It followed me home (Part 2)

Found this Council tool 3 1/2 (I'd hoped it would be 4 lbs) pound axe with what I believe is an older slanted logo. It was on a jerry rigged handle with a big hunk of aluminum wedge pounded into the kerf. I liked the bit shape, and think it will be a good user once hafted. It has a decent higher centerline, so might split well. The metal has an odd goldish/copper color in some places where there is no surface rust and obvious on the top where it has endured some pounding. Anybody ever seen this kind of coloring before?
Swe
Ll7E29q.jpg
mPpFwRg.jpg
jmrjy0O.jpg
PMl5Nrf.jpg
deFP

Found this Council tool 3 1/2 (I'd hoped it would be 4 lbs) pound axe with what I believe is an older slanted logo. It was on a jerry rigged handle with a big hunk of aluminum wedge pounded into the kerf. I liked the bit shape, and think it will be a good user once hafted. It has a decent higher centerline, so might split well. The metal has an odd goldish/copper color in some places where there is no surface rust and obvious on the top where it has endured some pounding. Anybody ever seen this kind of coloring before?
Swe
Ll7E29q.jpg
mPpFwRg.jpg
jmrjy0O.jpg
PMl5Nrf.jpg
deFP
If I'm not mistaken I've seen this color on axes that have been through a fire, I'd check it with a file before doing anything to it.

Swe
Ll7E29q.jpg
mPpFwRg.jpg
jmrjy0O.jpg
PMl5Nrf.jpg
deFP
If I'm not mistaken I've seen this color on axes that have been through a fire, I'd check it with a file before doing anything to it.

Christmas came early this year for Miller!! Is that Collins Virginia and Kelly/TT Rockaway ?

WOW!!!! what a haul!!!!! you've got some really good stuff there!!!!!

Thank you!

Yes
20201129-142740.jpg

The only Collins stamped
20201129-142746.jpg

20201129-142748.jpg

The jersey maybe virginia not sure, no stamp.

20201129-142812.jpg

Thanks man!

I hope more is coming before Christmas!

The vises were the real haul. It's so hard to find good, large vises for an affordable amount these days.

And that paper press! I can't think of one single thing I could use it for, but my eyes were drawn to it without the option.

Rick "finding axes around here but not good bench tools like that" Denney

Swe
Ll7E29q.jpg
mPpFwRg.jpg
jmrjy0O.jpg
PMl5Nrf.jpg
deFP

Do you or anybody know when Council changed their stamping from the written name (as on your find) to the C logo they currently use? My recent haul included what I also hope is a four-pound Jersey-pattern head with the newer logo, on a handle that looks very old. I'm trying to figure out how old it could be.

Rick "can't seem to find much on Council Tools model history" Denney

I'm not sure, but read that you can email Council and one person got a reply on the timeline on their logos. Like you, I didn't find a lot online.They've been in the business a long time, so good history there. Good luck. I like their boys axe in the sports utility version, and have used it enough to be satisfied that it was a good purchase.
SwedeFP

I paid more than garage-sale money for these two heads on eBay, but I think they’ll make great axes. Both are stamped TrueTemper, look to be refurbished by the military after light use and painted OD, and then surplussed off. The one on the top in the first pic and thd left in the second appears to be unused—the blade still has the factory sharpening (meaning, profiled properly but not sharp).

Both have what I think are the later Kelly ridges, but still during the period when the ridges were under patent, I think. These seem to me later Vietnam-era acquisitions.

With handles, these will end up about the price of a Husqvarna. Not super cheap but not bad for lifetime axes in basically NOS condition.

They weigh 3 lbs, 13.5 oz.

TT-OD-back.JPEG

TT-OD-stamp.JPEG

TT-OD-top.JPEG

This was stamped on the back of one of them:

TT-OD-backstamp.JPEG

Rick “in the handle queue” Denney

Last edited:
This Plumb boy's axe followed me home from Ebay today. (Seller's pic. The link will dry up, but I'll post my own pictures to replace it.) It will be a good partner to my Hults Bruk Kisa.

The seller didn't know what it was, and he might have gotten a bit more bid activity had he included "Plumb" in the title. Looking at the label, it appears to have red "Plumb" with a blue or black outline, which is unlike the labels used in Ames and Cooper catalogs. But the blade does not look fully ground, which the dreadnoughts seemed to be and the All-Americans were not (and those were the only two choices in Boy's Axes in the 1970 catalog). But it has a Permabond attachment, and that was only in the better line until the into the 70's--the 1970 catalog (even though it uses the same pictures as earlier 60's catalogs) shows that all Men's axes used Permabond, so they may just not have changed their graphic for the Boy's Axe. What hint I see from the label could go either way. I'm thinking 1970, give or take a year or two--a little less certain than I am with my full-size All American.

No matter--it looks like a good axe for $28.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Rick "didn't really expect to win the bidding for what was clearly a Plumb in a really usable size" Denney

So I searched OfferUp for axes near me. This one was on there and had been for 3 months. I knew it was old so I asked the guy if it was still available. Remarkably he said it was (he was only asking $10) and I knew it was old from the bevels. I made my way out and drove the 27 miles in what turned out to be some winter crap weather. The guy said here, Merry Christmas and to just take it for free as he was cleaning a garage out for a relative and was going to donate it if it didn't sell. I thanked him and left. I did not have my reading glasses on so did not know the maker until I got home. Turns out it is a Plumb 3.2 that is rusty but was NOT abused! All that for $FREE.99! Even for the $10 the trip would've been worth it!

mnfpU59.jpg
nTzOIyi.jpg
nXe91ys.jpg
mnfpU59.jpg

Back