It followed me home (Part 2)

Has anyone ever seen this handle style on a hatchet? I picked it up just because it was unique. I can't make out any markings, there is something that may have been a makers mark at one point. But I just can't see it. Maybe someone more familiar with this style would have a suggestion?

Pictures can be deceiving. But to me it looks like 2 1/4 axe head mounted on chopped off full size handle. Basically, you got yourself house axe with straight handle
BookReaderImages.php

Pictures can be deceiving. But to me it looks like 2 1/4 axe head mounted on chopped off full size handle. Basically, you got yourself house axe with straight handle
BookReaderImages.php
Oh wow, I didn't even think about that. Funny how a little perspective can change things. Now I don't see anything but a full size handle. I'll have to hold it up and compare when I get back. Thanks for the feedback!

From the sportsman’s guide 23 bucks Belgian fire axe,slightly convex cheeks and epoxy in the eye.Head is sharp and loose on a 32 inch handle.

While I find European and most other foreign axes ugly I can't deny that this one seems like a good tool despite it's looks.
One thing I find very interesting is just how much neck they often have, it just seems weird.

From the sportsman’s guide 23 bucks Belgian fire axe,slightly convex cheeks and epoxy in the eye.Head is sharp and loose on a 32 inch handle.

D-shaped eyes of a large size to accomodate ash handles. When you don't have hickory you have to make such choices.

Agreed on why the eye is so large but why the shoulder so far down the axe? Fear of it snapping off due to stresses on the wood, in anticipation of having to lower it (maybe repeatedly?), ease of production, custom, or all of the above?
I'm just curious as I don't mind that style of eye but they can be cumbersome with the the block of wood under the head until the taper into the shoulder.

Agreed on why the eye is so large but why the shoulder so far down the axe? Fear of it snapping off due to stresses on the wood, in anticipation of having to lower it (maybe repeatedly?), ease of production, custom, or all of the above?
I'm just curious as I don't mind that style of eye but they can be cumbersome with the the block of wood under the head until the taper into the shoulder.

That's what I meant, a large eye is one thing but I don't get why the shoulder is so far down.
It just reminds me of an old axe you find where someone just pounded the head as far down on the new handle as they could and jammed a bunch of nails and stuff in it.

This package just arrived from Agent_H.

I knew about the lightly used Slasher hatchet to go with my new boys axe and the perfect style screwdriver project, but the little 1lb hatchet head he surprised me with is just as cool.
I'm not sure just yet what I'll do, but the 1lb hatchet head could be a great gift for my cousin.

The hatchet definitely pairs well with my boys axe.

Hopefully once I straighten it , replace the wood, and address the tip that perfect style driver will be perfect for the stock screws on my vintage American air rifles.
The Crosmans tend to use a nut, but my Sheridan and the Benjamin's use a large standard screw that this just might fit pretty well.

A big thanks to Agent_H, he's certainly a great guy :thumbsup:

This package just arrived from Agent_H.

I knew about the lightly used Slasher hatchet to go with my new boys axe and the perfect style screwdriver project, but the little 1lb hatchet head he surprised me with is just as cool.
I'm not sure just yet what I'll do, but the 1lb hatchet head could be a great gift for my cousin.

The hatchet definitely pairs well with my boys axe.

Hopefully once I straighten it , replace the wood, and address the tip that perfect style driver will be perfect for the stock screws on my vintage American air rifles.
The Crosmans tend to use a nut, but my Sheridan and the Benjamin's use a large standard screw that this just might fit pretty well.

A big thanks to Agent_H, he's certainly a great guy :thumbsup:
That's pretty cool guys! Glad to see stuff like this nowadays.

Back