It followed me home (Part 2)

YP-just my experience, while the S&N broad axe is great to collect, it never hewed logs to my satisfaction.
I was planning on leaving it as is for the collection and not for use. But thank you for for the advice. Plus this one is a Chinese made example I'm pretty sure. But I liked the way it is zip tied to the original haft and has the label. Don't see that every day. I really hope to find a S&N sleeper pattern. They come around once in awhile but are usually pretty worn.
About the size... Have you found much use for a medium size broad axe?

Am I mistaken or is this axe ground on the wrong side? Bevel is down here;
rNgvUWw.jpg

And up here;
UAyWrWW.jpg

Is having the bevel facing the hewn log an option? It seems even the stickers are on the wrong side...
de2knJU.jpg

EPiLr0m.jpg

I couldn't help but clean some of that rust off. I was careful with the zip tie so I can reuse it.

I was pretty excited to find a Snow & Neally sleeper pattern. It's more like a regular small broad axe really than a sleeper. I know it's not one of the old ones but it's still pretty cool to have.
I don't know what you mean by "old", but that label has been around since at least 1937 and that label was used for at least as long as the family owned the company which they sold in 1998 to Christopher Hutchins.

Time line has not been kept up and some links and images are dead, but fwiw:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/snow-nealley-time-line.1355076/

Bob

I don't know what you mean by "old", but that label has been around since at least 1937 and that label was used for at least as long as the family owned the company which they sold in 1998 to Christopher Hutchins.

Time line has not been kept up and some links and images are dead, but fwiw:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/snow-nealley-time-line.1355076/

Bob
Yes I'm aware of the age of the label and that thread. But thanks for the reminder. I just meant that it appears to be of mono steel construction. I'm not clear on when they used what process for manufacture however. Gut feelings don't always hold up to scrutiny but it just feels like China. Also it seems to me it'd have some stamps if it were made in the U.S
But I'd love to be wrong about it! It does have the nicest ring of any axe that I own. It just keeps ringing and ringing. A very pleasant tone too. Weighs #5.4.5oz. Measures 9-1/4" x 7-1/4".

Edit; i did go back to that thread and read some more... You did a great service by the way! Thank you for all that work! I'm starting to doubt my earlier conviction. It likely was made here in the U.S.
Do you happen to know Bob if they used mono steel construction in Bangor at any time prior to out sourcing the heads?

Last edited:
A medium size broad axe comes into play sometimes. Yes, bevel is ground on wrong side. Actually the geometry is completely wacked. I believe it to be American made. I remember seeing these in the late 60's or 70's. Never thought they hewed well at all. You can hew with a bevel to the stick, European style. But the European axes that hew with bevel to stick have there own distinct geometry.

Yes I'm aware of the age of the label
When I said I don't know what you mean by "old", I only meant to imply that "old" is a subjective word. I also thought you may have been a little apologetic about your axe. IMHO, don't be.

It likely was made here in the U.S.
When I did the time line I gave myself some rules, and one of them was that opinions/conclusions would not be part of the actual time line. I only wanted to list events in chronological order that I could give reasonable citations for. That said, it's my conclusion that S & N axes were always made in the US until what I call the Hutchins era. After Hutchins bought S & N manufacturing stopped in Bangor and existing stock was sold off. When Hutchins sold S & N the new owner said the stuff sold at that time was coming from overseas.

Do you happen to know Bob if they used mono steel construction in Bangor at any time prior to out sourcing the heads?
Good question. I wish I could tell you.

Bob

When I said I don't know what you mean by "old", I only meant to imply that "old" is a subjective word. I also thought you may have been a little apologetic about your axe. IMHO, don't be.

When I did the time line I gave myself some rules, and one of them was that opinions/conclusions would not be part of the actual time line. I only wanted to list events in chronological order that I could give reasonable citations for. That said, it's my conclusion that S & N axes were always made in the US until what I call the Hutchins era. After Hutchins bought S & N manufacturing stopped in Bangor and existing stock was sold off. When Hutchins sold S & N the new owner said the stuff sold at that time was coming from overseas.

Good question. I wish I could tell you.

Bob
I certainly appreciate you keeping conjecture and opinion out of the time line! We can rely on it that way! I can't help but give a guess or two when I find a piece though... When in fact, sadly, the truth may never be known. When I can't "know" something I can at least give an educated guess. Especially with help from you good folks.
I have a lead on a guy that worked for Snow & Neally for 20 years. That's where that broad axe came from. I'm trying to sleuth his number as I know two people that have purchased stuff from him. I'm hoping we can get some definitive answers that way. Can you think of any pertinent questions I should ask him? I have a short list but I'm adding to it as I think of relevant questions.
Oh and in this case by "old" I meant prior to them being outsourced. (I've since changed my mind on this point but that was my original thought) I have a feeling that they switched to mono steel construction at some point before that. That's my first question..

