1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Old enough to have a front cover strike. I think they switched around 1970. I remember the switch when I was a kid. They decided having the striker on the back was safer because you couldn't strike into the other matches.

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you for pointing that out! I was born in '80 and I never noticed that old matchbooks had a front striker. I looked it up and the federally mandated change was in '73. Good memory!
    When will we have to start part 3? I was thinking 10,000 messages would be the limit but I guess not!

3. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Afraid not.

Thank you @FLINT77 for spiriting away these hatchets to me. I rather like the scaled handle on the Black Prince. I’m surprised it isn’t also marked Welland Vale (All my other black princes are.) but maybe they didn’t put in on hatchets? Maybe it’s not a Welland Vale but coming with the other one it feels like it should be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They’re great, thanks again man! Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    Fmont, Meek1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  5. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Diligence! Always check websites, antique stores, flea markets etc. And even then you'll still miss things or get outbid!
    I found that S&N matchbook on the 'bay. I bid against one other person but didn't end up paying too much for it. Thanks for the compliment!

Fmont, npace, Meek1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Well I for one would like to thank all of you. This is by far my favorite thread. I have seen and learned a lot of great things on here. Thank you all for posting and for saving all these old beauties!

7. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Slow leading upto the holiday but here are a few things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup::cool:

8. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one followed me home today! First Warren axe I have ever seen in the wild. Not sure what the SLS FRY CO is but the little research I did looks like maybe an old bridge company... but I didn’t find much at all. It is exactly 5 pounds and this is the biggest Dayton I have now. I have a Rixford that is similar but it’s 4.5. This Warren is huge lol. Thanks for lookin!

9. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    An Old Faithful at that. Nice score!

Fmont, Agent_H, Meek1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    I think Meek1 found it!! St. Louise Santa Fe Rail Yard Co!! Very cool!!

Fmont, Agent_H, Miller '72 and 5 others like this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    A few new things. Only my 3rd Connecticut pattern in the wild.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Even though that haft was over struck its reusable. And two nos S&N hafts. 1 30" over sized eye(that's why I keep buying them) and 1 28" boys axe haft.
    [​IMG]
    There's more coming in the mail. Have a great Turkey day tomorrow everyone!
    Edit; The Connecticut pattern I purchased wasn't supposed to arrive till Friday! I hadn't checked the mailbox yet when I made this post but it arrived 2 days early! Since when does that happen!?
    Anyway it's a craftsman with a pointy "A". Measures 7"x5-1/4" and weighs #3-8.4oz. Marked 32.
    15748880874287574995251009449419.jpg 15748881421205973679472469324598.jpg 15748881759274327652529605746951.jpg 15748882574937963975013066177545.jpg
    Two connies in one day! Sweet!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  12. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Part 1 was closed because a user made a mess of it and the moderator needed to do a clean-up. Steve Tall thoughtfully started a Part 2 right away. Hopefully Part 2 will never need disinfecting like Part 1 did.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping this place friendly without stepping too hard on our need to express ourselves. I did that job for 7 years on another forum and I recognize the great efforts by volunteers working behind the scenes to keep a place like this running.

Fmont, Forgery62, Brian Rust and 7 others like this.
  13. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I came across this little broad axe on my way home today. Might be a worthwhile project. I picked up maybe 25-30 swamping patterns but put them all down. This pitted broad axe sort of spoke to me. Wasn't priced as a prize so it jumped in the truck with me.

[​IMG]
    Little.hew

[​IMG]
    Little.hew

14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I love a good rescue and that sir would have jumped in my truck too. Cant wait to see it when you have done a little magic to it!:thumbsup::cool:

Fmont, Yankee Josh, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  15. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    Warren axe Old Faithful cruiser. 2lbs 7oz. 8 inches long. The eye is 2 1/8” long. Is this the normal eye size for cruiser? other then pitting it’s in great shape. I had been looking for a cruiser for over a year, but anything with a stamp and in good shape was too expensive. Can’t wait to hang this one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah 2-1/8" is spot on for a cruiser. That's a nice little axe!

Maine20, Agent_H, Miller '72 and 3 others like this.
  17. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I adore slender women but my axes have to have fat cheeks!!!!
    I do not know, guys. There is something sexy about Sager/Warren's high center line. I knew my only Sager Adirondack double bit was badly worn on one side but once I touched those cheeks there was no coming back: It had to follow me home. I guess, It was love from the first touch :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Fmont, Maine20, Hairy Clipper and 3 others like this.
  18. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Bam! Thats a great score and i love every inch of how it looks :thumbsup::cool:

Fmont, Maine20, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  19. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That will still make a fine axe. It'll take some work but there's plenty there to work with.

Fmont, Yankee Josh, A17 and 2 others like this.
  20. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    20 bucks.Followed an ad about 5 dollar axes that were all crap and a crazy old lady tried to give me the entire garage.Think it was around 16 for the true temper they sell them for 20 and they had a sale going.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]