It followed me home (Part 2)

That tackle box is an American treasure!

I got a treasure off the bay, albeit more straight-laced. Behold:

20190613_211247-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211153-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211238-1512x2016.jpg 20190613_211129-1512x2016.jpg

Interestingly the lugs on my other one are swept back. This one is easy to date with the take up wedge. I'm just going to keep this one for posterity. I really love these things, and having one in incredible condition to keep and one to use is fantastic.

Not bad for a local garage sale. Most the axes are crap but the tackle box is almost folk art!
9-A246-D23-B35-A-484-A-8640-DD4120-E1-F0-CE.jpg

4-A61818-A-84-D6-43-F6-80-F9-3-F208854-FBDB.jpg

I’m not sure what the brush cutter thing is but it’s a True-Temper Kelly Works. (It’s very short but doesn’t look like it was broken?)
CA4-F9-EFE-AAF3-4308-9495-4-B4-B5-A359-F34.jpg

The flask holder and bait rack. The handle is a big hook.
93-A7-DBF9-761-E-42-ED-B811-07-BE0975351-B.jpg

It came with a beer tap, because of course it came with a beer tap.
CA77-A749-BC2-F-4857-B7-E1-201-B6-D650-B6-C.jpg

Happy fishing!
I also got a couple things that were hiding in my van and missed the picture. Stamp on the wedge looks like it says “Towns Fall”? The Proto pliers and screwdriver are very similar to last weeks find...
0-D82-BC60-C0-D1-4419-95-E7-9751-A8-FB910-A.jpg

I still don’t know what that brush utter looking thing is, I’m hoping someone can help?

Last edited:
I stopped by a place yesterday and got a Time Life book that was part of an "Old West" series from the 70's, this one being named, "The Loggers." A fun browse with cool photos and interesting tales. Also a NOS Nicholson 12" half round, double cut bastard.

That tackle box is an American treasure!

I got a treasure off the bay, albeit more straight-laced. Behold:

View attachment 1145161 View attachment 1145159 View attachment 1145162 View attachment 1145160

Interestingly the lugs on my other one are swept back. This one is easy to date with the take up wedge. I'm just going to keep this one for posterity. I really love these things, and having one in incredible condition to keep and one to use is fantastic.

It's in amazing condition for a hatchet old enough to have a take-up screw.

Picked up this Plumb BSA hatchet a few weeks ago for $2. The handle was very wobbly and I was able to pull the wedge out easily with pliers. Did a vinegar soak and some wire brushing on the head which then took a keen edge with a little filing then stone sharpening. Decided to try and keep the original handle so I sanded it then soaked in BLO overnight, which did it a world of good. Rehafted it and I'm pretty content with the results.

Dunno why the edge looks all chalky in the pic... I'm not a very good photographer.

Guess I should have posted this in the "what did you rehaft today" thread... Move it?

"BLO"?

My family went by to wish my father-in-law a happy Father's day today. He had found out a few months back that I enjoyed working on old axes and had looked around his old shop and found several which he gave me today. Two woodslasher db, one knotklipper db, one Collins sb, one ?? M db, and a bush axe blade. Should keep me busy for a while.
https://flic.kr/p/2gfeGKS

Thank you!

other than for finishing the wood what does soaking in "BLO" accomplish?

I know what soaking an axe head in Vinegar does, For quicker results I've used both Citric and Oxalic acid as well as Muriatic/Hydrochloric, I've used Hydrofluoric Acid, but don't like working with it or near it.

IF you are brave and equipped to do so molten Sodium Hydroxide also removes rust, Molten Potassium Nitrate can make a corrosion resistant coating on steel, that technique is often used on small gun parts.

Thank you!

other than for finishing the wood what does soaking in "BLO" accomplish?

I know what soaking an axe head in Vinegar does, For quicker results I've used both Citric and Oxalic acid as well as Muriatic/Hydrochloric, I've used Hydrofluoric Acid, but don't like working with it or near it.

IF you are brave and equipped to do so molten Sodium Hydroxide also removes rust, Molten Potassium Nitrate can make a corrosion resistant coating on steel, that technique is often used on small gun parts.

The BLO nourishes and protects the wood.

Happy father's day to all the dads out there!

This cruiser came home with me yesterday. No maker's mark but nice full bits and a quick file test reveals good hard steel. It does look like someone attempted to polish the head, but stopped after about 150 grit...ugh.

The handle is actually what caught my eye more so than the head, nice grain, slim, and straight as an arrow. Too often I find nice old handles with huge bends in them. One of these days I'll take a stab at steam straightening, in the meantime I'll just treasure the nice hafts when I find them.

Now the question is, re-hang this head on the same haft, or wait for a "nicer" cruiser to come along. Hmm...

ZAFM11X.jpg
H61GYiL.jpg
iOFjIjN.jpg
hz4Zt9i.jpg

Happy father's day to all the dads out there!

This cruiser came home with me yesterday. No maker's mark but nice full bits and a quick file test reveals good hard steel. It does look like someone attempted to polish the head, but stopped after about 150 grit...ugh.

The handle is actually what caught my eye more so than the head, nice grain, slim, and straight as an arrow. Too often I find nice old handles with huge bends in them. One of these days I'll take a stab at steam straightening, in the meantime I'll just treasure the nice hafts when I find them.

Now the question is, re-hang this head on the same haft, or wait for a "nicer" cruiser to come along. Hmm...

ZAFM11X.jpg
H61GYiL.jpg
iOFjIjN.jpg
hz4Zt9i.jpg
I vote rehang as well! You said the steel had good temper and it's a nice full pattern.
Plus if you start "saving" handles you might end up with another storage problem! 15607400524066868925649177063569.jpg
Lol. These are just the best ones! Haha. My girlfriend is like "babe do you really need another handle?" I say "yeah"!! And happy father's day!

Back