It followed me home (Part 2)

20191109_191445-785x1264.jpg 20191109_191522-785x2163.jpg Also this came today. Really nice cheeky lady. 3.75lbs. It appears to be stamped on the right side, but I'll double check with calipers. The shape and also a 'stamp under the poll' weight stamp should be under the poll, right? I have two other Kelly's from two different eras that are right side stamped, as well. A Connie FE, and a big ol Michigan FE.

Bw0yfrH.jpg

qK6ozD6.jpg

wtx7VPe.jpg

SQJNVo3.jpg

2TuucvO.jpg

Q1VnOjO.jpg

Here's the full haul, this guy was a serious winchester collector and there were so many model 1866s in amazing condition that went for thousands. So naturally, i got a few winchester tools, the wrench, rifle rest and spoke shave are all in very nice condition. various measuring tools, a william mann broad axe that in my heart, is from the civil war era but is more likely from any time before the mann E.T. CO. was formed. the double claw hammer is a voight from 1902ish and is worth somewhere around $200 from what i'v seen. the stamps are catalog dies and i'll be using them on my christmas cards lol. other than that i think there's the toffee axe, german style hacksaw, and lastly, that drill thing. it's got chisel tips and drill bits, i'd guess it's from the 1870's ish

Bw0yfrH.jpg

qK6ozD6.jpg

wtx7VPe.jpg

SQJNVo3.jpg

2TuucvO.jpg

Q1VnOjO.jpg

Here's the full haul, this guy was a serious winchester collector and there were so many model 1866s in amazing condition that went for thousands. So naturally, i got a few winchester tools, the wrench, rifle rest and spoke shave are all in very nice condition. various measuring tools, a william mann broad axe that in my heart, is from the civil war era but is more likely from any time before the mann E.T. CO. was formed. the double claw hammer is a voight from 1902ish and is worth somewhere around $200 from what i'v seen. the stamps are catalog dies and i'll be using them on my christmas cards lol. other than that i think there's the toffee axe, german style hacksaw, and lastly, that drill thing. it's got chisel tips and drill bits, i'd guess it's from the 1870's ish
Neat Stuff!

Bob

View attachment 1229264 View attachment 1229265 Also this came today. Really nice cheeky lady. 3.75lbs. It appears to be stamped on the right side, but I'll double check with calipers. The shape and also a 'stamp under the poll' weight stamp should be under the poll, right? I have two other Kelly's from two different eras that are right side stamped, as well. A Connie FE, and a big ol Michigan FE.

That's a good looking axe. With a little care it will be a serious workhorse.

Some tie hack used the heck out of that broad axe! Oh, the tails it could tell! Might have built one of the trans-continental railroads.
the wear is actually in mostly straight lines, i think it was used by a worker with a very set routine and work pattern, just never figured out to keep his work off the ground.

it is really unusual that the wear is consistent enough to be in a semi-straight line for about 2 inches along the toe

the wear is actually in mostly straight lines, i think it was used by a worker with a very set routine and work pattern, just never figured out to keep his work off the ground.

it is really unusual that the wear is consistent enough to be in a semi-straight line for about 2 inches along the toe
That is odd! Are you thinking it may have been deliberate? Looking at that photo it appears to be an equal angle and almost equal lengths on both heel and toe. I have seen very few Mann broad axes. Don't know about the rest of you?
And, in the second photo, are those hog ring pliers I see?

It looks like the classic example RR tie cutters broad axe. A man just concerned with making a living. Maybe a farmer's winter work. Or maybe a young man who did it year round. The demand was high and 10's of thousands of men were employed in the business. Mostly independent piece workers. How many could you cut in a day?

cedarriverforge.com/Photo-index/axephotos/Barnickol-RR%20Tie%20Hacking.pdf

That is odd! Are you thinking it may have been deliberate? Looking at that photo it appears to be an equal angle and almost equal lengths on both heel and toe. I have seen very few Mann broad axes. Don't know about the rest of you?
And, in the second photo, are those hog ring pliers I see?
if you mean the bit of cast aluminum marked winchester, i think it's a rifle rest actually.

Edit: I see what you're talking about, it's not but i dont know what it is, it's like a small hand held vise but there's a spring where the jaw should be, i can grab some pictures tomorrow and put them in the hand tool thread

Last edited:
View attachment 1229264 View attachment 1229265 Also this came today. Really nice cheeky lady. 3.75lbs. It appears to be stamped on the right side, but I'll double check with calipers. The shape and also a 'stamp under the poll' weight stamp should be under the poll, right? I have two other Kelly's from two different eras that are right side stamped, as well. A Connie FE, and a big ol Michigan FE.
No, you are correct. I picked up a WC Kelly Charleston W VA a while back. It is stamped on the right for sure.
WC-KELLY-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back