It followed me home (Part 2)

Yes indeed,it is a good question...
I do know that they managed to deforest pretty much their entire island,and do so rather efficiently and in not that long a time.Mostly hardwoods,too,and of a Very serious size at that-those old-growth English oaks and elms and chestnuts...Those trees weren't small...
My own,totally uninformed guess would be some tricky way of felling by having to pocket out sections to retain control over the tree till the last moment...?...
You mean something like this?

Last edited:
I have a similar set up that I have never plugged in, needs a new cord and belt. Seems to be some variation in the grit level of these old stones too.
Yeah I wouldn't mind finding a coarser wheel. It would be very, very useful if I could remove material a little faster.
It is perfect for machetes, scythes, swords and the like. But I've done literally one of each on it. I do like the finish it leaves. So on a project where I'm trying to retain an old "look" it works well for that.
Do you know what grit yours is?

Yes,very much like that:) .Excellent video,really enjoyed watching it,thanks.
(there used to be a video around of a girl doing an even fancier pattern of channeling through a tree,also Norsk,and using a very similarly shaped axe).

Yet another aspect is that the designation "felling" may be only partially true,as in if these axes were used for hewing as well,which dictated it's own reasons for such "reach".
There's one in that video right there,used for splitting,that is even longer than the one used in felling...

I wonder under what circumstance the long feeling axe was developed? The reasoning behind it may be lost to time...

Makes sense. Long bit for mortise work. I've speculated that the long bits on the Puget Sound falling axe were designed for cutting springboard notches, another form of mortising. Can't cut deep with a short bit. Nope!

Yeah I wouldn't mind finding a coarser wheel. It would be very, very useful if I could remove material a little faster.
It is perfect for machetes, scythes, swords and the like. But I've done literally one of each on it. I do like the finish it leaves. So on a project where I'm trying to retain an old "look" it works well for that.
Do you know what grit yours is?
The one on my current treadle seams to be about like yours, 600 or maybe even a little higher. The difference I have seen in them may come down to friability more than actual grit size. Belts with modern abrasives will beat the pants off of them for speed. When the weather warms up I will look into it a little more.

The particular axe from the Swedish video is a reproduction of a medieval Scandinavian axe and you would have to take on a very broad perspective to draw parallels with that one and the long felling axe from the English catalogue though there is a pretty widespread tradition of chopping trees with long and narrow bitted axes. Making a parallel with a stichtaxt is even more fanciful in my way of seeing . Intervening in such a perspective are the axes from the region centered on Brussels, extending out to the Ardennes and to north France up to the Maas . It makes getting information on these axes difficult, almost requiring good knowledge of both French and Flemish, but I'm sure that form has made its way from this area across the narrows of the Channel 'twixt Brugge and Calais.
Personally, I don't think the form is all that old either, middle to end 19th cent. So in terms of this (very) particular type of axe we are talking about a limited place and time frame - it's my opinion in any case. The form must also derive from many factors both subjective and utilitarian. We can all imagine. One influence I would say is the history of coal mining in that area. Another would logically be their practices of forestry.
Here is one old photo of some Belgian houthakkers scrounged up from one thread on this forum from some time back, the "aks" in question there stuck in a stump to the right-hand side.
img-15.png

Here is a - fairly staged, if you ask me - shot of actors with such long fellers at work in the forest of Belgium.
86.jpg

Last edited:
w2qM8Xs.jpg

went over to my grandparents house last night to do some work on the shotgun and a knife, while i was wire brushing and grinding respectively, my grandpa was stacking these drawers in front of me. when he finished i turned off the grinder to listen. he said that he hadnt touched these tools in almost 50 years and that they were once my great grandpa's from when he owned a gunsmithing shop.

now obviously im excited to be getting tools but im even more excited about the history of them. previously, the only tools i had from anyone in my family was my grandpa's double bit that was just layin around catchin rust, and a few things from my great great uncle's basement.

but also i have a good bit of bits to use in my breast drill so im very thankful

74-E7-AC81-6366-4-B22-AC33-26-B859-FC4-B2-A.jpg
Picked these two up at an auction over the weekend. Been pretty lazy the last couple days trying to fight this cold I have. Anyways the saw is a Dunlap warranted superior and the hatchet has a diamond stamp with the word diamond under it. I’m guessing it’s China. Anybody know anything about these like time period? Paid 6 bucks for the pair so not bad. There was also a nice froe in the lot but another gentleman wanted worse than I.

