1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Love it!!!!

2. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The 10" 4-in-hand will be most useful. It's surprising how much difference 2" makes in speed and comfort of the work.

4. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Looking forward to trying it out, I've only used 8" ones. First into the Evaporust.

5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I've had good luck with evaporust. I don't get much mileage out of it however which makes it pretty expensive. A couple times and it's toast. Do you find the same to be true?

A17, Fmont and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  6. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Those little “Eagle Claw” Pliers are pretty cool! Very useful for pulling out metal wedges too!

7. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    It's more expensive than vinegar, but I still find that it's reusable enough. Anything with heavy rust I knock off the excess with a wire wheel first to help save the solution. I only use it for items with surfaces that a wire wheel can't touch on every surface, like adjustable wrenches, pocket knives, machinist calipers etc. I like it because it's skin safe and doesn't pit the good metal. I probably go through 3 gallons a year, or $60.

8. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I scored this 5lb Forest King Rafting pattern in pretty damn minty condition![​IMG]

9. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Well done man that is NICE! Did you find it in the wild or from a dealer?

ithinkverydeeply, Fmont and A17 like this.
  10. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Online auction, there is another (slightly smaller) up now, without much label, that will go for way less no doubt.
    [​IMG]

11. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I’d keep that one as is and pick up a user now.

12. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    I'd use it like a rented mule

13. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    stopped at 1 garage sale this morning on my way to buck knives factory in Idaho and got these goodies...
    DSC07532.JPG DSC07533.JPG

jblyttle, garry3, Fmont and 8 others like this.
  14. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Little National pattern is neat. Any marking on your froe?

A17 likes this.
  15. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    yes the froe is a diamond edge

16. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I like evaporust quite a bit and use it pretty regularly. anything small that can't be wire wheeled or that has moving parts, etc. I'm always surprised with how long it lasts actually. I'd personally never use vinegar because I hate the smell of it.

Fmont and Square_peg like this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Guaranteed one whiff of the stuff and I will vomit.
    I've never used evaporust but I hear great things, if I ever need to result to soaking I may try it.

18. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I've never tried it, but after the endorsements here I'm going to. It sounds like it's best to immerse objects in it. I'm wondering if I soak some paper towels in it and lay them on a crosscut saw and then cover that with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation, if that could make for a chelation-friendly environment. Sure would save a lot of elbow grease.

A17, FLINT77, jblyttle and 3 others like this.
  19. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    A 6' x 8"x 2" (filled 2") trough quickly tacked together and lined with plastic would only need 5 gallons. This is an intriguing concept to me.

FLINT77 and Yankee Josh like this.
  20. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Good scores there and all from one yard sale.:thumbsup: At one time I used a flax water bag quite a bit, they work well.

DOGPOUND77 and Agent_H like this.