It followed me home (Part 2)

Got this little beauty on eBay a few days ago. Fifteen bucks, nobody else bid on it. Very little use. Pulled it off the haft and brushed off the rust with a med niolox wheel. I wanted to use a fine but i couldn't find it. I don't know how something like that goes missing lol. I was light around the etch, tried to get the top but not the background to make it pop. 1.25lbs. Will hang it soon with an awesome piece of oak from an old haft.

20190807_062503-2162x1455.jpg

Got this little beauty on eBay a few days ago. Fifteen bucks, nobody else bid on it. Very little use. Pulled it off the haft and brushed off the rust with a med niolox wheel. I wanted to use a fine but i couldn't find it. I don't know how something like that goes missing lol. I was light around the etch, tried to get the top but not the background to make it pop. 1.25lbs. Will hang it soon with an awesome piece of oak from an old haft.

View attachment 1174871
Man lucky you! I search that site often and missed that completely. Nice score!
It worked out for the best anyhow. The chances are good that some of us have been in bidding wars with each other before and unknowingly have been cursing each other out. Hahaha.

I'm going to put a convex on it and use it, that's a pretty cool ax for around camp. Not the best splitter, but as a smaller kephart type implement very very handy.

ETA: And I agree! I'm sure some of us have cost one another money lol. But it seems like the local deals make up for it in the end.

Last edited:
Man lucky you! I search that site often and missed that completely. Nice score!
It worked out for the best anyhow. The chances are good that some of us have been in bidding wars with each other before and unknowingly have been cursing each other out. Hahaha.

No doubt lol!
I like to think when I miss out...the next one and cheaper lol!

Of course we all have one or several of our own (Brecks Victor Connies :D:eek::(:D)that slipped thru our bidding grasp due to our own sloppy bidding lol!

I'm going to put a convex on it and use it, that's a pretty cool ax for around camp. Not the best splitter, but as a smaller kephart type implement very very handy.

ETA: And I agree! I'm sure some of us have cost one another money lol. But it seems like the local deals make up for it in the end.

That's the perfect purpose, all around camp and quick grab yard duty.
I have a few, the usual names, but none stamped so prominently nor Keen Kutter.
Great score in all respects!!

:thumbsup:

I agree, I've got four or five of them in different sizes. That kind of light woodworking style works with outdoor tasks pretty good, from tinder on up. As we all know, and regardless of what we use. Not great splitters but they make up for it in other ways.

One thing about the Keen Kutter brand is that, around here (SE KY), no matter how uninformed the local sellers are, they all recognize and way over price the Keen Kutters. I have lucked into some very decent deals but don’t own a Keen Kutter. Thanks for posting. Really enjoy seeing the rusty gold you all find. I am about a year out from retirement and I plan on relearning how to post pics and share some of my modest collection.

One thing about the Keen Kutter brand is that, around here (SE KY), no matter how uninformed the local sellers are, they all recognize and way over price the Keen Kutters. I have lucked into some very decent deals but don’t own a Keen Kutter. Thanks for posting. Really enjoy seeing the rusty gold you all find. I am about a year out from retirement and I plan on relearning how to post pics and share some of my modest collection.

Surely I speak for many here, and I for one have come across some of your posts while researching and learning...congrats on the near retirement!
And we all will enjoy viewing your collection...from it be 1 piece or 1000...:D:thumbsup:

These followed me home over the weekend. All of the Collins have original handles in perfect condition, the Legitimus, and Commander are weight stamped on the poll. The double bit swamper is simply stamped Collins. The Legitimus, supposedly the best axe Collins made has horrible, perfectly horizontal grain.:D

Both of the Plumbs have cracked handles. The boys axe handle can be saved, but the 4 pounders can not.

Todays axe came to me quite the same way Fmont Fmont obtained his Keen Kutter. I saw it and was the only interested party.
I had not seen a commander stamped, just paper labels and never a Legitimus. That is until now, and I looked back finding a super example of a Commander Michigan that @quinton found a few years back.
Here is my Commander Legitimus Jersey...9.⁹⁹ plus shipping, less than 20 :thumbsup:

20190807-140536.jpg

20190807-140707.jpg

20190807-140723.jpg

Pole stamped weight...4
It's at 3 1/2lbs now

20190807-192525.jpg

20190807-140715.jpg

Collins part 2, yesteryearstools

Smart-Select-20190807-191914-Chrome.jpg

My other boys with ears...all need to dressed and hung.;)

20190807-140808.jpg

Back