It followed me home (Part 2)

Square peg, those stats are a bit skewed . Infant mortality was much higher then. Still when was the last time one of our age group of friends died of a heart attack.

On a more pleasant topic, I picked up a couple of hatchets yesterday. One was a Craftsman without a stamp but the haft was stamped with green paint Craftsman 30505. It has a nice convex shape width wise. The other was more interesting, a head only, hewing hatchet. It has a hot stamped Made In England on the side of the poll with TGL ??? on the haft end . I guess since it's English I should call it a Kent pattern. The edge had a serious curve to it, which looks factory.

This Sager was at one of my go-to axe hunting spots, and I walked away from it last week after a long internal debate. Decided that I didn't really need it, and figured it would get snatched up by someone else quickly. Well I was surprised to see it still sitting there when I stopped by the shop today, and figured it was a sign! Looks like it has seen a long life of use, but not much abuse, great shape overall especially for the age.

Sager Chemical 1929 Puget Sound Felling axe, 4 1/4lbs

Jxnyz2e.jpg
K4KyCc7.jpg
2BJKh3b.jpg
0WUqfAz.jpg

Thought some of y’all might like the square.

[/

Red tang file...Simmonds?
Tin snips Crescent?
Really great score. The drill index is great. Any bits with it? Reminds me of all the different metal indexes on my dads and my grandads work benches.

Speaking of grandad...
I like all of it.
I don't know why but I find that narrow drill index to be very cool. I'm uses to seeing much larger wider ones that hold a heck of a lot more bits, that or the old " Drill box " produced for many companies such as black and Decker back when they made a premium power tool.

20190613-200848.jpg

20190613-200859.jpg

Drills the occasional eye free of any handle material
:thumbsup:

Red tang file...Simmonds?
Tin snips Crescent?
Really great score. The drill index is great. Any bits with it? Reminds me of all the different metal indexes on my dads and my grandads work benches.

Speaking of grandad...

20190613-200848.jpg

20190613-200859.jpg

Drills the occasional eye free of any handle material
:thumbsup:
that reminds me i have to fix that really old one i found

The interesting stamping on that knife...most intriguing. Hopefully someone notices and recognizes.

Reactions: A17
This Sager was at one of my go-to axe hunting spots, and I walked away from it last week after a long internal debate. Decided that I didn't really need it, and figured it would get snatched up by someone else quickly. Well I was surprised to see it still sitting there when I stopped by the shop today, and figured it was a sign! Looks like it has seen a long life of use, but not much abuse, great shape overall especially for the age.

Sager Chemical 1929 Puget Sound Felling axe, 4 1/4lbs

Jxnyz2e.jpg
K4KyCc7.jpg
2BJKh3b.jpg
0WUqfAz.jpg

Now that internal debate can be put to rest :D

What a great example full of rich scars from work and maybe from being put aside after a couple three decades of that work.
Another goes on the "need" list.;)

Great score T Travbud1 - DAD with his first Father's Day coming up:thumbsup: already knows to just treat himself;):cool:

I picked up one of those 1994 " Disston " saws for $4.
Not a fantastic saw In my experience but still better than many wood handled saws you can buy at a hardware store today.

I don't know who actually made these saws, but likely someone like Great Neck.

The teeth are covered in tar, but I got enough of it off to see that the teeth are still relatively sharp.

Not bad for a local garage sale. Most the axes are crap but the tackle box is almost folk art!
9-A246-D23-B35-A-484-A-8640-DD4120-E1-F0-CE.jpg

4-A61818-A-84-D6-43-F6-80-F9-3-F208854-FBDB.jpg

I’m not sure what the brush cutter thing is but it’s a True-Temper Kelly Works. (It’s very short but doesn’t look like it was broken?)
CA4-F9-EFE-AAF3-4308-9495-4-B4-B5-A359-F34.jpg

The flask holder and bait rack. The handle is a big hook.
93-A7-DBF9-761-E-42-ED-B811-07-BE0975351-B.jpg

It came with a beer tap, because of course it came with a beer tap.
CA77-A749-BC2-F-4857-B7-E1-201-B6-D650-B6-C.jpg

Happy fishing!

Last edited:
Not bad for a local garage sale. Most the axes are crap but the tackle box is almost folk art!
9-A246-D23-B35-A-484-A-8640-DD4120-E1-F0-CE.jpg

4-A61818-A-84-D6-43-F6-80-F9-3-F208854-FBDB.jpg

I’m not sure what the brush cutter thing is but it’s a True-Temper Kelly Works. (It’s very short but doesn’t look like it was broken?)
CA4-F9-EFE-AAF3-4308-9495-4-B4-B5-A359-F34.jpg

The flask holder and bait rack. The handle is a big hook.
93-A7-DBF9-761-E-42-ED-B811-07-BE0975351-B.jpg

It came with a beer tap, because of course it came with a beer tap.
CA77-A749-BC2-F-4857-B7-E1-201-B6-D650-B6-C.jpg

Happy fishing!

I agree, a great tackle box.

Sets the bar really...all other tackle boxes moving forward will need to have a flask pocket and beer tap on the ready.

Still a couple good looking axes in there!

Back