1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Oooh oooh I'm a scout I'm a scout! Hahaha.
    Congrats man that is a really nice hatchet. Tons of temper left too! It's so gratifying to find stamps as you're cleaning them... a great feeling!

Nbrackett, A17 and Travbud1 like this.
  2. DanH45

DanH45

Feb 12, 2015
    JB, I would be interested in some of the smithing tools if you are willing to part with them.

3. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Sure, let me know which ones. Probably best to message me.

4. nageljo

nageljo

Mar 4, 2012
    Is there any threads to share a possible deal? I was digging around craigslist for some local axes and hatchets and while I struck out finding anything close, I found a post that has potential for the people that love vintage items and like to re-hang them. I don't want to go posting a craigslist post if it is against the rules or should go somewhere else, but would love to spread the love if some members are a lot closer than me.

DanH45, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  5. DanH45

DanH45

Feb 12, 2015
    Don't know about the rules for cl links.

What city?

nageljo and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  6. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Hanover, MA. If you can, just send me a message on the forum.

7. nageljo

nageljo

Mar 4, 2012
    Rochester, MN.

Has a bunch of handles, hammers, and some axes. Says the are/were their dad's hobby. Update us if anyone runs this down!

A17 likes this.
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I know what you want that for........

A17, Yankee Josh and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  9. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    It might be perfect! I’m working on getting dimensions of the stock support bar.

A17, Square_peg, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  10. Astrogator

Astrogator

Mar 19, 2012
    This Sickle was found in an unused Outhouse (Long-drop) on a South African farm :D :D :D.
    The tool is stamped "HUTTON & Co. Made in /Vervaardig in SA" , sadly this company is no longer in existence , and I do not know its age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    How do they expect you to sharpen a serrated edge? Also, why does a sickle have a serrated edge?

Astrogator and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  12. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I’m guessing it’s a corn hook. Some corn hooks and cereal grain hooks had serrated edges.

A17, Astrogator and Trailsawyer like this.
  13. Astrogator

Astrogator

Mar 19, 2012
    This farm has been owned by the same family for generations.
    Before heavy machinery like tractors and combine harvesters came into common use , hand tools like the sickle and scythe were used to harvest wheat and other cereals.
    I have no idea how the serrated sickle was sharpened , but there must have been a way as money was in very short supply in those days.

I am always amazed at how hard those old time farmers had to work for a living , we modern people are Softies in comparison.

Cheers.

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    But they also didn't live long. The average life expectancy of an American male in 1925 was 57 years. I'll take a little softness to live longer.

http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html

Fmont, ithinkverydeeply, A17 and 3 others like this.
  15. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Some time ago I posted this and nobody had any info on it. Recently I have seen another with more complete stamps on eBay. This is an early, early Plumb. The remnant of the Anchor stamp is to the right of "handforged." I don't know if this is something before Fayette's/Yerkes connection, but I'm glad to have it regardless. Mine:

20190613_055621-1424x2133.jpg

Without the eBay listing I would not have known that was an anchor. eBay one:

Screenshot_20190612-110809_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190612-110828_eBay.jpg

ETA: The original post

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/it-followed-me-home-part-2.1190276/page-379#post-18656073

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  16. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    That's a great one and a great feeling to ID. Sweet!

A17, Yankee Josh, junkenstien and 3 others like this.
  17. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I had a feeling about it. It was being sold by a guy clearing out a lot of realllly nice axes, anvils, vises, etc. This was one of the cheapest things he sold, I think. There was a Labatt Blue (if I'm recalling correctly) can in all his pictures. He didn't remember anything about it. But I considered the company it was in, and figured it was probably "something." I bought a three pound db Flint Edge off him too, rare in its own right.

18. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Really great hunting

Oh no! Now add that to the list of "needs" :D

A17, Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  19. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Not sure about the Plumb part.
    I would look into possibility of being produced in Lewistown or Mill Hall for James H. Mann company https://bladeforums.com/threads/cast-steel-94-id-help-maybe.1584871/#post-18745459

[​IMG]
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-james-mann-co-axe-head-4lbs-1922832549

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Miller '72, A17 and garry3 like this.
  20. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    Yeah I looked into Mann when I was first looking into this thing. That dead-ended as a "maybe somehow," as I call em. But I didn't know that the indiscernible stamp on mine was an anchor, which pretty much seals the deal for me. At any rate, these two are definitely of the same origin.

Miller '72 and A17 like this.