1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Pictures can be deceiving. But to me it looks like 2 1/4 axe head mounted on chopped off full size handle. Basically, you got yourself house axe with straight handle[​IMG]

2. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Oh wow, I didn't even think about that. Funny how a little perspective can change things. Now I don't see anything but a full size handle. I'll have to hold it up and compare when I get back. Thanks for the feedback!

garry3, Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  3. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    From the sportsman’s guide 23 bucks Belgian fire axe,slightly convex cheeks and epoxy in the eye.Head is sharp and loose on a 32 inch handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

garry3, Agent_H, Square_peg and 5 others like this.
  4. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    19 dollars, one of the best stops i'v made in about a year, got two bits for my breast drill, a simmonds crosscut for 10 bucks, some pretty nice shears for 4 and that mine cart rail spike for 3

garry3, Square_peg, A17 and 4 others like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This shears certainly look very nice.

garry3, Fmont and phantomknives like this.
  6. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Surely you are right.

A17, Meek1 and Fmont like this.
  7. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I like vintage shears. Clean them up, sharpen them and adjust them and they cut better than new shears. And they will last several lifetimes.

A17, Miller '72 and Fmont like this.
  8. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd say exactly right. Thanks again crbnsteel for the perspective!

9. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    While I find European and most other foreign axes ugly I can't deny that this one seems like a good tool despite it's looks.
    One thing I find very interesting is just how much neck they often have, it just seems weird.

junkenstien, Fmont, Agent_H and 3 others like this.
  10. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    D-shaped eyes of a large size to accomodate ash handles. When you don't have hickory you have to make such choices.

11. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Agreed on why the eye is so large but why the shoulder so far down the axe? Fear of it snapping off due to stresses on the wood, in anticipation of having to lower it (maybe repeatedly?), ease of production, custom, or all of the above?
    I'm just curious as I don't mind that style of eye but they can be cumbersome with the the block of wood under the head until the taper into the shoulder.

Square_peg, Old Axeman, A17 and 4 others like this.
  12. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I think SP nailed it.

Yankee Josh, junkenstien and Agent_H like this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That's what I meant, a large eye is one thing but I don't get why the shoulder is so far down.
    It just reminds me of an old axe you find where someone just pounded the head as far down on the new handle as they could and jammed a bunch of nails and stuff in it.

Square_peg, Old Axeman, A17 and 5 others like this.
  14. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I think that's just the locus of a lot of forces. Beefed up for same reason as eye. That'd be my guess.

Square_peg, A17 and Agent_H like this.
  15. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    @junkenstien's is 1250grams (2.75lbs), I bet he could still get away with taking that shoulder up some.
    So in premise, if you used hickory could you bring the shoulder closer to the head?

This is Ash too, just for the shoulder reference.
    [​IMG]

ithinkverydeeply, Meek1, A17 and 2 others like this.
  16. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    This package just arrived from Agent_H.
    [​IMG]
    I knew about the lightly used Slasher hatchet to go with my new boys axe and the perfect style screwdriver project, but the little 1lb hatchet head he surprised me with is just as cool.
    I'm not sure just yet what I'll do, but the 1lb hatchet head could be a great gift for my cousin.
    [​IMG]
    The hatchet definitely pairs well with my boys axe.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully once I straighten it , replace the wood, and address the tip that perfect style driver will be perfect for the stock screws on my vintage American air rifles.
    The Crosmans tend to use a nut, but my Sheridan and the Benjamin's use a large standard screw that this just might fit pretty well.

A big thanks to Agent_H, he's certainly a great guy :thumbsup:

17. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    That saw is beautiful! Is the handle complete? No chips? Very nice haul man!! Is that a Disston saw vise?

18. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

Anybody mind if I do a this might follow me home tomorrow? Can anyone ID these and let me know if I need to rearrange my schedule tomorrow morning?

Fmont and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  19. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    That's pretty cool guys! Glad to see stuff like this nowadays.

20. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Back two are either Gransfors Bruks or Hults Bruks mauls and the front I have no clue. If they are reasonably priced/free I'd jump on them ASAP.