It followed me home (Part 2)

I have been chasing after a Tasmanian pattern for the better part of a year. Shipping was a harsh reality, but I do believe I may have lucked out on this Elwell 4 1/2 LB head that arrived yesterday. It arrived shiny and clean, but I gave it a soak in vinegar for about an hour to see what I had. This is how it arrived:
IMG-6690.jpg

Top down view. It has a little bit of cheek. Looks like it means business.
IMG-6691.jpg

A short soak shows a fair bit of hard steel.
IMG-6695.jpg

I came across some general history of Elwell tools, but could find almost no information about their axes for the Australian market. This one shows some use and appears to have been cleaned up a bit. The poll is immaculate, but also shows some evidence of at least a light cleanup. In all, it seems to have been treated well over its life. But I think it is coming back from retirement and going back to work once I find a haft for it.

As far as Stainless kitchen cutlery goes the old EKCO Flint stuff is my favorite, though I usually pass on all I find at Goodwill.
They put so much tape on everything that it's hard to tell if a blade is bent which they frequently are, and most of what I find is from the serrated Waverly edge line anyways.
I pass on the Waverly edge knives because I don't really like serrated blades , and often pass in general because you just cannot straighten the Flint blades without them snapping.
I can straighten Robinson knives, the Geneva Forge, and the IMPERIAL Verri Verri sharp or Mighty oak knives because they're a bit softer, but I've found no way to Avoid that dreaded Tink with the EKCO Flint blades.
It sucks too because the handles are great and the blades hold an edge pretty well and I had the idea to replace my mom's Chinese Crap with US made Flint knives 65¢ at a time.

F62fAjz.jpg

w66DvjH.jpg

Not much today but it was only 6 bucks, i did manage to find my first falls city kelly though!

anyone have any idea what the pistol grip thing is? it says millers falls but there's no number. it looks like it might be a compass saw of some kind. If you turn the nut on the back, it opens a 2 jaw clamp of some time

F62fAjz.jpg

w66DvjH.jpg

Not much today but it was only 6 bucks, i did manage to find my first falls city kelly though!

anyone have any idea what the pistol grip thing is? it says millers falls but there's no number. it looks like it might be a compass saw of some kind. If you turn the nut on the back, it opens a 2 jaw clamp of some time
That grips either a hack saw blade or a keyhole type blade as well. I've got one kicking around somewhere. I don't use that type much but when you need one they do come in handy. Nice job on the Kelly!
What make is the rasp??

The axe is an L&IJ White with A.L. Stamps on it and the R.R. lantern is Canadian
6-A85-CD6-F-F35-E-497-B-BC20-873-D7293-E7-F3.jpg

Henry Boker
A8-BDE2-E9-46-B2-449-B-8893-6-A796-EB69861.jpg
Sweet man that mast axe is gorgeous! Rest of the stuff ain't bad either! ;).
Is that an international rule?
Edit; I didn't spot it before but it's cool you found a wedge with an insert! I've only seen pictures of those. Would you take a couple close ups of the back of it? I'm interested in seeing how it attaches to the steel.

Sweet man that mast axe is gorgeous! Rest of the stuff ain't bad either! ;).
Is that an international rule?
Edit; I didn't spot it before but it's cool you found a wedge with an insert! I've only seen pictures of those. Would you take a couple close ups of the back of it? I'm interested in seeing how it attaches to the steel.
It’s an Atkins board measure rule for calculating board feet. You use the corresponding table to measure the diameter based on the length of the log.
F1-CCA4-A4-A911-449-D-B3-B5-D813-C696-FAF6.jpg

C3834826-6841-42-A4-8-BB8-7-F98205923-AA.jpg

22-F9617-C-94-F9-4643-A44-F-A41147-FDE5-FE.jpg
F889111-E-ED7-C-4271-AA82-6-A1-B21401354.jpg

It’s an Atkins board measure rule for calculating board feet. You use the corresponding table to measure the diameter based on the length of the log.
F1-CCA4-A4-A911-449-D-B3-B5-D813-C696-FAF6.jpg

C3834826-6841-42-A4-8-BB8-7-F98205923-AA.jpg

22-F9617-C-94-F9-4643-A44-F-A41147-FDE5-FE.jpg
I'm familiar with what it is I was just wondering which scale it used. There's different ones regionally or the international rule. For instance there was a Bangor(ME) rule. I didn't know but maybe it was a north western rule. If such a thing even existed! It's super nice regardless of which type it is!

I'm familiar with what it is I was just wondering which scale it used. There's different ones regionally or the international rule. For instance there was a Bangor(ME) rule. I didn't know but maybe it was a north western rule. If such a thing even existed! It's super nice regardless of which type it is!
Holy cow!? LoL. I didn’t know. How do I tell the difference?

Back