It followed me home (Part 2)

A 6' x 8"x 2" (filled 2") trough quickly tacked together and lined with plastic would only need 5 gallons. This is an intriguing concept to me.

A plastic lining would be subject to damage by saw points. Some sort of liquid applied coating would be better. DIY spray-on bedliner might be a good choice if it resists evaporust.

I've never tried it, but after the endorsements here I'm going to. It sounds like it's best to immerse objects in it. I'm wondering if I soak some paper towels in it and lay them on a crosscut saw and then cover that with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation, if that could make for a chelation-friendly environment. Sure would save a lot of elbow grease.
A good investment if you can get many things cleaned with it over time. If you use a trough, you will want a fairly tight cover to protect it over a long period of time. 5 gallons is big money if only used a few times, cheap if you get long use out of it. I buy 1 gallon at a time. I pour mine into various sizes sealed Tupperware type containers and drop my items in. I just leave them sealed until next use. If it were me, I would try your first idea then move on if it wasn't satisfactory. Maybe experiment on a hand saw. When done I run the items with fine steel wool under running water, dry, then spray with wd40 and wipe down. I usually use a cup brush on saws but I may try one this way. After removing the handle...

BTW, one of the selling points is it being skin safe. I tend to get dermatitis outbreaks on my hands with chemical contact so I use rubber gloves anyway. Itchy blistered hands are no fun. Your milage may vary.

A good investment if you can get many things cleaned with it over time. If you use a trough, you will want a fairly tight cover to protect it over a long period of time. 5 gallons is big money if only used a few times, cheap if you get long use out of it. I buy 1 gallon at a time. I pour mine into various sizes sealed Tupperware type containers and drop my items in. I just leave them sealed until next use. If it were me, I would try your first idea then move on if it wasn't satisfactory. Maybe experiment on a hand saw. When done I run the items with fine steel wool under running water, dry, then spray with wd40 and wipe down. I usually use a cup brush on saws but I may try one this way. After removing the handle...

BTW, one of the selling points is it being skin safe. I tend to get dermatitis outbreaks on my hands with chemical contact so I use rubber gloves anyway. Itchy blistered hands are no fun. Your milage may vary.

I don't know how much it costs, but they do sell that big bucket of it that has a basket.
Any YouTubers who use the stuff say they're getting lots of use out of it, but maybe the bucket with the lid and everything as they supply it has something to do with that.

I've never tried it, but after the endorsements here I'm going to. It sounds like it's best to immerse objects in it. I'm wondering if I soak some paper towels in it and lay them on a crosscut saw and then cover that with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation, if that could make for a chelation-friendly environment. Sure would save a lot of elbow grease.

This is exactly what the evaporust website suggests for items that can't be submerged:

Soak a thick paper towel with Evapo-Rust® and then place it over the rusted area. Make sure the soaked paper towel conforms to the shape of the object bein de-rusted. For heavier rust, cover the soaked towel with the plastic wrap and tape the wrap down to prevent moisture from escaping. After an appropriate period of time, remove the soaked towel and rinse the area with water. The paper towel must remain soaked with Evapo-Rust® for this method to work effectively.

For heavy rust I've found that it can take a couple days soaking - and I'll periodically go and flip the item over and give it a quick scrub with a toothbrush. Light rust I've seen cleared off in just a few hours. most stuff I just let soak overnight and its all set.

Well how do you like that! The downside would be that there's probably no recovering that evapo-rust. But I'd sure like to try it out. I'll run by tractor supply tomorrow, says they keep it in stock.

I used the paper towel method but it left polka dots all over my drawknife. I'd try the blue non-patterned shop paper towels if I had to do it over. I suspended the drawknife over a plastic tub full of evaporust and tools, wrapped it in paper towels, and draped the towel tips into the evaporust to draw liquid up and to try to prevent it from drying out too fast. It worked, but I had to "sprinkle" the towel throughout the day to keep it from drying out.

That solid metal knife looking thing is interesting.
It's a crab knife.

Well how do you like that! The downside would be that there's probably no recovering that evapo-rust. But I'd sure like to try it out. I'll run by tractor supply tomorrow, says they keep it in stock.
It's definitely reusable, but it can only convert a finite amount of rust before it's used up. You will know when it stops working effectively. I would always recommend knocking off as much heavy rust as possible mechanically first. It helps the Evaporust work more quickly, and helps it last longer.

Last edited:
This looks like a Kelly Perfect to me. It’s big, 4lbs 13 oz.
No markings at all, no eye ridges. Any thoughts on the maker??

find a td bank location
Somethings off with the bevels, they're the right shape and radii, but the... Sprout I guess it is is a touch too think I think, and the cheeks of the bevels seem too short but I haven't really looked at a kp in months so it could just be weird but what it seems like to me is a very convincing and nicely made fake.

I personally think that a fake is more interesting than a real one, so long as you know it's fake but in this case, both would be equally cool cause you just don't see 5 pound KPs that often

This looks like a Kelly Perfect to me. It’s big, 4lbs 13 oz.
No markings at all, no eye ridges. Any thoughts on the maker??

find a td bank location

could be a plumb jet wing.

or.....

could be a Barco Kelly Perfect.

I had this axe which looks very similar to yours - and with no discernible markings anywhere at all on it.

then I soaked it in evaporust and found this

If I had wire wheeled it those markings would have been quickly removed and I would have never known what it was. As it is now, after some additional cleaning and I don't remember what all else I did to it the markings are almost gone.

or.....

I had this axe which looks very similar to yours - and with no discernible markings anywhere at all on it.

If I had wire wheeled it those markings would have been quickly removed and I would have never known what it was. As it is now, after some additional cleaning and I don't remember what all else I did to it the markings are almost gone.
Interesting! Do you remember the weight of your head?

or.....

I know your axe is definitely a Barco KP, but not one of the extra sloppy examples they're putting out today.
Probably 10 years old or more, but honestly I don't know how long they've been as bad as they currently are.

Twenty dollar axe heads were recently mentioned in another thread. I'm pleased to report I found another! Really it's $22 after you deduct shipping costs. Screenshot_20190722-190050_Chrome.jpg
Overlaid bit too! Screenshot_20190722-190112_Chrome.jpg
It's far from perfect(no pun intended) but It'll clean up nice for sure. Screenshot_20190722-190526_Chrome.jpg
I can't see from the photos if it has TT on the other side. I'll just have to wait till it gets here. Money well spent in my book!

Back