea why it is?
IMG-1641.jpg

IMG-1642.jpg
IMG-1644.jpg
IMG-1645.jpg

IMG-1635-2.jpg

IMG-1636.jpg

The first thing I saw in the pile was that little bullnose rabbet plane! Very nice!!

Reactions: A17
s7w8vMg.jpg

Looking into Walter’s axes a little bit more after acquiring this one the other day. It has some curious marks.
There top of the line axe brand Black Diamond with a faint double stamp, and it has the Western Canada distributed Fleck Bros Hardware stamp on it.
The Walters stamp shows it was made in Hull with a P.Q. afterward. Does anyone know what the P.Q. stands for?
fWPYzww.jpg

9lJI8xQ.jpg

jO1u11b.jpg

On Yesteryear Tools where it talks about all three of these stamps being observed on a PSF axe, it says Fleck was alone on the reverse side but that’s not the case here. Any idea which is the reverse side? Is there a top?

tpXQUIK.png

jnofA1M.jpg

This one has Hull-P.Q. not Hull P.C.?
They did have “P.Q.” On some of their printed labels as well.

Any information others have about this axe would be appreciated.

Hull is in Quebec but is right across the river from Ottowa which is in Ontario, and only an hour from Ogdensburg NY which is where I was born - and where Walters also used to have some kind of Facility.

Walters are nice axes from what I've heard. I have one, a saddle axe. I finally made a couple purchases today. Been awhile since I've seen anything worth buying. (In person of course). I've seen plenty i want online.
CLMkBR4.jpg

And a slightly bent 30" db haft. 5 bucks took it so i jumped on it.
8WPqcQR.jpg

That belknap weighs #3-7.4oz. I'll wire wheel that and patina galore! Take care guys!

Walters are nice axes from what I've heard. I have one, a saddle axe. I finally made a couple purchases today. Been awhile since I've seen anything worth buying. (In person of course). I've seen plenty i want online.
CLMkBR4.jpg

And a slightly bent 30" db haft. 5 bucks took it so i jumped on it.
8WPqcQR.jpg

That belknap weighs #3-7.4oz. I'll wire wheel that and patina galore! Take care guys!
I’d like to see it after you wire-wheel it!

JB strikes again! This double bit looks like 2.5 lbs. It is amazing how distance of few hundred miles makes a difference; I have never seen peavies, broad axes or slicks for sale.I mean, I have seen a slick but the seller was one of those guys who tries to sell covered with soot, soft as butter, still warm from fire hatchet for 15 bucks.

Reactions: A17

The minty SAE Combo's came in the mail a few days ago while the slightly less minty metric DOE's and Seymour Smith and sons spokeshave came today.
There's definitely a learning curve with these things and you'll see when I post my rehang later.
Let's just say I practically turned a club into a twig :D

Both wrench rolls are PROAMERICA ( minus a Thorsen 15/16 filler in the SAE set ) and if you've never heard of them it's because they mostly do contract production, especially for the GOVT and these happen to be military surplus.

They're much higher quality than the common Craftsman wrenches but since everyone and their brother knows thnat name they're priced through the roof on eBay while I got these for a steel since they're such an unknown name.

Last edited:
That 1943 OKC and scabbard is a great find! John

Thank you John, I think so too, honored really to have had it find me.
I will admit I thought of you immediately when I learned of this piece, knowing you collect same era pieces.
I am amazed that I have a piece such as this now:)
What history and significance...if steel could talk.

To find the the machete, scabbard and belt...I thought that a great find all together still.

Back