It followed me home (Part 2)

Yesterday I had the terrific opportunity to spend the morning with forum member T Trailsawyer attending the June swap meet/meeting for the Pacific Northwest Tool Collectors. There was amazing amount of tools and quite a few unique oddities that I couldn’t rquite place. I was taken with the people themselves, their stories, and the sense of community. The hosting member has an indescribable collection of tools.

Trailsawyer, thank you for your persistence in getting me to attend, especially for acting as my guide and all the introductions to members. I’m glad I joined the group and look forward to more get-togethers.

The swap meet did leave me a little speechless, a greehorn reaction I am sure – no junk, nothing but beautiful tools, catalogs, and camaraderie. Although, there was a certain nutcracker that should have followed me home but it wouldn’t have been allowed in the house lol.

I could have spent much more but I did acquire a nice EC Atkins Criterion Co saw set, 3 spiders, and this wild 3 1/2 lb Simonds dogs head hammer - 4lbs 2oz with the handle (I’ll post some pics in the hammer thread):

Woofing.hammer

Yesterday I had the terrific opportunity to spend the morning with forum member T Trailsawyer attending the June swap meet/meeting for the Pacific Northwest Tool Collectors. There was amazing amount of tools and quite a few unique oddities that I couldn’t rquite place. I was taken with the people themselves, their stories, and the sense of community. The hosting member has an indescribable collection of tools.

Trailsawyer, thank you for your persistence in getting me to attend, especially for acting as my guide and all the introductions to members. I’m glad I joined the group and look forward to more get-togethers.

The swap meet did leave me a little speechless, a greehorn reaction I am sure – no junk, nothing but beautiful tools, catalogs, and camaraderie. Although, there was a certain nutcracker that should have followed me home but it wouldn’t have been allowed in the house lol.

I could have spent much more but I did acquire a nice EC Atkins Criterion Co saw set, 3 spiders, and this wild 3 1/2 lb Simonds dogs head hammer - 4lbs 2oz with the handle (I’ll post some pics in the hammer thread):

Woofing.hammer

Oh my. Amazing saw set! ...and spiders too. The woofing hammer is so cool.
Now back to this awesome opportunity you were able to join T Trailsawyer on...sounds absolutley like a tongue wagging, greenhorn, blow me away overwhelmingly great time.
Fantastic guys for getting together and sharing time and tools! :cool::thumbsup:

Agent_H - It was great to finally get together with you yesterday, and I'm glad you enjoyed the day. I can't imagine the comments you would have made if you had been able to stick around just a little longer and partake in the lunch... especially the Strawberry Shortcake!! I'm looking forward to another outing!
The tool collectors meetings are always interesting...... great people showing off their collected items, and always telling great stories to go with them!
I'm still having trouble posting pictures here (yesterdays tips will help, I'm sure!) but I was also able to bring a couple nice items home from the sale - a 5 ft. two man crosscut saw with a pair of Atkins #24 handles, a Witherby draw knife, a Simonds steel thickness gauge, and a Collins Red Seal 5" hewing hatchet!
An all around Great Day!

Nice! would you call it a house axe? What's the eye size?

I forgot to mention the overall weight is 1lb 12oz, it's definitely a hatchet head it's gotta be about 1-1/4lb considered the weight of the haft.

I don't know what I'd call it, baby camp axe or pack axe I guess.
Probably something that would put one of those trendy little swedish GB axes to shame.

Last edited:
Speaking of jb... I got this cherry of a Plumb from him a few weeks ago.

I haven't been home enough to post it up as it wound up finished. I wanted to have a red finish on the haft denoting its pedigree, but it came out much brighter than I wanted. It's more dark brown with a strong red undertone now.

But y'all have to see it and i can't wait to get some current pics, so here's this beautiful Connie:

20190603_211626-2016x727.jpg

Pictures don't do the gal justice. Thanks jb, this is one of my favorites.

There was still a tiny bit of paper label on the head (gone, I don't care I'm using it), virgin edge, hard steel, permabond, 3² on 30". Needed a little dry heat to straighten out the haft, but it came out perfect.

I haven't been home enough to post it up as it wound up finished. I wanted to have a red finish on the haft denoting its pedigree, but it came out much brighter than I wanted. It's more dark brown with a strong red undertone now.

But y'all have to see it and i can't wait to get some current pics, so here's this beautiful Connie:

View attachment 1139343

There was still a tiny bit of paper label on the head (gone, I don't care I'm using it), virgin edge, hard steel, permabond, 3² on 30". Needed a little dry heat to straighten out the haft, but it came out perfect.

He sure doesn't sell junk, that's a real beauty.

The tongue on this little guy could use a bit of straightening, but he said it was tight and he meant it.
No matter what I tried the haft wasn't coming off so I re-wedged it and the slightly crooked head isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
Made in Germany

Waltham

20190604-104953.jpg

20190604-104856.jpg

20190604-105005.jpg

HECSHARP
3 1/2

20190604-105111.jpg

20190604-105046.jpg

20190604-105029.jpg

20190604-105127.jpg

Courtesy of Agent H.
A pre 70's Vaughan / Craftsman in great condition.

I'm at a bit of a toss up here, I don't know if it should be the head I carve my first handle for or if I should hang it in a factory one and use it to carve my first handle.
I don't really have anything else that needs a handle right now, but I also don't have a proper carving type hatchet that I as a lefty could use in making a handle.

Last edited:

View attachment 1139343

That sure is a looker, and I love the grind you put on it.

Back