It followed me home (Part 2)

This may also be referred to as a Carnival Mallet.
I little BLO sure helped it and really brought out the color.
ObCk74X.jpg

zOlIfTw.jpg

I didn't get it.
Ahh. I would like to discover where it is.. I’ve got another part of that story.
In a nutshell that axe and this one Larry got from Allen, who knew George Burns, the inventor and person who made the first prototype of an undercutter for Warren.
So this axe here is likely one of the first George Burns smithed undercutter axes. Larry suspects that this axe may be the actual prototype for Warren and the axe that just sold a week or two ago was one of the first 50 that Warren sent back to Vancouver island for George Burns to test.
dzZYYK8.jpg

J3oQ27R.jpg

I've been lazy about posting for a few days so all this is a week or so's worth of pics. First, a Craftsman hammer with some weird factory tin collar, a pair of michigan heads made by M(ystery) 3 1/2 and a Forest King colored one that had a lot of mushrooming that I ground off, a Collins michigan on its original handle, a Barco FSS pulaski, an adze, a Nicholson Silver Steel saw, a Lapierre Sawyer miners axe handle that is not bent despite the odd photo, a TT Flint Edge cruiser! One of my bucket list axes! A Collins in a box along with its family (sans Homestead as its an older pic), a Bell System Warwood sledge, a shield M log carrier, and a double bit eye WV pickaxe.
IMG-E1818.jpg

IMG-E1823.jpg

IMG-E1824.jpg

IMG-E1820.jpg

IMG-1847.jpg

IMG-E1806.jpg

IMG-1814.jpg

IMG-1813.jpg

IMG-E1810.jpg

IMG-1811.jpg

IMG-1858.jpg

IMG-1857.jpg

IMG-E1839.jpg

IMG-1837.jpg

IMG-1838.jpg

IMG-1757.jpg

IMG-1768.jpg

IMG-1769.jpg

IMG-1771.jpg

IMG-1770.jpg

Looks inferior in design and workmanship to the Vaughan. Wonder about the price?

I'll see if I can find out. Home Depot website shows a variety of Plumb tools for sale in the vein of this one under "specialty hammers" that look identical and range from $25 to $35.Amazon has another like it for about $35 as well. It could be 20 years old, it could be 6 months old from what I can tell. I think the white Plumb lettering is something of a clue but I have no idea how long they've done that, could be 50 years for all I know, so it's safe to ignore my input. :)

I found a new honey hole this week but barely had any time to pick it. A fellow carpenter and tool collector passed a few years back. His widow is just now starting to sell his tools and she invited me to have a look. I took some photos and picked a few things but the rest will have to wait a week or two until I have some more time. Here's a preview.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

From all that this is all I grabbed on this first quick round.
Tools2.jpg

The drawknife on the left is a 10" Greenlee. The short drawknife and screwdriver are Pextos. The little ice hatchet is a Stattsburg (Bodenstein). I'm not a hand planes collector but I might grab 1 or 2 anyway. There's was just too much to take in all in so fast. I'll allow myself an hour or 2 next time and bring more cash.

The ice axe is a Washington pattern. This catalog page has been posted here before in the ice axe thread.
Catalog.jpg

I went back Sunday and grabbed a few more things. I still barely scratched the surface of what's there. Here's what I brought home.

2nd%20Round.jpg

A pair of 42" pony clamps with 'Mastadon' jaw extenders on them. Disston 30" docking saw. Unmarked corner brace that I think might be early because it uses a universal instead of gears to turn the corner in the drive. Stanley 984 corner brace. Miller Falls egg beater. Stanley 67 universal shave hidden behind the egg beater handle. Sargent 4" draw knife. The plow plane is a Ohio Tool Co. A.H. Gage model. Behind that is a Starrett swivel head scraper. In back left is a pair of Jorgensen hold downs. Cheap pair of HF locking hold downs. Little Mule puller - pretty heavy duty. And at far right a NOS Crescent slide-hammer nail puller.

Here's a couple more pictures of the plow plane.
13.jpg

14.jpg

I went back Sunday and grabbed a few more things. I still barely scratched the surface of what's there. Here's what I brought home.

2nd%20Round.jpg

A pair of 42" pony clamps with 'Mastadon' jaw extenders on them. Disston 30" docking saw. Unmarked corner brace that I think might be early because it uses a universal instead of gears to turn the corner in the drive. Stanley 984 corner brace. Miller Falls egg beater. Stanley 67 universal shave hidden behind the egg beater handle. Sargent 4" draw knife. The plow plane is a Ohio Tool Co. A.H. Gage model. Behind that is a Starrett swivel head scraper. In back left is a pair of Jorgensen hold downs. Cheap pair of HF locking hold downs. Little Mule puller - pretty heavy duty. And at far right a NOS Crescent slide-hammer nail puller.

Here's a couple more pictures of the plow plane.
13.jpg

14.jpg
That come-a-long looks pretty beefy! I haven't seen one quite like that before. All of that stuff seems like it's in great shape so that's cool. Do you have first refusal on the contents of that garage or something?

Picked up this smallish Jersey pattern. Looks as if the marks have been removed by whoever did the cleanup, but I can see the remnants of "Made in U.S.A." So it's got that going for it. It also seems to have a fair amount of good steel left - another plus. It comes in a little under 3.5lbs, more like 3lbs 6oz. It's cheeky and shaving sharp, so it should be a good user.
IMG-5599.jpg

IMG-5600.jpg

IMG-5603.jpg

Back