It followed me home (Part 2)

How about that little flooring hatchet maybe? With the lugs, any marks? I would be very interested in that if it’s for sale.

I need to clean it for an ID, but it is certainly a Maine head. Good eye.
Really a Maine head? Which maker would have made that pattern? I wasn't aware of any of them making that particular pattern. But I've still a lot to learn! Do you think you'll part with it jb? I'm definitely interested Maine or otherwise!

Really a Maine head? Which maker would have made that pattern? I wasn't aware of any of them making that particular pattern. But I've still a lot to learn! Do you think you'll part with it jb? I'm definitely interested Maine or otherwise!
Yes, I think that it is an E&S based on the weight stamp. I'll clean it and show it again. You have first dibs if we reach an agreement.

Are YJ and I taking about the same one? If so, naturally I defer. I had thought he was talking about the one below.

Are YJ and I taking about the same one? If so, naturally I defer. I had thought he was talking about the one below.
We're good! I thought that at first too but you included "taped haft" in your description so I knew you were interested in a different one.
Yes, I think that it is an E&S based on the weight stamp. I'll clean it and show it again. You have first dibs if we reach an agreement.
That's great news! I'm pleased and surprised if that turns out to be the case! Whatever you do don't soak it in vinegar!!!! ;)

How about that little flooring hatchet maybe? With the lugs, any marks? I would be very interested in that if it’s for sale.
Could you clarify which one you were asking about? The middle small head is a Collins, the large hatchet off to the right is a Craftsman.

Could you clarify which one you were asking about? The middle small head is a Collins, the large hatchet off to the right is a Craftsman.
I think he means the little one, as it is the only little hatchet with lugs.

Last edited:
I stopped by our local Habitat for Humanity Re-store and, although there were no axes, still got a pretty good haul. I picked up a nice mitre box with a matching Disston no. 4 backsaw, a no-name hand forged chisel, a Worth drawknife that reminds me of a Greenlee I've seen, a screwdriver bit for a brace drill, and a 3lb Stanley ripping claw hammer. As I brought all my spoils to the counter, I asked the guy about the Bailey No.8 in the cabinet with the extra blades on it, but as he was pulling it out I noticed some tape on it said "Not for sale". He saw it too and told me, "My boss will be pretty mad, but I'll sell this to you for $50 because it's been here forever." I think it has been there for at least 5 years or so from what I recall. Anyways, it was $64 and change for everything, which for the No. 8 and the mitre box alone is a pretty good price to me.
DSC-0221.jpg

DSC-0223.jpg

DSC-0224.jpg

DSC-0226.jpg

DSC-0227.jpg

DSC-0228.jpg

DSC-0229.jpg

DSC-0230.jpg

DSC-0231.jpg

DSC-0235.jpg

DSC-0237.jpg

DSC-0238.jpg

DSC-0239.jpg

DSC-0240.jpg

I stopped by our local Habitat for Humanity Re-store and, although there were no axes, still got a pretty good haul. I picked up a nice mitre box with a matching Disston no. 4 backsaw, a no-name hand forged chisel, a Worth drawknife that reminds me of a Greenlee I've seen, a screwdriver bit for a brace drill, and a 3lb Stanley ripping claw hammer. As I brought all my spoils to the counter, I asked the guy about the Bailey No.8 in the cabinet with the extra blades on it, but as he was pulling it out I noticed some tape on it said "Not for sale". He saw it too and told me, "My boss will be pretty mad, but I'll sell this to you for $50 because it's been here forever." I think it has been there for at least 5 years or so from what I recall. Anyways, it was $64 and change for everything, which for the No. 8 and the mitre box alone is a pretty good price to me.
DSC-0221.jpg

DSC-0223.jpg

DSC-0224.jpg

DSC-0226.jpg

DSC-0227.jpg

DSC-0228.jpg

DSC-0229.jpg

DSC-0230.jpg

DSC-0231.jpg

DSC-0235.jpg

DSC-0237.jpg

DSC-0238.jpg

DSC-0239.jpg

DSC-0240.jpg
Those linesman's hammers are sweet, I've no need for a 3 lb'er but I definitely wouldn't mind having a smaller one.

And that miter is sweet, I'd like to put one to use but while i don't know what they go for I suspect I'd never find one at thrift store pricing.

There were 3 more similar boxes and a saw or two to go with them yesterday, so if you or anyone else is interested in one or all of them, I'll get pics and send the boxes (+ a saw, if you want one) off for the purchase price + shipping to you. I don't think it would be more than $15-20 per box and $10-15 per saw, highballing it. I paid under $14 for my box and saw, but I can't guarantee the others will cost the same. I think there was a Stanley 51? and a Millers Falls along with a possible no-name. Both the Stanley and the MF were pretty fresh looking, so I don't know why I didn't get one of them instead of the one I did. The MF looks like the one pictured below. Sadly, I can't find a match to my vague recollection of the Stanley or the no name but, as I recall, the no-name looked like my box. Mods, I'm not trying to start a business, I'm just offering to share my fortune to other members. If I need to upgrade my membership to do this, please tell me but don't erase this post.
download.jpg

DSC-0221.jpg

DSC-0223.jpg

DSC-0224.jpg

DSC-0226.jpg

DSC-0227.jpg

DSC-0228.jpg

DSC-0229.jpg

DSC-0230.jpg

DSC-0231.jpg

DSC-0235.jpg

DSC-0237.jpg

DSC-0238.jpg

DSC-0239.jpg

DSC-0240.jpg

Fantastic haul man!! If you ever thing of getting rid of your #8 let me know! Looks like a good one! I have gotten lucky at the restored myself a time or two!

Back