It followed me home (Part 2)

Old enough to have a front cover strike. I think they switched around 1970. I remember the switch when I was a kid. They decided having the striker on the back was safer because you couldn't strike into the other matches.
Thank you for pointing that out! I was born in '80 and I never noticed that old matchbooks had a front striker. I looked it up and the federally mandated change was in '73. Good memory!
I was just noticing that. Plus there's the original Part 1 thread. I never realized how popular this would be.
When will we have to start part 3? I was thinking 10,000 messages would be the limit but I guess not!

Yup, It's pretty neat! Any thoughts on the stamping? I can't find anything at all.
Afraid not.

Thank you @FLINT77 for spiriting away these hatchets to me. I rather like the scaled handle on the Black Prince. I’m surprised it isn’t also marked Welland Vale (All my other black princes are.) but maybe they didn’t put in on hatchets? Maybe it’s not a Welland Vale but coming with the other one it feels like it should be.
33-AF28-D0-7-F1-D-43-F3-93-B9-D05-F7-DF2-C639.jpg

DF7-B04-FF-464-B-41-FD-849-E-05-C2473-A7196.jpg

06-E1703-A-B95-E-4492-B55-B-CBC96-FFA711-F.jpg

C8-D3-F0-A9-95-BE-493-D-865-C-A640-C5-CF3879.jpg

They’re great, thanks again man! Cheers!

Last edited:

This one followed me home today! First Warren axe I have ever seen in the wild. Not sure what the SLS FRY CO is but the little research I did looks like maybe an old bridge company... but I didn’t find much at all. It is exactly 5 pounds and this is the biggest Dayton I have now. I have a Rixford that is similar but it’s 4.5. This Warren is huge lol. Thanks for lookin!

This one followed me home today! First Warren axe I have ever seen in the wild. Not sure what the SLS FRY CO is but the little research I did looks like maybe an old bridge company... but I didn’t find much at all. It is exactly 5 pounds and this is the biggest Dayton I have now. I have a Rixford that is similar but it’s 4.5. This Warren is huge lol. Thanks for lookin!

An Old Faithful at that. Nice score!

A few new things. Only my 3rd Connecticut pattern in the wild.
zO4LNXL.jpg
CLjvpmh.jpg
WfTGtwE.jpg

Even though that haft was over struck its reusable. And two nos S&N hafts. 1 30" over sized eye(that's why I keep buying them) and 1 28" boys axe haft.
KOFJMtj.jpg

There's more coming in the mail. Have a great Turkey day tomorrow everyone!
Edit; The Connecticut pattern I purchased wasn't supposed to arrive till Friday! I hadn't checked the mailbox yet when I made this post but it arrived 2 days early! Since when does that happen!?
Anyway it's a craftsman with a pointy "A". Measures 7"x5-1/4" and weighs #3-8.4oz. Marked 32.
15748880874287574995251009449419.jpg 15748881421205973679472469324598.jpg 15748881759274327652529605746951.jpg 15748882574937963975013066177545.jpg
Two connies in one day! Sweet!

Last edited:
When will we have to start part 3? I was thinking 10,000 messages would be the limit but I guess not!

Part 1 was closed because a user made a mess of it and the moderator needed to do a clean-up. Steve Tall thoughtfully started a Part 2 right away. Hopefully Part 2 will never need disinfecting like Part 1 did.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping this place friendly without stepping too hard on our need to express ourselves. I did that job for 7 years on another forum and I recognize the great efforts by volunteers working behind the scenes to keep a place like this running.

I came across this little broad axe on my way home today. Might be a worthwhile project. I picked up maybe 25-30 swamping patterns but put them all down. This pitted broad axe sort of spoke to me. Wasn't priced as a prize so it jumped in the truck with me.

Little.hew

Little.hew

I love a good rescue and that sir would have jumped in my truck too. Cant wait to see it when you have done a little magic to it!:thumbsup::cool:

Warren axe Old Faithful cruiser. 2lbs 7oz. 8 inches long. The eye is 2 1/8” long. Is this the normal eye size for cruiser? other then pitting it’s in great shape. I had been looking for a cruiser for over a year, but anything with a stamp and in good shape was too expensive. Can’t wait to hang this one!

Warren axe Old Faithful cruiser. 2lbs 7oz. 8 inches long. The eye is 2 1/8” long. Is this the normal eye size for cruiser? other then pitting it’s in great shape. I had been looking for a cruiser for over a year, but anything with a stamp and in good shape was too expensive. Can’t wait to hang this one!

Yeah 2-1/8" is spot on for a cruiser. That's a nice little axe!

I adore slender women but my axes have to have fat cheeks!!!!
I do not know, guys. There is something sexy about Sager/Warren's high center line. I knew my only Sager Adirondack double bit was badly worn on one side but once I touched those cheeks there was no coming back: It had to follow me home. I guess, It was love from the first touch :)

Last edited:

Bam! Thats a great score and i love every inch of how it looks :thumbsup::cool:

I came across this little broad axe on my way home today. Might be a worthwhile project. I picked up maybe 25-30 swamping patterns but put them all down. This pitted broad axe sort of spoke to me. Wasn't priced as a prize so it jumped in the truck with me.

Little.hew

Little.hew

That will still make a fine axe. It'll take some work but there's plenty there to work with.

Back