It followed me home (Part 2)

I’m sure many of you already have this but I acquired a vintage copy of The Loggers from the old Time Life, Old West series.
Wow, it is cool. All these iconic photos.... it’s got great historical information as well.
B6-EF56-FF-24-CD-4-BC2-94-D3-4588-DC7-A3753.jpg

EB72-F341-B366-4-B23-A11-C-A56-F01-C5-CB62.jpg

D6-B435-FD-1-C1-B-4131-A613-DB4-DB6164586.jpg

Don’t f’ with these guys.
A734-A279-6435-41-A8-9-ED7-8-ACDEBD09-A64.jpg

Ok, I’d like to see the Site Specific Safety Plan. OSHA is going to have something to say about joy riding on logs.
ADF16-B62-4-A84-4-C3-C-939-F-BE7-CDC642-B6-F.jpg
Check out these guys Sunday expedition “It Followed Me Home”. They found actual human skulls, I haven’t seen get one of those yet. ;)
31384856-0949-4470-945-A-A67965307-D70.jpg

The book talks extensively about flumes.
This reminded me of what what we did when I was a teenager....
C71069-FD-125-C-4063-8636-5-ED90-E55267-B.jpg

95-CC807-A-0-EF2-4-D0-C-884-C-515-CB141-EEE0.jpg

In the old west days they would have races down the flumes sometimes. Frickin’ deadly people would loose fingers if there log brushed against the wall.

So I grew up in Reno, NV by Carson City and every so often you would hear about a terrible accident in the flumes. Public awareness campaigns with “don’t play in the flumes.” billboards etc. So of course we would play in the flumes!

As teenagers we would go up to the Truckee River to party and cliff dive. We would play in the flumes, in a testosterone driven game of life and death.

Here is how it went. You find an entangled section of catwalk and tie a rope to it dangling into the water. Sometimes you tied a second rope as a backup. But not typically.
Then you either walk up the cat walk if it’s complete enough or climb down and hole up the river a few hundred yards and simple jump in.

Once you sober up you realize how swiftly you are being swept away in a 10’ x 10’ chute with no obstacles or wide banks to slow you. It’s all you can do to stay afloat and dog paddle away from the walls. After a couple quick S turns you round a bend and see it.
All you know is that rope is your life.

Who even knows what is downstream, a waterfall, dam, or power plant. You would probably die on a grate or under a bridge before that.

But with the senses heightened by adrenaline and a Matrix like slow motion ability giving you all the time in the world to make decisions, you grab the rope and get hoisted out of the flume to an eruption of celebratory cheers and youthful exuberance. Ahh. Good times... :cool:

On a side: In that same location at the river near Tahoe we would go cliff diving. There were times we would do this in February!
We literately had to throw rocks in the river to break ice away from the edges where we were going to land! You want to walk on water? Jump into the Truckee, near Tahoe, in February. :eek:

Cheers!

Last edited:
I picked up these for a total of $15 today. I'm not sure what the 4 odd hammers on the bottom right are for. The big ax head is a True Temper. It has some letters stamped on the opposite side but I don't know what it says. The tongs are an odd shape but they move freely.

3BCpCSt.jpg

fYuba8h.jpg

De9M6u0.jpg

4p22SYN.jpg

Good looking axes, those hammers are interesting. What is the name on them?

I picked up these for a total of $15 today. I'm not sure what the 4 odd hammers on the bottom right are for. The big ax head is a True Temper. It has some letters stamped on the opposite side but I don't know what it says. The tongs are an odd shape but they move freely.

3BCpCSt.jpg

fYuba8h.jpg

De9M6u0.jpg

4p22SYN.jpg
Is the big axe cut-down? At first I thought it was a modified fire axe because the poll looked short but with the F. S. stamp I wonder, could it be a modified Pulaski?

Last edited:
Look like slag hammers to me.

That book is a good one. Also check out the books by Ralph W. Andrews, I have 3 of his books. The best of all is "Kinsey Photographer" Published by Chronicle Books, 1986, San Francisco, Produced by Dave Bohn and Rodolfo Petschek. This is prints of the negatives by Darius and Tabitha Kinsey.

Last edited:
This miter hacksaw is unmarked and missing it's base, but it was only $6.50 so I bought it.

I've got an idea or two for a makeshift base that'll allow me to cut stuff with it.
Limited on the versatility compared to what could be done with the original base, but that's okay.

old fellow told me that the family took the axes so I settled for the next best thing--was a good Friday morning--all this from 1 sale....
complete set of old barcalo wrenches on left--complete zyliss vise and only the 1 rusty true temper axe...….DSC07184.JPG DSC07185.JPG DSC07186.JPG DSC07187.JPG DSC07188.JPG

old fellow told me that the family took the axes so I settled for the next best thing--was a good Friday morning--all this from 1 sale....
complete set of old barcalo wrenches on left--complete zyliss vise and only the 1 rusty true temper axe...….View attachment 1152736 View attachment 1152737 View attachment 1152738 View attachment 1152739 View attachment 1152740

Great score on the Barcalo wrenches, and the ratchets too.
I see the one looks like a PROTO pear head and the large SNAP-ON.
But what's the other I can't see it very well but in the pictures it almost looks like a Blackhawk baldie.

the large is a matco 1/2" drive and 1/4" proto and other no markings....

Ok now that I know I can See that it's a MATCO, the handle isn't exactly right for a SNAP-ON.

That Roundhead ratchet doesn't exactly look like a typical cheapo from what I can see, can you post a better picture ?

Back