74-E7-AC81-6366-4-B22-AC33-26-B859-FC4-B2-A.jpg
Picked these two up at an auction over the weekend. Been pretty lazy the last couple days trying to fight this cold I have. Anyways the saw is a Dunlap warranted superior and the hatchet has a diamond stamp with the word diamond under it. I’m guessing it’s China. Anybody know anything about these like time period? Paid 6 bucks for the pair so not bad. There was also a nice froe in the lot but another gentleman wanted worse than I.

I have an axe head with the same diamond stamps - and from what I've read its from china. the one I have seems like a pretty good axe though - much better quality than recent collins or similar axes. Not sure on the date. The one I have belonged to a friend of the family and if I had to guess it's from the 80s maybe plus or minus 10 years.

Diamond has been around a long time in China, as has another company making similar tools with a deer logo on them.
The stuff is certainly not useless.
Do I go looking for it no, but it's useable and I had a pair of pliers from that I used the crap out of without complaint.

w2qM8Xs.jpg

went over to my grandparents house last night to do some work on the shotgun and a knife, while i was wire brushing and grinding respectively, my grandpa was stacking these drawers in front of me. when he finished i turned off the grinder to listen. he said that he hadnt touched these tools in almost 50 years and that they were once my great grandpa's from when he owned a gunsmithing shop.

now obviously im excited to be getting tools but im even more excited about the history of them. previously, the only tools i had from anyone in my family was my grandpa's double bit that was just layin around catchin rust, and a few things from my great great uncle's basement.

but also i have a good bit of bits to use in my breast drill so im very thankful

I am a bit curious where the rest of the shotgun is for the top lever in the box?

The particular axe from the Swedish video is a reproduction of a medieval Scandinavian axe and you would have to take on a very broad perspective to draw parallels with that one and the long felling axe from the English catalogue though there is a pretty widespread tradition of chopping trees with long and narrow bitted axes. Making a parallel with a stichtaxt is even more fanciful in my way of seeing . Intervening in such a perspective are the axes from the region centered on Brussels, extending out to the Ardennes and to north France up to the Maas . It makes getting information on these axes difficult, almost requiring good knowledge of both French and Flemish, but I'm sure that form has made its way from this area across the narrows of the Channel 'twixt Brugge and Calais.
Personally, I don't think the form is all that old either, middle to end 19th cent. So in terms of this (very) particular type of axe we are talking about a limited place and time frame - it's my opinion in any case. The form must also derive from many factors both subjective and utilitarian. We can all imagine. One influence I would say is the history of coal mining in that area. Another would logically be their practices of forestry.
Here is one old photo of some Belgian houthakkers scrounged up from one thread on this forum from some time back, the "aks" in question there stuck in a stump to the right-hand side.
img-15.png

Here is a - fairly staged, if you ask me - shot of actors with such long fellers at work in the forest of Belgium.
86.jpg
Long bits for short stumps. :thumbsup:

Starting off to be a great axe year!
Thank you to my sweet, loving, rocking, kick ass mom for this surprise gift. She is a young 71:):cool:

20200122-144605.jpg

20200122-151241.jpg

20200122-151127.jpg

20200122-151227.jpg

20200122-151256.jpg

And thank you @Steve Tall for still providing in what i hope is a temporary absence...

Almost a total of 5¾lbs
34" of Charter Oak hickory

I will be looking for just the right "priced" ox yoke now to display (in my garage for me-and for when mom comes visit) with this magnificent axe.

Last edited:
Starting off to be a great axe year!
Thank you to my sweet, loving, rocking, kick ass mom for this surprise gift. She is a young 71:):cool:

20200122-144605.jpg

20200122-151241.jpg

20200122-151127.jpg

20200122-151227.jpg

20200122-151256.jpg

And thank you @Steve Tall for still providing in what i hope is a temporary absence...

Almost a total of 5¾lbs
34" of Charter Oak hickory

I will be looking for just the right "priced" ox yoke now to display (in my garage for me-and for when mom comes visit) with this magnificent axe.
She has great taste too!

Here's a new one I picked up on the 'Bay. Listed as unmarked with no weight. The seller had a good top down shot and I saw the high centerline. Very little damage to the poll but covered in a thick coat of greasy rust. Here it is cleaned up. And lookee there! A Plumb 4lb... what is it, a Dayton?
IMG-7054.jpg

IMG-7056.jpg

IMG-7058.jpg

IMG-7061.jpg

Yes, that's a Dayton. Looks really good. Very little damage to the poll and little wear to the toe. Good job!

Back