It followed me home (Part 2)

I need some help guys... Got 2 new things this morning;
pEtE03H.jpg

vJdR4f9.jpg

The log rule is cool. 48" But that hatchet! It's so fantastic! It's got stamps everywhere! And I can't find info on any of it yet... thought I'd ask if you all knew anything about either W. MM. Baxter or BD&co Aroostook Boston.

tp50u5B.jpg

DSaiQr5.jpg

It's double stamped W MM Baxter on both sides of the poll...
4XwH6cO.jpg

byrcCND.jpg

It also has a triangle stamped under the poll.
View attachment 1284211
My gut feeling is this is pretty darn old. It sure seems it! Thanks in advance for any help. The BD&co isn't leading anywhere due to the similarity to B&D co. I'm very pleased to own both items and would greatly appreciate any info at all!
This thing is awesome! I hope someone has some info!

I need some help guys... Got 2 new things this morning;
pEtE03H.jpg

vJdR4f9.jpg

The log rule is cool. 48" But that hatchet! It's so fantastic! It's got stamps everywhere! And I can't find info on any of it yet... thought I'd ask if you all knew anything about either W. MM. Baxter or BD&co Aroostook Boston.

tp50u5B.jpg

DSaiQr5.jpg

It's double stamped W MM Baxter on both sides of the poll...
4XwH6cO.jpg

byrcCND.jpg

It also has a triangle stamped under the poll.
View attachment 1284211
My gut feeling is this is pretty darn old. It sure seems it! Thanks in advance for any help. The BD&co isn't leading anywhere due to the similarity to B&D co. I'm very pleased to own both items and would greatly appreciate any info at all!
Not sure how to read that label BD&Co or B&D Co
axe-label-aroostook-county-boston-mass-oakland_1_4499a548766081612e66d77ca8726a91.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/axe-label-aroostook-county-boston-mass-oakland
"Hand Made Warranted" stamp makes me think it was probably made in 1930ies

B. D. & Co. 1916 Mini Engineers Tap Holder T Bar Wrench
il_794xN.1777172728_59tm.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/682384837/vintage-b-d-co-1916-mini-engineers-tap

Not sure how to read that label BD&Co or B&D Co
axe-label-aroostook-county-boston-mass-oakland_1_4499a548766081612e66d77ca8726a91.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/axe-label-aroostook-county-boston-mass-oakland
"Hand Made Warranted" stamp makes me think it was probably made in 1930ies

B. D. & Co. 1916 Mini Engineers Tap Holder T Bar Wrench
il_794xN.1777172728_59tm.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/682384837/vintage-b-d-co-1916-mini-engineers-tap
Thank you very much for that! And for your take on it. I don't know what other search terms I could've used but I've been looking and looking and can't find anything!:confused: So thank you! :D
Thr stamp looks like BD & co?
I have since noticed that the stamps on either side of the poll are William M Baxter. ie;
Wm M. Baxter
Took me awhile to notice that the first "m" was indeed smaller than the second one.
Even though I've never seen a homeowner stamp so perfectly straight, and perfectly spaced, I'm wondering if those stamps may have been an owner or a company. Being double stamped and on both sides it seems a little excessive for a manufacturer. Who knows though! Now to try and figure out what BD&co stands for....:)

Lots of neat finds here lately! Thanks for sharing everyone! I'll add a few to the mix of my recent finds. Most interesting, to me, is the pitch fork in excellent condition. It's full of maker marks, AF&hoe, TT, OVB, HSB &co. The vise grips are the oldest pair I've come across, never seen a patent stamp on a pair before. The action on them is also the best I've felt. The Estwing I just couldn't leave sitting there, leather stack handle still tight all the way around, and the original sheath is still very usable. The Plumb BSA was a $5 find, permabond handle still very tight. I started cleaning it up, going to leave it on the handle while restoring so it will be slow going. And of course, the 48" Disston crosscut, my first, and still quite sharp. The prices on them are through the roof in my neck of the woods, found this one at a good price. Can't wait to put it back to work! Thanks for looking, and enjoy! Have a good rest of your weekend everyone!

Almost forgot about the cool old DE tin sign I snagged too!
upload image free

Last edited:
Lots of neat finds here lately! Thanks for sharing everyone! I'll add a few to the mix of my recent finds. Most interesting, to me, is the pitch fork in excellent condition. It's full of maker marks, AF&hoe, TT, OVB, HSB &co. The vise grips are the oldest pair I've come across, never seen a patent stamp on a pair before. The action on them is also the best I've felt. The Estwing I just couldn't leave sitting there, leather stack handle still tight all the way around, and the original sheath is still very usable. The Plumb BSA was a $5 find, permabond handle still very tight. I started cleaning it up, going to leave it on the handle while restoring so it will be slow going. And of course, the 48" Disston crosscut, my first, and still quite sharp. The prices on them are through the roof in my neck of the woods, found this one at a good price. Can't wait to put it back to work! Thanks for looking, and enjoy! Have a good rest of your weekend everyone!

