It followed me home (Part 2)

Showed up at my house today. I was pleased to see on online retailer this week had a agdor axe from hults bruk and i grabbed one before they were gone. Apparently not previously available in the usa I've wanted one of these montreal patterns for some time. Nice axe, in line with their more economical line of utility axes, I swung it around a bit in some walnut bucks. Good heft and balance, handle feels great. Its a 2.5lb head at 28 inches. The hang could be seated a little better i think, big old gap on either side of the handle. But solid no wiggle with my very short testing. I think i might un-hang it and seat it a little lower. Visually it will look better. It's clearly to high on the neck of the handle. Probably polish the bit out some more to when i have it off.
Still pleased overall with it and that these are finally available.
image by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr

Just picked these up from a little family run mom and pop hardware store near me.
15" on the hatches 23" on the boys. All seem to have great grain.
DaGz1wQ.jpg
QGMyEnT.jpg

I had to buy out all they had in stock. Too much of a bargain.

Showed up at my house today. I was pleased to see on online retailer this week had a agdor axe from hults bruk and i grabbed one before they were gone. Apparently not previously available in the usa I've wanted one of these montreal patterns for some time. Nice axe, in line with their more economical line of utility axes, I swung it around a bit in some walnut bucks. Good heft and balance, handle feels great. Its a 2.5lb head at 28 inches. The hang could be seated a little better i think, big old gap on either side of the handle. But solid no wiggle with my very short testing. I think i might un-hang it and seat it a little lower. Visually it will look better. It's clearly to high on the neck of the handle. Probably polish the bit out some more to when i have it off.
Still pleased overall with it and that these are finally available.
A rehang is definitely in order for that one.
Not even the chinese hardware store garbage around here has hangs that bad, the gaps thougho_O
I expected more from hults. What's the steel like?
In the short time I had a modern gfb before flipping it I noticed it was extremely hard and rung like a bell.
Wrong sort of blade profile for these parts though.

Got this the other day. Will be an interesting project trying to undo the damage from a prior owner. If I can pull it off it's a really nice stamp on a good head...
a0u6f1A.jpg

vGlI0Da.jpg

Oh thats a beautiful stamp and a Connecticut pattern in a prior life. I hope you can get that wonky eye back a bit to hold a handle.
Hope to hear what and how it goes hammering that back into shape, even just a little.
Great for you wanting to save it and try

Sunday morning nice and early, i was able to get out and visit a friend of mine, who is a friend of tools and anything rusty

20200719-113727.jpg

20200719-113716.jpg

20200719-113512.jpg

Among a few other non axe discoveries of my rusty treasures i found this guy...

20200721-000701.jpg

20200721-000707.jpg

20200721-000716.jpg

20200721-000139.jpg

20200721-000745.jpg

Sid Axworthy axes were carried by hardware wholesaler Charles Weiland Hardware Corporation based in New York City, some axes like this one were stamped Parker Tool Co.
Thank you as always @SteveTall , I hope you are well

Back