It followed me home (Part 2)

Happy Saturday

20210129-121442.jpg

20210129-121803.jpg

:thumbsup::cool:

I got some very unique axes recently, and thought them worthy of sharing. Thought you guys would want to see them.
They are shipwreck artifacts. They are purported to be from the wreck "Toledo". Which sink on lake Michigan in 1856. The single screw steamer had just left Port Washington and a huge storm blew up. It actually blew them back to within easy swim of the shore but they had no idea where they were. All but 3 drowned.
Anyway, I can't prove any of that but I thought it deserved a mention. The gentleman from whom the axes were purchased bought them from the the diver himself in the late 80's after they were recovered.
I find it fascinating that steel can, in the absence of oxygen, reach an equilibrium state in fresh water and remain intact for a long damn time!
They were under water for many years though, that much is clear. I'll share one here.
It's a 4lb 2.5oz
Isaiah Blood & Co.
Ballston,NY.
Cast Steel. Warranted.
The body is wrought iron and it has an inlaid bit, naturally.
This is how it looked when I got it;
49lhHYb.jpg

2W995yM.jpg

This next pic is actually the bottom of the eye. Most were unhandled. That's actually a piece of ceramic that got jammed in there.
Along with the calcified remnants of under water life and sand.
xsXnjY4.jpg

2qPJD4g.jpg

And here's all that stuff after I removed it from the eye;
YdisyZw.jpg

tm8hDBz.jpg

And here's the makers mark.
NYG9KU9.jpg

And a couple photos of it finished and hung. I gently wire wheeled it. Then barely filed just to remove dings and make it sharp. You would not believe how good the temper is! Phenomenal temper guys! The other axe I got is the same. Blows my mind that they are in as good of condition as they are!
QHVRBn0.jpg

97tNfwD.jpg

2AeOFg6.jpg

Look at this poll! This pattern is just crazy cool...
9gnlZWP.jpg

6UmFE1Z.jpg

And one last photo of this axe, the top view. I used an eastern white cedar wedge because it's so weak. I did not want a lot of outward pressure on this axe.
7Z2Oxw8.jpg

And only 4 photos of the other axe I got. I know this post is huge!
This one is a;
Jerison White.
Warranted. Cast Steel.
One side had been cleaned already, the other not touched.
9QUduZL.jpg

DYh6kO2.jpg

And one pic of the eye and all thr crap in it. Rocks, sand etc.
LLw2Lj9.jpg

And the makers mark. They had a flower design in the middle of their logo which of pretty cool.
c1tCG7j.jpg

One of the coolest things about restoring these is that when you are honing, I use water while doing it, all you can smell is a fresh water beach!
Anyway thanks for checking them out! Hope all you guys are all doing fantastic!

Last edited:
I got some very unique axes recently, and thought them worthy of sharing. Thought you guys would want to see them.
They are shipwreck artifacts. They are purported to be from the wreck "Toledo". Which sink on lake Michigan in 1854. The single screw steamer had just left Port Washington and a huge storm blew up. It actually blew them back to within easy swim of the shore but they had no idea where they were. All but 3 drowned.
Anyway, I can't prove any of that but I thought it deserved a mention. The gentleman from whom the axes were purchased bought them from the the diver himself in the late 80's after they were recovered.
I find it fascinating that steel can, in the absence of oxygen, reach an equilibrium state in fresh water and remain intact for a long damn time!
They were under water for many years though, that much is clear. I'll share one here.
It's an Isaiah Blood & Co. Ballston,NY. Cast Steel. Warranted.
The body is wrought iron and it has an inlaid bit, naturally.
This is how it looked when I got it;
49lhHYb.jpg

2W995yM.jpg

This next pic is actually the bottom of the eye. Most were unhandled. That's actually a piece of ceramic that got jammed in there.
Along with the calcified remnants of under water life and sand.
xsXnjY4.jpg

2qPJD4g.jpg

And here's all that stuff after I removed it from the eye;
YdisyZw.jpg

tm8hDBz.jpg

And here's the makers mark.
NYG9KU9.jpg

And a couple photos of it finished and hung. I gently wire wheeled it. Then barely filed just to remove dings and make it sharp. You would not believe how good the temper is! Phenomenal temper guys! The other axe I got is the same. Blows my mind that they are in as good of condition as they are!
QHVRBn0.jpg

97tNfwD.jpg

2AeOFg6.jpg

Look at this poll! This pattern is just crazy cool...
9gnlZWP.jpg

6UmFE1Z.jpg

And one last photo of this axe, the top view. I used an eastern white cedar wedge because it's so weak. I did not want a lot of outward pressure on this axe.
7Z2Oxw8.jpg

