1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    doesn't look too worn out.
    I would not have bought it personally because it's seen a vinegar soak but it's just a matter of preference.

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah it's not worn much at all. Measures 6-7/8" x 5-1/8" according to the seller. I can easily remedy its present appearance. Why, may I ask, would you avoid a good deal due to a vinegar soak?

Fmont, Square_peg and A17 like this.
  3. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes, I think my Barco Kelly perfect is at least 20 years old maybe? I got it maybe 10 years ago or so and it was not new then, so just a guess. It seems like a perfectly good axe, I've used it a bunch. It was my only full sized axe before I got "into axes" a couple years ago. Actually, cleaning up that axe is what got me interested in axes. I was looking at it one day and thought, what an unusual, cool looking axe. The beveled cheeks and jersey lugs made it look different than a 'regular' axe. So I thought, I wonder if I can figure out what kind of axe this is. The resulting internet search is what opened my eyes to the world of awesome vintage axes. :)

4. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019

Because maybe he's like me and thinks vinegar soaked axes aren't good deals. Akin to cleaned coins. I'd likely not vinegar soak a gun either. But as mentioned, it's personal preference.

You only have to make yourself happy.

5. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I just like to leave the patina on a tool and they look like crap after a vinegar soak.

If there was something I really really wanted like a vintage Collins or plumb saddle cruiser maybe I'd go for it and end up bluing the head or something just so it looks at least a little better, but it would have to be something special at an incredible deal.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Miller '72, Yankee Josh and ScottB65 like this.
  6. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I agree with you 99% of the time and I too much prefer original patina. But a good axe is a good axe and once I'm done with it it'll look like a million bucks. I don't see that many KP with overlaid bits so I couldn't pass it up for twenty bucks!

7. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Being you are new here you may want to pay careful attention to the above exchange. It's respectful and an exchange of ideas. Free of derogatory and belittling remarks. I've noticed a few of your posts are poorly worded and frankly disrespectful. We all try hard to keep this a fun place to be and I, for one, would appreciate it if you did as well.

Fmont and crbnSteeladdict like this.
  8. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    If anyone doesn't like the look of a chemically de-rusted piece, you could always leave it out in the rain, let it get all rusty again, and then wire wheel it to your liking. :)

Fmont, Peck Price and Yankee Josh like this.
  9. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    As long as the vinegar soaked head isn't a two piece with a real soft body you can just hit it with the cup brush on an angle grinder and it turns it dark again. Pretty much the same as if it had never been vinegar soaked. I do it rather routinely on real rusted heads rather than kick up all that dust.

Fmont, Square_peg, Nbrackett and 2 others like this.
  10. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Another option is to "paint" the axe with muriatic acid, rinse off the acid after 5 minutes maximum, leave it outside for a day or two and viola! It is now covered with easy to remove surface rust and patina!

11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    There's a few different ways to fix em. I haven't tried A17's suggestion but I have used the two other methods. Thats why I was surprised to know some avoid them just for that reason. It's more work and so I usually avoid it but if there's a good axe under there it's totally worth it. I can't make it look like this one without losing all the markings; 15639061441665595000488514383550.jpg
    But the measurements are identical. 7"x5". That's really what made my mind up about it. It was neglected but not abused. Or at least very little. Anyhow I'm looking forward to getting it and sharing it with you all!

12. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I haven't tried my method on an axe either. But, I (inadvertently) tried it on a vise of mine while cleaning some transfer out of a saw cylinder so I do know that it works.

13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I was actually going to say this.
    Yes I was criticized for it, but I took a harbor freight hatchet that I had laying around for years ( I did not run out and buy it like an idiot claimed out of context when bashing me in a thread they created to crap on me ) and let it rust to develop a patina after I had modified it because I wanted it to look a little better and to test such a process and how long it might take.
    It worked but the hatchet was what it was and I'm not even sure where it is anymore.

So yeah it'll definitely work, and I would actually do it to fix what I consider someone else's mistake because the look of a vinegar soak is that bad to me.
    If I had serious use for axes as a daily tool I might just put it to use right away though.

A17, Miller '72, Fmont and 2 others like this.
  14. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'd have bought it.

15. Fmont

Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I've got to upload some before and after pics of what using a medium then fine niolox wheel will do. They'll also knock the dull grey off vinegar soaked heads, leaving the dark oxides in the pits. Not a bad look at all.

I've never thought of a vinegar soak as a finishing step. The two tone battleship look is better than heavy red oxide, but usually more like a blank canvas. You can build a patina or polish, just preference. I certainly have no problems buying them. It's not like they're stuck that way.

Square_peg, A17, Trailsawyer and 2 others like this.
  16. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    Man, if that gets you bent out of shape, you must have a special kind of life. I can't believe a man finds offense in 'You only have to make yourself happy'.

Sorry my thoughts don't agree with yours, but I guess getting bent about it is what our society has become.

17. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    Affirmation from several members that vinegar good. Thanks everyone, I'll sleep better and not pass them up. I know Yankee Josh has got to feel better.

Blessed day.

18. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    It's a "think before you post" kind of thing. Try again. It's all good man.

19. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I couldn't have put it better myself. The moment I asked the first question on this forum I was amazed with knowledge and willingness of this community to help each other. I believe one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum is lack of trolling and civility of its participants. We do not hide our beliefs (I am guilty of few Millennial or plunger jokes here and there), but personal attacks on fellow members will land offender on my ignore list.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  20. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014