It followed me home (Part 2)

Got a 4 pound brades cockatoo made in England stamped rafting pattern. Doesn't have the usual brades lettering with pattern number underneath it ie 1571. Can't find it in any of the catalogues archived online either.
Also stamped 6-409 on the back side. Not sure if manufacturer or business inventory stamp, its not the typical brades pattern number. Has some toe wear and mushrooming already cleaned up. Poll is hardened and like the rest of the head has seen a good amount of use.
nI3zBoM.jpg
j4fFoYm.jpg
CdMjr6p.jpg
5kq3DRi.jpg
u5neZ7O.jpg
mHi67NO.jpg

Belt loop and mask from Tourbon, knife from a small Australian maker called Forged Hunter.
TPuUrXb.jpg

2 sizes of masks with the smaller also working for hatchets, a full cover with belt loops, overstrike protectors, new Norton stone with cover also has belt loops and the wedge pouch all from a small family run Australian company called sneddens fencing supplies.
They also make axe supplies and an amazing axe in the knockabout.
KJGWDq0.jpg
HnGXjpX.jpg
Look at this thing. Its pricey but I'm probably going to get one as an heirloom piece in future. They're made to order out of nickel chromolly. There's a hatchet to.
YG9Yc6A.jpg
Edit: Forgot to mention 2 new 8" and a 4" (for the pouch) NOS Made in the USA stamped Nicholson files.

Last edited:
Miller that's some amazing white oak man! I must admit my envy! We don't have any here, and it's hard to find too in the sizes I need for making helves.
But my find in the wild yesterday kind of makes up fot it a bit. ;)
I found one of the nicest and most valuable axe I own yesterday in the wild. It's ridiculous! To say I'm happy would be a grievous understatement!
Check this dayum thing out guys!
A 6lb (over 7lbs with the helve) paper label Warren Axe & Tool fire axe! :D
xEtYc2B.jpg

qw3XMO8.jpg

N6brtoZ.jpg

TgwUTpp.jpg

31hEulF.jpg

UiZUjLp.jpg

vTd2N8o.jpg
2TbmXu6.jpg
viPYdqB.jpg

I've calmed down a little. Paid next to nothing for it, which is the best part! I've never even seen one this nice! I very gently oiled it, and now the front looks painted again like the back. The stamps are clear and legible and all rust has been stopped but not removed. I'll share some better photos when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Josh-You really are an axe magnet. You found another beauty! Have my eyes gone bad? The helve looks like it is 3½ feet long?
I jokingly said the other day to a couple buddies, "now that I finally have a paper label, they are going to flock to me"!
So yes please! If I can be a magnet for evil women, debt and injuries at least I can attract some good shit too! :D;)
Thank you man, I appreciate that. It's actually a 35" helve. It does look quite long in the pictures and I'm not sure why. The head is quite large at 12-1/4" X 5-1/8" bit. So you'd think that would make even a long helve appear diminutive. I know it looks a lot nicer in person! Thx again sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

I jokingly said the other day to a couple buddies, "now that I finally have a paper label, they are going to flock to me"!
So yes please! If I can be a magnet for evil women, debt and injuries at least I can attract some good shit too! :D;)
Thank you man, I appreciate that. It's actually a 35" helve. It does look quite long in the pictures and I'm not sure why. The head is quite large at 12-1/4" X 5-1/8" bit. So you'd think that would make even a long helve appear diminutive. I know it looks a lot nicer in person! Thx again sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
Was it part of somebody's axe collection? Never used Fireman Axe in private hands;that is just unusual.

Last edited:
Was it part of somebody axe collection? Never used Fireman Axe in private hands;that is just unusual.
I believe it was. And not just anyone's either! I'll have to call the guy and ask him, but he bought a lot of items from David Rockefeller's estate. So I think it's quite likely that it was out on their private island all these years. I'll find out for sure though and let you know.
My father used to work on Bartlett's island as a grounds keeper. They were good people to work for. I actually met Mr. Rockefeller (sr.) on 3 separate occasions. He was very nice and affable. Also sincere which surprised me. You'd think all that money would really change someone. But I'm polar opposite of wealthy so what would I know about it! :D;)