And only 4 photos of the other axe I got. I know this post is huge!
This one is a;
Jerison White.
Warranted. Cast Steel.
One side had been cleaned already, the other not touched.
9QUduZL.jpg

DYh6kO2.jpg

And one pic of the eye and all thr crap in it. Rocks, sand etc.
LLw2Lj9.jpg

And the makers mark. They had a flower design in the middle of their logo which of pretty cool.
c1tCG7j.jpg

One of the coolest things about restoring these is that when you are honing, I use water while doing it, all you can smell is a fresh water beach!
Anyway thanks for checking them out! Hope all you guys are all doing fantastic!
Those are some amazing finds! I had one that looked identical to the first axe, but a buddy wanted some heads to hang so I gave it to him. Now I kinda wish I hadn't....

Those are some amazing finds! I had one that looked identical to the first axe, but a buddy wanted some heads to hang so I gave it to him. Now I kinda wish I hadn't....
Oh no for real? Can you get it back? Perhaps offer a trade to get it back?
And thanks man! I am honored to have these in my collection. That I. Blood is the centerpiece of my collection. Totally unique.
Do you have any photos of your old axe?
You won't believe it, but just traded for another shipwreck axe. It's a tiny Blood! It's the same pattern, same thin poll just 1/4th the size at 1lb 4oz.

I might be able to get it back, to be honest I'm trying to severely cut back on the amount of tools I have so I'd rather keep axes with sentimental value as opposed to monetary value. Speaking of which, I've got a thing or two I need to send your way one of these days....
IMG-E3173-2.jpg

IMG-3174.jpg

Truly amazing stuff Josh! The next level beyond the previous next level.
Thank you Glenn! Much appreciated man. I figured some folks would enjoy seeing these. I know I can't look at them enough! :D.
I might be able to get it back, to be honest I'm trying to severely cut back on the amount of tools I have so I'd rather keep axes with sentimental value as opposed to monetary value. Speaking of which, I've got a thing or two I need to send your way one of these days....
IMG-E3173-2.jpg

IMG-3174.jpg
It does look like an older pattern, you are right! I can see "RF" there I think.
Sending stuff my way? Well now I'm curious! Haha.

Reactions: A17
Very cool finds.
And it tells us that the teardrop eye was used a bit earlier than I thought.
For some reason I had the idea that it came about in the 1870's or something, and I have no clue where I got that idea from.

I just recieved this one in the mail today. Pretty excited about it! Has to be one of the coolest hatchets I've seen.
It's another I. Blood. From the same wreck and almost the same pattern as my big one. It's got that ultra thin, ultra tapered poll.
fenrEvj.jpg

k3wiFa7.jpg

kja6ME5.jpg

Here's a few comparison pics next to the big one.
RV0t6ct.jpg

XKHKIxg.jpg

I'm inclined to think it must be the same pattern. Just diminutive, so it looks different. You guys think it's the same pattern? Meh, maybe not, I dunno.
gV6aTlq.jpg

And lastly the weight. Pretty happy with this set!
gsdq2mq.jpg

I just recieved this one in the mail today. Pretty excited about it! Has to be one of the coolest hatchets I've seen.
It's another I. Blood. From the same wreck and almost the same pattern as my big one. It's got that ultra thin, ultra tapered poll.
fenrEvj.jpg

k3wiFa7.jpg

kja6ME5.jpg

Here's a few comparison pics next to the big one.
RV0t6ct.jpg

XKHKIxg.jpg

I'm inclined to think it must be the same pattern. Just diminutive, so it looks different. You guys think it's the same pattern? Meh, maybe not, I dunno.
gV6aTlq.jpg

And lastly the weight. Pretty happy with this set!
gsdq2mq.jpg
The big one has a lot of features of Connecticut pattern, but I believe older catalogs used 3 different names for this axe: Ohio, Western, Canadian Wedge (nothing to do with actual Wedge Pattern).
The small one (looks like smaller version of Boy's Handled Axe) could go by 2 names: Axe Pattern Hatchet or Hunter's Handled Axe.
https://archive.org/details/DouglasAxeMfgCoCatalogue1873/page/n112/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/DouglasAxeMfgCoCatalogue1873/page/n55/mode/2up

I don't know, but it's definitely a very cool little hatchet.

For some reason hatchets never really seem to officially use any full sized patterns from what I ever see.

I have a head ( came to me on a 20" handle ) that's a bit Connecticut looking to me, but can't really say it's a baby connie.

Looks like one to me though.

Last edited:
Back