It followed me home (Part 2)

This came from the bay a few months back. The seller had several axes listed with 2 really crappy, grainy, and dark pictures of each axe. One picture fairly close to the head, and one from a distance showing it had a handle in it. If I remember correctly the starting bid was $17.95 for handled axes with the option he would saw the handle off to save on shipping.

This one caught my attention because of the Connecticut look the head had. Once I had it in my hands I saw that the axe was pretty old, and I don't think it is a Connecticut pattern either. Are there any other long discontinued patterns that had a narrow rounded poll?

Here's the sweet part. I ended up getting two axes from the seller, and he combined shipping so I had him ship the axes with handles. One handle was crap, then the Plumb above was hung on this. No damage, no rot, perfect vertical grain, and straight as a gun barrel!

Edited to add 2 pic's of the head.

Last edited:
This one caught my attention because of the Connecticut look the head had. Once I had it in my hands I saw that the axe was pretty old, and I don't think it is a Connecticut pattern either. Are there any other long discontinued patterns that had a narrow rounded poll?

New England pattern ???
vintage-axe-manual-peter-mclaren_1_0bd27b6cafb3a67dcd470bbd979673b2.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-axe-manual-peter-mclaren-1974971393

This came from the bay a few months back. The seller had several axes listed with 2 really crappy, grainy, and dark pictures of each axe. One picture fairly close to the head, and one from a distance showing it had a handle in it. If I remember correctly the starting bid was $17.95 for handled axes with the option he would saw the handle off to save on shipping.

Here's the sweet part. I ended up getting two axes from the seller, and he combined shipping so I had him ship the axes with handles. One handle was crap, then the Plumb above was hung on this. No damage, no rot, perfect vertical grain, and straight as a gun barrel!

Dang!!!!! Yes please! That is gorgeous!!!! Great find!

Nice yours is in GREAT shape! Its the size of the eye that makes me think it was meant for a smaller DB. There was a poor attempt at added filler wedge on one side of the eye that I basically pulled out with my fingers. Gaps on bottom of eye as well. I think I'll save the haft for a future project of a smaller DB that fits better. Length is 32.5" as it sits. You can see that the head was sitting lower than the shoulder, and he just attempted to wedge it like that.
I would take this as a blessing in disguise. Most of the axes I find have a ton of metal shoved into them. And I spend up to an hour carefully performing surgery trying to get it all out and not damage the wood. Finding a haft in that good of shape that is just slipped into the head is an awesome find. I am always happy when I get one that just pops right off. And you got a Flint Edge to boot! Now you have 2 new adventures. Finding a new head for your very very nice vintage haft, and finding another vintage haft for your very very nice Flint Edge. They are both great pieces. They may not go together exactly. But you did great saving them. Look forward to seeing what you find to pair them with.

I would take this as a blessing in disguise. Most of the axes I find have a ton of metal shoved into them. And I spend up to an hour carefully performing surgery trying to get it all out and not damage the wood. Finding a haft in that good of shape that is just slipped into the head is an awesome find. I am always happy when I get one that just pops right off. And you got a Flint Edge to boot! Now you have 2 new adventures. Finding a new head for your very very nice vintage haft, and finding another vintage haft for your very very nice Flint Edge. They are both great pieces. They may not go together exactly. But you did great saving them. Look forward to seeing what you find to pair them with.

Thanks for the positive encouragement Meek! I was delighted when the head came off clean with little effort. I haven't been in the game too long but already know all too well what the average Joe used to tighten his wood handled tools. I think I dug 5-6 pieces of nails out of one half hatchet, and countless random shards of metal in others.
I've already decided I won't settle for hanging the DB Flint on a new haft, so I'm on the hunt for a nice vintage piece. Also, I won't settle for any head to go on the TT haft outside of a 2 - 2.5 lb TT to match it.

My mate from down under made me an incredible gift. This Australian Bush Knife made from repurposed sheep shears and an axe handle grip. (Australian Blackbutt wood.)
5-F8-BC7-E2-2-B3-F-4-C75-86-E9-5875-B4142805.jpg

418-DD944-99-C1-4-C9-F-AFC4-E309-B0-EEFE8-D.jpg

D6-D15-CE9-5092-429-D-B9-F1-CB418-C234777.jpg

C50308-A4-53-C5-4488-9370-E412-FE51802-D.jpg

You guys should check out his inspirational wedge work on his axe hangs: https://instagram.com/larrikinaxe?igshid=ovcknpyyy5tf

Really a great repurpose and sweet to look at!
Looks great and I like the flush screw or pin tops.
Now i don't have to get a flock of my own to utilize my pairs of sheap sheers :D:thumbsup::)

Last edited:
As has been said, well done man! That's enough rust to keep you playing for two weeks! That S&N Hudson bay is nice. On the original helve too! I've noticed the ones they made for LL Bean usually have excellent grain. Who's the maker of the pick pole? I can't quite make it out...

Thanks Josh. The only markings i see at the moment are the partial stamped into the handle...L T Wood. The grain is very straight:thumbsup:

What a massive score!

Lots of great stuff there but that True Temper rack is just over the top.

Thanks Square, that True Temper rack is the cats meow in my garage right now:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Looks like you bought an old hardware store! I’ve been on the hunt for an older LL Bean Hudson Bay, if you want to sell it I would be interested. nice finds!

Man how i would be in heaven to buy, own, run, play in an old hardware store:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks you, for the moment the L.L.Bean will be staying, but if ever i feel it needs to fly away...i will contact you first:thumbsup::cool:

Something for everbody in that pile!

Looks like a decent condition saw, next to the smaller one man. Maybe a Simonds 325 or similar. Any etch left?

Its a big pile:D Been working on this haul, little by little, here and there...yesterday i made the rounds to collect;)

The felling saw i think you are describing...its in great shape but i did not see an etch or other markings. I hope to get a better look at it and everyrhing over the next several days:cool::cool:I will let you know. Exciting, i dont have a Simonds crosscut:)

Dang Miller sweet score. Glad to see the storage and caretakeing hasnt lowered your passion for the old stuff.

Oh, definitely running out of storage space, display space, work space...all space really:D
Thank you Mr. Stien :cool::thumbsup:

Quinton, here's an old blacksmith made hatchet with a narrow rounded poll. Smaller than a standard scout hatchet. 4 3/8" X 3 3/8". Kinda reminds me of a ct pattern. I put it on a 16" handle, I've been splitting mesquite for my smoker with it for 3 years, it performs better at that than my larger hatchets.
b5rzSBf.jpg
f2jwqIx.jpg

Quinton, here's an old blacksmith made hatchet with a narrow rounded poll. Smaller than a standard scout hatchet. 4 3/8" X 3 3/8". Kinda reminds me of a ct pattern. I put it on a 16" handle, I've been splitting mesquite for my smoker with it for 3 years, it performs better at that than my larger hatchets.
b5rzSBf.jpg
f2jwqIx.jpg
That actually reminds me of the woodsman pattern. It's old and pre-dates the Connecticut pattern.
That's a very nice old hatchet you've got there! Where'd you get it if you don't mind my asking?

Back