It followed me home (Part 2)

I've been eyeballing this W.M Beatty & sons cleaver all summer. Since it hasn't sold I made an offer and it was accepted. Note instead of saying Chester PHILA, or PA it instead reads PENNA. I've never seen that abbreviation before. It's not on YY's website either. The seller claimed it was from 1910. A few other items also;
Ue1QXXz.jpg
LONyAH7.jpg
zfQaofT.jpg
3GVm2Ex.jpg

I like how it gets thicker where the tang starts.
ACn3t9G.jpg

A Lakeside db made by Kelly I think? It's nothing special but is on a good haft and I didn't yet have that stamp.
kQhChYZ.jpg

A small brass cannon. 2$ I couldn't leave it. Lol.
oM0ciTE.jpg

And then $1 for this rusty ol db. Who knows what I'll find under the rust?? Have a great afternoon!
RsCde8N.jpg

That's great. I thought for a second that it was the cleaver I've been eyeing until it recently disappeared, but its a different one. My wife's maiden name is Beatty and is likely related to old WM. I have a nice collection of Flint Edge axes, but thought it would be nice to have an edged tool with her name as well. I'd love to get a Beatty fire axe. I've seen a couple, but they are pretty few and far between.

That's great. I thought for a second that it was the cleaver I've been eyeing until it recently disappeared, but its a different one. My wife's maiden name is Beatty and is likely related to old WM. I have a nice collection of Flint Edge axes, but thought it would be nice to have an edged tool with her name as well. I'd love to get a Beatty fire axe. I've seen a couple, but they are pretty few and far between.
I got this one a couple years ago. From a local antique store.
20191007_181227.jpg
The stamp is faint but with some TLC it could be brought out more.
20191007_181303.jpg
It's got an inlaid bit as well.
I don't know if you even like it but perhaps we could trade if you've got something I'm interested in?
I wanted to add that it's more legible in person. Very hard to capture in a photo but you can easily see Beatty & o
The S and O in son(s) isn't easy to see but it's obvious what it is. With some 600 grit and a flat sanding block I bet one could bring more out.

Oox2z52.jpg

The top line looks like it could include
____T & CO AXE MFD BY

...and at the end of the line below that, by the 10 in a circle, it looks like it says
PA
(for Pennsylvania)

... and all this, including the circle at the end, is consistent with the following example that's also stamped AmericanAx:

vintage-american-ax-lippington-co-axe_1_307546b94ce05b330d2cb44a4b7e500c.jpg

from https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-american-ax-lippington-co-axe-458125544

I think it's likely that the stamp is:
LIPPINCOTT & CO AXE MFD BY
HUBBARD & CO PITTSBURG, PA

and an axe with a similar stamp was discussed in this earlier thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/who-can-id-this-axe.1390349/

An article from 1898 says that John Lippincott tried to stop Hubbard & Co. from using the brand "Lippincott and Co." on Hubbard's axes, etc., but the court ruled against him. Hubbard was part of A.A.&T. at this time, according to YesteryearsTools.
I looked at this axes twin sister today but wasn't sure about it. Somebody help me. Do I need it?

I've been eyeballing this W.M Beatty & sons cleaver all summer. Since it hasn't sold I made an offer and it was accepted. Note instead of saying Chester PHILA, or PA it instead reads PENNA. I've never seen that abbreviation before. It's not on YY's website either. The seller claimed it was from 1910. A few other items also;
Ue1QXXz.jpg
LONyAH7.jpg
zfQaofT.jpg
3GVm2Ex.jpg

I like how it gets thicker where the tang starts.
ACn3t9G.jpg

A Lakeside db made by Kelly I think? It's nothing special but is on a good haft and I didn't yet have that stamp.
kQhChYZ.jpg

A small brass cannon. 2$ I couldn't leave it. Lol.
oM0ciTE.jpg

And then $1 for this rusty ol db. Who knows what I'll find under the rust?? Have a great afternoon!
RsCde8N.jpg
Nice haul! I am like a kid at Christmas when I find a stamp under rust. That little cannon made to fire?

Nice haul! I am like a kid at Christmas when I find a stamp under rust. That little cannon made to fire?
Yeah I'm the same way. It's pretty damn exciting to find a stamp. It still surprises me sometimes what will show up. You'd swear that nothing would be left but lo and behold!
I was told the cannon could be fired. However the screws the hold it on to the truck protrude into the barrel. The brass is quite thin and seems more decorative than anything else upon closer inspection. Either way it looks great on the bookshelf in front of my Kenneth Roberts collection.
I'm just so pleased to have a good Beatty stamp with a steer!

I got this one a couple years ago. From a local antique store.
View attachment 1209587
The stamp is faint but with some TLC it could be brought out more.
View attachment 1209588
It's got an inlaid bit as well.
I don't know if you even like it but perhaps we could trade if you've got something I'm interested in?
I wanted to add that it's more legible in person. Very hard to capture in a photo but you can easily see Beatty & o
The S and O in son(s) isn't easy to see but it's obvious what it is. With some 600 grit and a flat sanding block I bet one could bring more out.
VERY kind of you to offer. I'm definitely interested. I'll send you an email.

I'm interested in that perfect handle screwdriver! The one with the damage. All the way left and 3rd item up.
Edit; maybe it's not very damaged after all. It appeared to be the first time I looked at it but now that I look again it doesn't look that bad. I actually want one with damaged scales as I want to make some for one. But I don't want to ruin a perfectly good screwdriver! I'll email you later. Thanks.

Last edited:
A few more things for the collection.
sJpAThw.jpg

I'm not that familiar with ice axes. But this one is a lot smaller than others I have seen. Has a 2" eye. 12-1/2" long. The temper is easily seen both at the bit and spike. I say temper because the steel is colored through completely. If it's high carbon steel the only weld present is the height and thickness of the bit. I'm positive it's temper we're seeing there. There's also a box of nos Simmons 7" slim taper files and of course my new flying fox from Council tools! (And 42blades) thanks man!
fqdguyW.jpg
ssAvcYw.jpg

I haven't had much luck finding any old ads for ice axes. If any of you have some would you mind sharing them with me? I'd like to see the sizes offered, weights, styles and patterns etc. Thanks!

Back