Last edited:
After looking for awhile this finally arrived in my mailbox this Monday. A genuine "WEDEN" (pronounced weden).

SP5GTTa.jpg

A rare one for sure with the original handle.;)

y8Gnql4.jpg

Often copied, but never duplicated. This axe is highly prized by the bush whacking community. With this axe and a Swiss Army knife a person can survive indefinitely in the bush. It has the unique ability to take assorted fasteners into the bush for making all sorts of neat stuff. It's almost like having a hardware store 24/7 in the middle of nowhere.:cool::thumbsup:

g9gy8ca.jpg

Well. . . :rolleyes:

I have been looking for a 0,5-0,6 Kg head for a carving axe. I have a 0,6 Kg (1 1/4 lb.) Hults Bruk hatchet that I like very much, but was thinking a shorter fatter handle on it would be a lot more comfortable for me to carve with. Since I recently rehung it replacing the goop (epoxy) and wedging it I don't want to rehang it again. As an aside, am I making a good enough case to justify an axe head purchase? Anyway, all that I wanted was a small untouched axe head.

vYA9uj9.jpg

Before I literally disassembled the WEDEN I did run a file across the blade. To be honest this was a roll the dice purchase, but the steel is hard. Will see when the green flag drops.

So, that's my WEDEN carving axe head ready for a handle.

This person uses a pretty unique style that would be fun to try:

3pf1mpw.jpg

Bob

Find a junker to cut up, not a nice GBA. My china jersey hatchet has surprised me in terms of quality. While not quite gba quality, its still a pretty decent hatchet.

After looking for awhile this finally arrived in my mailbox this Monday. A genuine "WEDEN" (pronounced weden).

SP5GTTa.jpg

A rare one for sure with the original handle.;)

y8Gnql4.jpg

Often copied, but never duplicated. This axe is highly prized by the bush whacking community. With this axe and a Swiss Army knife a person can survive indefinitely in the bush. It has the unique ability to take assorted fasteners into the bush for making all sorts of neat stuff. It's almost like having a hardware store 24/7 in the middle of nowhere.:cool::thumbsup:

g9gy8ca.jpg

Well. . . :rolleyes:

I have been looking for a 0,5-0,6 Kg head for a carving axe. I have a 0,6 Kg (1 1/4 lb.) Hults Bruk hatchet that I like very much, but was thinking a shorter fatter handle on it would be a lot more comfortable for me to carve with. Since I recently rehung it replacing the goop (epoxy) and wedging it I don't want to rehang it again. As an aside, am I making a good enough case to justify an axe head purchase? Anyway, all that I wanted was a small untouched axe head.

vYA9uj9.jpg

Before I literally disassembled the WEDEN I did run a file across the blade. To be honest this was a roll the dice purchase, but the steel is hard. Will see when the green flag drops.

So, that's my WEDEN carving axe head ready for a handle.

This person uses a pretty unique style that would be fun to try:

3pf1mpw.jpg

Bob

I wish Stanley was still making the mini wonder bar 2 here in the US.
The imported ones aren't even chromed , that's fine if they wanted to keep cost down on an American made tool but if they're outsourcing them to Asia they can probably afford to still have them chromed.

I thought I'd just mention this... I'm on the lookout for an acorn stamp. Maybe 1"tall x 1/2"(or 5/8")wide.
I designed my own stamp and got a quote for over 400 bucks for 2 steel stamps. I could make do with an acorn stamp that is big enough for me to stamp or burn my initials inside it. I just thought I'd throw that out because you seem to find quite a few stamps! Maybe you've got one?? Thanks!

I thought I'd just mention this... I'm on the lookout for an acorn stamp. Maybe 1"tall x 1/2"(or 5/8")wide.
I designed my own stamp and got a quote for over 400 bucks for 2 steel stamps. I could make do with an acorn stamp that is big enough for me to stamp or burn my initials inside it. I just thought I'd throw that out because you seem to find quite a few stamps! Maybe you've got one?? Thanks!
I have many more than shown, I'll look. They are all different. They are impression dies, also known as jewelry hubs or hobs. All hardened, I could always send you a couple and they could them be machined flat and then etched any way you want.

Back