My father used to work on Bartlett's island as a grounds keeper. They were good people to work for. I actually met Mr. Rockefeller (sr.) on 3 separate occasions. He was very nice and affable. Also sincere which surprised me. You'd think all that money would really change someone. But I'm polar opposite of wealthy so what would I know about it! :D;)
You may not be wealthy in the same terms as the Rockfellers, but, with all that sharp steel you have you will have a hellofva estate sale! :^)

You may not be wealthy in the same terms as the Rockfellers, but, with all that sharp steel you have you will have a hellofva estate sale! :^)
I suppose you are right! I've been able to acquire some nice ones over time. :D:thumbsup:. Thanks!
I put together some before and after pics of a light restore I did on it. Here it is almost finished!
AWZLgxW.jpg

gBPiMWd.jpg

pcvFzYs.jpg

jD3Hjfv.jpg

Here's a before on the back side;
EUzwj07.jpg

After;
l2ibQhx.jpg

A rehang is obviously out of the question, so I'm applying blo to the tongue in hopes the wood will swell and tighten up just enough to stop it from rattling. Drives me nuts!
DMW53Xj.jpg

Last photo is what this label looked like. This one does say "gas tempered" so it's at least as old as 1937. As they had already switched to electric tempering by then. Anyone know when Warren switched from gas to electric tempering? Anyhow thanks for looking! It's the second one up from the bottom;
eKhe8VI.jpg

Miller that's some amazing white oak man! I must admit my envy! We don't have any here, and it's hard to find too in the sizes I need for making helves.
But my find in the wild yesterday kind of makes up fot it a bit. ;)
I found one of the nicest and most valuable axe I own yesterday in the wild. It's ridiculous! To say I'm happy would be a grievous understatement!
Check this dayum thing out guys!
A 6lb (over 7lbs with the helve) paper label Warren Axe & Tool fire axe! :D
xEtYc2B.jpg

qw3XMO8.jpg

N6brtoZ.jpg

TgwUTpp.jpg

31hEulF.jpg

UiZUjLp.jpg

vTd2N8o.jpg
2TbmXu6.jpg
viPYdqB.jpg

I've calmed down a little. Paid next to nothing for it, which is the best part! I've never even seen one this nice! I very gently oiled it, and now the front looks painted again like the back. The stamps are clear and legible and all rust has been stopped but not removed. I'll share some better photos when I get a chance.

A beautiful axe I've been looking at 6 lb fire axes lately also. Some good TT Kelly standards and stamped warrens but a little too pricey to justify, waiting for the right one. So is the 36" curved haft ive been waiting 2.5 years to use.
I'm curious and have to ask but what sort of methods are you using to get your finds lately with the current situation? Especially the bulk lots.
I'm not allowed to go 5ks from my home and have been constantly trawling for online bargains and bulk lots.
The Australian market has gone very quiet so I'm more having to look for US lots that are priced low enough to justify the postage. Been getting sniped though. The bots are still rampant.

$20 at the local flea markets this morning:
View attachment 1395452
View attachment 1395455
View attachment 1395458
View attachment 1395459
After wire-brushing:
View attachment 1395460
View attachment 1395461
View attachment 1395463
View attachment 1395478
View attachment 1395479
View attachment 1395490
View attachment 1395491
SUPER BANKO, MADE IN SWEDEN weighs 1lb 2-3oz w/out haft, my best guess. I've been looking for a hatchet that small for while now.
Thanks for watching. T-A

I’d be interested in those shears.

This followed me home from the post office the other day. It's an R. King (old Collin's brand) axe with probably the nicest old handle I've ever handled. It's extremely thin and has a really nice fawns foot. It was nearly grey when I got it, but soaked up some linseed oil and brought out the rich brown patina. The fawns foot end has a few checks I don't like the look of. I'd like to fill them with titebond and clamp it, but the titebond is too viscous to get in the crack. Is there something you can thin wood glue with or does anyone have a better suggestion? The rest of the handle is solid. The edge will need a good bit of work, but there's lots of good steel left and the bit is thin enough to take it back behind the chips without it becoming a splitting maul lol.

Msb4r6T.jpg

0og1YFv.jpg

X0jGLgY.jpg

IpfwYpK.jpg

XWe1axe.jpg

eU1PCJh.jpg

My other acquisition was from my brother who found a NOS carborundum puck for me.

n5IBYtr.jpg
StXcGOG.jpg

Back