upload image free
Wow man! Great haul! That Plumb will clean up great! Be sure to post pics when you get it done. That pitchfork is something else! All great finds, thanks for sharing!!!

upload image free

Which maker uses the reddish epoxy looking material on the eye and what is its purpose?
Scored an axe today with no makers markings of any kind with that has that.
Plumb did it most. It's called "permabond" and theirs is always red in color. Other companies used epoxy too but I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head. Nor which color but I recall seeing blue... I know a lot of Chinese axes came with epoxy as well. So 8 times out of 10 it'll be either a Plumb or a Chinese axe.
They used it for strength and to keep out moisture as well.

Last edited:
Wow man! Great haul! That Plumb will clean up great! Be sure to post pics when you get it done. That pitchfork is something else! All great finds, thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Meek! Will definitely share the before and after of the Plumb when it's done. The pitchfork was by far my favorite recent find. Not a wiggle in it anywhere. HSB&co. Has some interesting history behind it, spent last night trying to date the fork with all it's labeling.

Plumb did it most. It's called "permabond" and there's is always red in color. Other companies used epoxy too but I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head. Nor which color but I recall seeing blue... I know a lot of Chinese axes came with epoxy as well. So 8 times out of 10 it'll be either a Plumb or a Chinese axe.
Got it and thanks! A Plumb would likely be branded I assume??? Mine has a nice feel to it but still to much of a newcomer to tell. Has a VERY mild wedge and for the most part is really narrow the bulk of the length. I’m thinking China all the way.

Got it and thanks! A Plumb would likely be branded I assume??? Mine has a nice feel to it but still to much of a newcomer to tell. Has a VERY mild wedge and for the most part is really narrow the bulk of the length. I’m thinking China all the way.
Not necessarily, if it is newer it may not have a stamp at all. But if it has the red Permabond as Josh stated it is likely Plumb. Does it have a red handle?

Plumb did it most. It's called "permabond" and there's is always red in color. Other companies used epoxy too but I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head. Nor which color but I recall seeing blue... I know a lot of Chinese axes came with epoxy as well. So 8 times out of 10 it'll be either a Plumb or a Chinese axe.

I think Wetterlings (Sweedish company) also did this at some point in maybe the 70s or 80s or something.

I also had a hatchet at one time with a curved red fiberglass handle that had red epoxy in the eye - certainly it was chinese.

post a picture of the axe and someone can maybe hazard a guess

upload image free
A really nice tater fork!

Not necessarily, if it is newer it may not have a stamp at all. But if it has the red Permabond as Josh stated it is likely Plumb. Does it have a red handle?

[URL='https://postimages.org/']

PLUMB-RED-3.jpg
[/URL]
It did have a red handle (faded) and remnants of a decal in the identical spot until I sanded it down this afternoon. Photos forthcoming...

A really nice tater fork!

My father always called them a potatoe fork, too!

When dad was young my grandpa would plant an acre of potatoes near the lake on their farm here on the southern Minnesota prairie. When it was time to get them bagged up for market, dad and his two brothers were tasked with digging the spuds with their only potatoe fork, which is the one I have now. After grandpa moved to town the middle brother rented the farm and planted potatoes in the very same somewhat sandy soil for many years. However, that potatoe fork must have given my uncle a backache! The first year he farmed the old home place on his own there was much excitement among us all that would help harvest spuds. There was a new to him potatoe plow in operation behind the John Deere A and the JD B model was pulling the wagon with burlap bags filled with potatoes. All us kids were too small to load a filled bag onto the wagon, but, with four of us filling bags we could keep grandma busy tying the top of the bags and loading them on the wagon.

Last edited:
My father always called them a potatoe fork, too!

When dad was young my grandpa would plant an acre of potatoes near the lake on their farm here on the southern Minnesota prairie. When it was time to get them bagged up for market, dad and his two brothers were tasked with digging the spuds with their only potatoe fork, which is the one I have now. After grandpa moved to town the middle brother rented the farm and planted potatoes in the very same somewhat sandy soil for many years. However, that potatoe fork must have given my uncle a backache! The first year he farmed the old home place on his own there was much excitement among us all that would help harvest spuds. There was a new to him potatoe plow in operation behind the John Deere A and the JD B model was pulling the wagon with burlap bags filled with potatoes. All us kids were to small to load a filled bag onto the wagon, but, with four of us filling bags we could keep grandma busy tying the top of the bags and loading them on the wagon.
I used to plow my taters out with a tractor when I was younger. Now I actually enjoy diggin' em with a fork. Funny how as I age I find enjoyment in the slower, simpler things in life.
Love my Pontiacs!

Love my Kennebecs too!

Kennebecs make the BEST hash browns EVER!

Back