It followed me home (Part 2)

I bought these from a guy that was visiting a scrap yard. One is a Plumb the other dB is a kelly with the bevels and the boys ax is a firestone. I almost left the boys axe because it was so rusty but I could see the convex shape so I got it. After cleaning it up I was very happy. It is the first time I have ever found a firestone axe. Thanks for looking!

Oh yes and two perfect handle screwdrivers from the scrap yard. One is in mint condition. The other is in mint condition other than one grip got scorched by something. The third is a made in German perfect handle style screwdriver.

Nice finds. Those Firestone axes have made me curious in the past.
Supreme, Deluxe, Standard
Here is one I have:
05-F233-C3-CCA7-441-E-870-D-EE79-A09-C7-E96.png

And one I don't have anymore:
D97-CB2-C0-5-C77-4-B1-F-9882-140-A53-A22-FE0.jpg

Does yours have a touch mark under the eye that looks like their logo? I wonder who made them?

I grabbed a nice old Collins legitimus and a craftsman double bit today.
zkccTWr.jpg
sYMfjki.jpg

This is the nicest legitimus axe i have so far. I've been lucky in finding older welded ones w/ overlaid bits.
iNq6MCr.jpg
weighs #3-4.5oz.
bXbaOVF.jpg

It has some red paint in all the letters too. Did these come painted red new? It looks to me like original paint.
hD1Xl3i.jpg

More axes are good axes! Take care guys!

Guys is it possible that this is original paint? I was thinking no but that i better ask before i strip it off. 1551499687286503415519679475478.jpgit was on the original haft. It has thin cheeks but it's an old one. Welded construction. I'm really having great luck lately finding nice old axes! Just wondering about that paint... any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited:
I decided to clean up the head I posted a page or two back due to some vinegar spilling on it and as I was cleaning it I saw a weird scratch. I started wire wheeling the area when more scratches showed up. As it turned out, it was the lightest stamping I've ever seen on an axe. The no-name head turned into a post-1970 Plumb paper label? head with a bar code or something beneath the stamping. I think the "bar code" says 11-516-PM3(5)
IMG-2429.jpg
IMG-2431.jpg
IMG-2436.jpg

Guess is it possible that this is original paint? I was thinking no but that i better ask before i strip it off. View attachment 1083266it was on the original haft. It has thin cheeks but it's an old one. Welded construction. I'm really having great luck lately finding nice old axes! Just wondering about that paint... any thoughts are much appreciated.

Given the overal look of the axe it looks like factory paint. Except that I'm used to seeing those Craftsman axes with a sea green/blue green color paint on them. I haven't seen that color in Craftsman tools before.

Given the overal look of the axe it looks like factory paint. Except that I'm used to seeing those Craftsman axes with a sea green/blue green color paint on them. I haven't seen that color in Craftsman tools before.
Thanks for your input. That was my thought too. The paint is up inside the eye some on the bottom. As you pointed out that green color is all I've ever seen. One thing that makes me lean toward factory paint is nowhere in any of the pits do i see a different color. Another thing is that i don't see any blemishes under the paint. No file marks or grinder marks. Looks like it just left the showroom in that way. I'm gonna leave the paint alone for now.

EDIT; i just realized the ignorance of one of my observations... A brand new axe doesn't have pits. So if there's paint in the pits it ain't factory!

Last edited:
I grabbed a nice old Collins legitimus and a craftsman double bit today.
zkccTWr.jpg
sYMfjki.jpg

This is the nicest legitimus axe i have so far. I've been lucky in finding older welded ones w/ overlaid bits.
iNq6MCr.jpg
weighs #3-4.5oz.
bXbaOVF.jpg

It has some red paint in all the letters too. Did these come painted red new? It looks to me like original paint.
hD1Xl3i.jpg

More axes are good axes! Take care guys!
I have a Collins with the same stamp, just a bit more worn and pitted. Does yours say legitimus under the crown? Mine doesn’t, I assumed it was worn off but maybe some didn’t include it?

I assumed mine is a one piece head but yours clearly isn’t, I will need to take a closer look at mine. Nice finds!

I have a Collins with the same stamp, just a bit more worn and pitted. Does yours say legitimus under the crown? Mine doesn’t, I assumed it was worn off but maybe some didn’t include it?

I assumed mine is a one piece head but yours clearly isn’t, I will need to take a closer look at mine. Nice finds!
Yes it does say legitimus. All that's left is a veerrrrryyyyy faint le us. Also this my second legitimus full size axe and the other one is older welded construction too. Are you going to soak yours in vinegar?

That is an excellent question. One handle locks it, the other is some sort of a metal brake. But it would only take stock up to 2" so it must have had a specific use. Once I clean it and find a name I may be able to learn more.

I love that. The mystery in some of the old cool stuff like that is immensely gratifying to uncover. Of course I don't need to tell this crowd lol.

Yes it does say legitimus. All that's left is a veerrrrryyyyy faint le us. Also this my second legitimus full size axe and the other one is older welded construction too. Are you going to soak yours in vinegar?
My stamp is definitely worn in places so it’s probably gone. Not gonna soak it, it’s hung and I like the patina. I may rub some on the bottom and see if I can see something

Back