It followed me home (Part 2)

20190531-160401.jpg

20190531-160412.jpg

39" X 10" X 1 1/4"
About 50lbs to start I'd say.

For $3...I saw...a saw anvil.

Or if i break it soon enough, i will incorporate the pieces in the patio and walk i am putting in.

Win Win
Looks like a flattening plate for oil and water stones. When it's done straightening saws. :D

Nothing, absolutely nothing:(
It was supposed to follow me home from the post office yesterday, but for some reason it got sent to a postal facility in the wrong direction, then back to the correct regional facility this morning where it made it's way to the local post office.
It's delivered and available for pickup and I even got a package notification in my PO box, but the head postal worker doesn't like to give out packages on Saturday so I've gotta wait till Monday :mad::mad:

Why do they even give you a package notification if they won't let you turn it in and get your package yet ?
They should just wait till Monday, but they're taunting me I tell ya.

Nothing, absolutely nothing:(
It was supposed to follow me home from the post office yesterday, but for some reason it got sent to a postal facility in the wrong direction, then back to the correct regional facility this morning where it made it's way to the local post office.
It's delivered and available for pickup and I even got a package notification in my PO box, but the head postal worker doesn't like to give out packages on Saturday so I've gotta wait till Monday :mad::mad:

Why do they even give you a package notification if they won't let you turn it in and get your package yet ?
They should just wait till Monday, but they're taunting me I tell ya.
If the Post Office is open and they have your package...huh?

If the Post Office is open and they have your package...huh?
Technically they're not open, they were there to sort the load of mail that arrived and put flats in people's boxes.
They're then totally locked from 12pm till 5am Monday morning, 12pm till 5am every day but nobody works on Sunday.
You can't even check your mail at all in this time since they had some po box break-ins last year.
I'm so anxious to get that 19" hatchet I bought from you off eBay .

Got a few new things.
jR1cCRO.jpg

My favorite is the shovel. It says 42 on top of the D handle and it's immaculate. Like almost off the showroom floor clean. I'm presuming it's 1842?
bfdsWrv.jpg

It has "WB" in a box and then "Sanderson best steel" 5.
TRWBnuA.jpg

A Dayton TT wood slasher which, although in very good shape with oodles of temper, I bought for the haft. And some hatchets. A small craftsman on the original stick;
MKnQQBF.jpg

Then an "acme" half hatchet which appears to me to be forge welded and another hatchet that has "drop forged" stamped into the cheek. I already filed and honed the acme hatchet. It's good steel!
hZeHsNZ.jpg

And a log rule? Loggers yard sick? Not sure what you call it but I've got one!
7RFYwpJ.jpg

And just one more photo of that shovel... some letters and the word "steel" stamped inside the shovel near where the rivets are.
Htt3fnK.jpg

I'll make a post in the shovel thread later where it belongs. . Take care everyone!

My favorite is the shovel. It says 42 on top of the D handle and it's immaculate. Like almost off the showroom floor clean. I'm presuming it's 1842?

No, not 1842 for sure. The handle loop would be one piece of wood. The '42' may have nothing to do with its production date. Or it could be 1942. To me it looks like a 1920s or 1930s tool. A top line version would be forged or welded not riveted.

Just the same it's a fantastic shovel and the part we can see is in terrific condition. I look forward to the pics in the shovel thread. It looks extremely solid. Polished and waxed it would make a dandy snow shovel. But it's made for manure.

I don't know if it changes your opinion of the date(i mean it's age) but it is all one piece. 15594299114661336185599432060818.jpg 15594299334546020312927446766196.jpg
That's what led me to believe it at least could be that old. Were they making shovels like this in 1942 still? For some reason I figured they'd all be socket type by then. I'm putting together the shovel thread post soon. Working on that ash handle while I've daylight left. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don't know if it changes your opinion of the date but it is all one piece. View attachment 1138430 View attachment 1138438
That's what led me to believe it at least could be that old. Were they making shovels like this in 1942 still? For some reason I figured they'd all be socket type by then. I'm putting together the shovel thread post soon. Working on that ash handle while I've daylight left. :thumbsup:
I get the impression maybe there was a company still making old school premium farm / Garden tools like this but what do I know.
How long is it and or it's handle ?
The 42 could be a length / model for the handle during production.

Man that shovel is cool but I would be all over that craftsman don’t see that stamp much and it’s probaly a Vaughn that true temper is sweet too.Asked about one of these yesterday and my partner stopped by with something his buddy gave him for me because they know I like axes funny how things turn up.

Back