It followed me home (Part 2)

This store look familiar to any of you guys?
He had some nice stuff. Thing is you are either a dealer or a collector. I purchased not a single axe from this store.

This store look familiar to any of you guys?
He had some nice stuff. Thing is you are either a dealer or a collector. I purchased not a single axe from this store.

No but I could spend an hour or two there easily.

THis followed me home from an antique fair this morning. The pictures are not the best but it appears to have the initial HGR Cincinnati Ohio etched. Supposely, the initials were the owner of the hardware store. It was an impulse buy but I was afraid to let it go.

011_zps692b56d7.jpg

THis followed me home from an antique fair this morning. The pictures are not the best but it appears to have the initial HGR Cincinnati Ohio etched. Supposely, the initials were the owner of the hardware store. It was an impulse buy but I was afraid to let it go.

011_zps692b56d7.jpg

Impulses are rarely wrong. If you are afraid of regret that you didn't buy it, pull the trigger. I have way more regrets that I didn't purchase something than buyers remorse because I did.
It's a nice etch, its good that it followed you home.

Picked up two new little projects in South Florida of all places. Grabbed a Tramontina machete too, but that's for another thread.

Two Plumbs...one little, one not so little.

Plumb Boy Scout hatchet. Cool little hatchet, with minimal abuse, and a double stamp. It looks like a vintage handle, but it's not the typical red epoxy of the old Plumbs...maybe a replacement, unless the Boy Scout hatchets came this way. Anyone care to chime in? The head is loose, but I think I can re-wedge it and give it a long BLO bath to bring it back. The handle seems to have some lacquer on it though, so that will need to be sanded off.

And a sweet smaller Plumb double bit. I thought it was a cruiser at first, but it's a 3-lb head (stamped with only a "3" above the Plumb stamp). The handle appears to be original, but does have a decent crack at the shoulder. I may inject some Gorilla wood glue into the crack to save the handle, and then give it a nice BLO bath as well. The sticker is still on the handle somewhat, and the head appears to have minimal wear...just some rust. This should make for a very nice vintage, all-original axe.

Oh, and for anyone curious, I found a few new "Plumbs" at a flea market. There was a boy's axe made in Mexico, and a hatchet made in Taiwan. They had Plumb labels, but were not stamped as far as I could tell. I was really hoping the hatchet I saw was a N.O.S. hatchet, as it had the red handle and a sheath with "Plumb" embossed, but once I saw the Made in Taiwan line on sticker I was no longer interested.

Evansville Tool Works. A little the worse for decay.
fFjTI9Nr

That'll file out fine. A few dings.....a little wear on the toe. No big deal. Lots of life left in that broad axe. Don't forget to lap the back flat side of the head real good. That's where most of the wood contact goes on.

Plumb Boy Scout hatchet. Cool little hatchet, with minimal abuse, and a double stamp. It looks like a vintage handle, but it's not the typical red epoxy of the old Plumbs...maybe a replacement, unless the Boy Scout hatchets came this way. Anyone care to chime in?

Looks like an original Plumb handle to me. It's likely pre-Permabond (about 1956-57). I have a similar pre-Permanbond Plumb hatchet with a handle almost exactly like that. The swell at the end of the handle is peculiar to these Plumbs.

hatchet7.jpg

Thanks for the info! I was hoping it was an older model. It should be a great little hatchet once I clean it up.

I went to a garage sale where nothing was price marked so I made a pile. Cost $25.

DSC01486_zps1891f0c9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01488_zps840f891c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The single bit is shot but I hope I can salvage this nice old round knob handle.
DSC01487_zps9939d571.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Halfaxe; Kinda nice that you found an old Coleman stove that likely hasn't seen much use. Parks up here will no longer allow propane cylinders in their trash so I switched back over to white gas (and also gave up on camping in Prov Parks) 10 years ago. I gathered various derelict Colemans from roadsides and garage sales and put the best of all of them together into one unit. Colemans are not fashionable with the jet set outdoor types but they cook pretty darn good for me. The vapour chamber in newer stoves (less than 40 years old) is formed from sheet steel but the older ones have good sturdy castings.

Halfaxe; Kinda nice that you found an old Coleman stove that likely hasn't seen much use. Parks up here will no longer allow propane cylinders in their trash so I switched back over to white gas (and also gave up on camping in Prov Parks) 10 years ago. I gathered various derelict Colemans from roadsides and garage sales and put the best of all of them together into one unit. Colemans are not fashionable with the jet set outdoor types but they cook pretty darn good for me. The vapour chamber in newer stoves (less than 40 years old) is formed from sheet steel but the older ones have good sturdy castings.

