It followed me home (Part 2)

I've had good luck with evaporust. I don't get much mileage out of it however which makes it pretty expensive. A couple times and it's toast. Do you find the same to be true?
It's more expensive than vinegar, but I still find that it's reusable enough. Anything with heavy rust I knock off the excess with a wire wheel first to help save the solution. I only use it for items with surfaces that a wire wheel can't touch on every surface, like adjustable wrenches, pocket knives, machinist calipers etc. I like it because it's skin safe and doesn't pit the good metal. I probably go through 3 gallons a year, or $60.

I scored this 5lb Forest King Rafting pattern in pretty damn minty condition!
SdPbS3Y.jpg

It's more expensive than vinegar, but I still find that it's reusable enough. Anything with heavy rust I knock off the excess with a wire wheel first to help save the solution. I only use it for items with surfaces that a wire wheel can't touch on every surface, like adjustable wrenches, pocket knives, machinist calipers etc. I like it because it's skin safe and doesn't pit the good metal. I probably go through 3 gallons a year, or $60.

I like evaporust quite a bit and use it pretty regularly. anything small that can't be wire wheeled or that has moving parts, etc. I'm always surprised with how long it lasts actually. I'd personally never use vinegar because I hate the smell of it.

I like evaporust quite a bit and use it pretty regularly. anything small that can't be wire wheeled or that has moving parts, etc. I'm always surprised with how long it lasts actually. I'd personally never use vinegar because I hate the smell of it.

Guaranteed one whiff of the stuff and I will vomit.
I've never used evaporust but I hear great things, if I ever need to result to soaking I may try it.

I've never tried it, but after the endorsements here I'm going to. It sounds like it's best to immerse objects in it. I'm wondering if I soak some paper towels in it and lay them on a crosscut saw and then cover that with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation, if that could make for a chelation-friendly environment. Sure would save a lot of elbow grease.

Back