It followed me home (Part 2)

Todays $10

20190518-162945.jpg

20190518-162956.jpg

I have a couple of Stanley mitre boxes, a #60 and a #326, which I'm restoring. The #60 was a standard grade and the #326 was more of a deluxe grade. Even Stanley's best, the #326 wasn't as nice as the Langdon . When I replaced a door at an old community hall, I had to trim it out. Rather than packing my heavy compound sliding mitre saw, I brought the #60 mitre box. So much lighter, and it did as good a job. I bought the #60 off the widow for $40 with the saw. The#326 was a $20 throw in with a couple of axe heads, it's rusted solid in places ,so it's project. I had already picked up the second saw at the fleamarket for $5. The dealer jumped at $5,nobody wanted it.

I have a couple of Stanley mitre boxes, a #60 and a #326, which I'm restoring. The #60 was a standard grade and the #326 was more of a deluxe grade. Even Stanley's best, the #326 wasn't as nice as the Langdon . When I replaced a door at an old community hall, I had to trim it out. Rather than packing my heavy compound sliding mitre saw, I brought the #60 mitre box. So much lighter, and it did as good a job. I bought the #60 off the widow for $40 with the saw. The#326 was a $20 throw in with a couple of axe heads, it's rusted solid in places ,so it's project. I had already picked up the second saw at the fleamarket for $5. The dealer jumped at $5,nobody wanted it.
What is it that makes the Langdon a better or nicer box than the #326?

I could have my model # wrong, but it takes a 5" deep saw, so it's 3xx, the 2xx is a 4". The tag is missing, so I really have no idea what # it was originally. From what I understand, the first number is the saw depth, the next two are the length of the supplied saw. My saws are 26". I'll call it a #326. I remember reading the later Stanleys had bearings in the guides like the Langdon.

I always appreciate how much engineering went into the hand tools of that era. In their day they weren't inexpensive but were expected to last a lifetime or two. If you want to get that feeling, check out the price of a Festool SCMS saw. ( I don't have one)

It does have that adjustable handle fastener, but I haven't even sunk it into a piece of wood, much less a ten penny nail! I have another one that's just a head, and in rougher shape. Maybe I'll try that one on a nail before i touch up the edge. Wish I got mine for $2.

Does it really cut ten-penny nails without damage to the edge?:D

Seriously, that is :cool:

Has the Jones Adjustable Handle Fastener?

Bob

I am curious too...I like just about anything Langdon Millers Falls...but i also really like my Stanely SW NO. 244
Any reason why I cant have both..?;)
Aside from $$:D
All I know for sure is the Miller Falls is the most sought after and brings top dollar. But having no experience with it I don't know why. Probably just a matter of time before I come across one at a price I can't refuse.

"Introduced in 1932, the 2xxx's series, bearing familiar Nos such as 244, 358 etc in their number, were modified guide post and saw guides series of the older ones. They features rollers bearings in the saw guides. Probably to keep up with Millers-Falls models which features roller bearings in some of their Langdon saw guides. Note that they were available for a time along with the originals 244, 246 and 358. These redesigned saw guides look a lot like the ones used in the Millers-Falls, go figure... " the galoots love the Langdon.

By the way I was wrong calling mine a # 326, it was really a #358, just missing it's saw. The saw I have for it is an Canadian made Atkins 5x26 .

With all the help you guys have given me on axes, I should give back ,here is some mitre box info http://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-stanley-mitre-boxes-family.html

"Introduced in 1932, the 2xxx's series, bearing familiar Nos such as 244, 358 etc in their number, were modified guide post and saw guides series of the older ones. They features rollers bearings in the saw guides. Probably to keep up with Millers-Falls models which features roller bearings in some of their Langdon saw guides. Note that they were available for a time along with the originals 244, 246 and 358. These redesigned saw guides look a lot like the ones used in the Millers-Falls, go figure... " the galoots love the Langdon.

By the way I was wrong calling mine a # 326, it was really a #358, just missing it's saw. The saw I have for it is an Canadian made Atkins 5x26 .

With all the help you guys have given me on axes, I should give back ,here is some mitre box info http://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-stanley-mitre-boxes-family.html

My Stanely 244 guides, are original, but do not have the bearings. Pre '32 sweetheart perhaps...;)
Thank you for the info and the link as well...I look forward to a little reading later tonight

Back