I love Coleman stoves and lanterns, I have a half dozen or so. This is a 413e, the two burner big as a suitcase. It can burn lead-free gas in a pinch, but Coleman fuel is cleaner burning.

I love Coleman stoves and lanterns, I have a half dozen or so. This is a 413e, the two burner big as a suitcase. It can burn lead-free gas in a pinch, but Coleman fuel is cleaner burning.
They are somewhat oversized but I have organized them so the insides (when not in use) are filled with fuel bottles, torpedo level, fuel filters, funnel, oiler, wood shims, maintenance tools etc. I came across a rare 3 burner version a few years ago but haven't had the gumption to take that one out for a spin, yet. Likely those were marketed specifically to scout troops and hunt camps. I did one time see a WWII photo of a Canadian soldier preparing a pot of beans on a Coleman outside the ruins of a building in Holland. Presumably this explains the post-war green colour of Colemans as well as the red paint of their gas tanks.

They are somewhat oversized but I have organized them so the insides (when not in use) are filled with fuel bottles, torpedo level, fuel filters, funnel, oiler, wood shims, maintenance tools etc. I came across a rare 3 burner version a few years ago but haven't had the gumption to take that one out for a spin, yet. Likely those were marketed specifically to scout troops and hunt camps. I did one time see a WWII photo of a Canadian soldier preparing a pot of beans on a Coleman outside the ruins of a building in Holland. Presumably this explains the post-war green colour of Colemans as well as the red paint of their gas tanks.

I am a fan of the single burners. And its hard to beat the lanterns. My favorite lantern is one that bounced out of a pick up at one time. It looks a little rough but has out lasted its replacement, its replacement has been robbed for parts. The last part swap was the reservoir cap. Seal went bad in the old one. I didn't discover this until dusk in a canoe anchored in a river, cat fishing with my wife. I have got to hand it to her, she stayed calm the whole time the canoe was on fire and the river also. It's a little odd seeing fire on the water. Neither the canoe or lantern are any worse for ware.

One Collins Legitumus that has the remnants of a Master Mechanics sticker on a replacement haft that was never seated properly but got a really tight wedge. $3.00 at the local metal recycler.

I will reshape the haft and rehang the head further down on the shoulder. Contemplating reusing what looks like an aluminum wedge that runs the full length of the eye.

Came across this Sager Chemical 1927 for $5.00 at an estate sale. Its my first Sager Chemical so I was excited about it even though the poll is mushroomed a bit. It has never seen a grinder. Took a closer look at home and realized that the eye is a little disfigured at the shoulder from the pounding it took on the poll. Pounded it out flat with my 6lb railroad spike hammer thing and I think it looks like it will still be useable. I really like the size of this axe head and the profile of the cheeks. Looking forward to cleaning it up and putting it on a straight haft of some species of wood.

My $8.00 haul.

Two from the bay and three from the flea. REALLY happy with the Plumb Kentucky- got it cheap as no one bid, great condition head and handle. Will post more once I finish cleaning and dropping. Second Kentucky is Sager. The Jersey is a McClung- not sure who made the one with the crown??? Never seen a crown quite like this- marked for US sales with 3lbs and has either a CH or maybe Cm in bottom of crown- any help identifying is appreciated. Crown, eye and taper tell me it is Euro. Third is a Wards Master Quality- all three from the flea=15.00
Thanks,
Bill

I came across a rare 3 burner version a few years ago but haven't had the gumption to take that one out for a spin, yet. Likely those were marketed specifically to scout troops and hunt camps.

I have an old 1950's model 3-burner stove. Picked it up at a yard sale for $5. Bought a new cap and pump and it works great. FYI - I've found leather diaphragms that fit the pumps for sale at my local hardware store. A couple bucks makes a pump like new. The full size stoves and lanterns all use the same readily available pump. But the PEAK 1 stoves take a shorter pump that is no longer available. So with the PEAK 1 you have to replace the diaphragm.

I have an old 1950's model 3-burner stove. Picked it up at a yard sale for $5. Bought a new cap and pump and it works great. FYI - I've found leather diaphragms that fit the pumps for sale at my local hardware store. A couple bucks makes a pump like new. The full size stoves and lanterns all use the same readily available pump. But the PEAK 1 stoves take a shorter pump that is no longer available. So with the PEAK 1 you have to replace the diaphragm.
The leather cup washer pump rebuild kits are common hardware store Coleman items for northern rebuilds (ie up in the Yukon and Yellowknife) over the ordinary factory neoprene rebuild kits from around here. The rubber/plastic cups don't fare so well in cold temperatures whereas an oiled leather cup is bullet-proof. Yes my stuff (lamps and stoves) all have retrofitted leather cups in them. You do have to remember to oil them though, and always take a small oiler with you. Engine oil from off the dipstick works OK in an emergency.

Back