It followed me home (Part 2)

It didn't follow me home but was merely observed. The Washington State Ferries still require a certain number of fire stations that must include a fire axe. The MV Tokitae on the Mukilteo-Clinton run is outfitted with Council fire axes. Pleased to see this. Puget Sound area commuter trains are outfitted with generic fire axes.

You have no idea how much it pleases me to see pick head axes are still in use. I know they're less useful when used in conjunction with halligans, but that doesn't mean they're worth phasing out in favor of flat axes.

Found in an old garage, caked in dirt and left unwanted by the owner.

aLCKnmG.jpg

muYIgal.jpg

ebvQHrd.jpg

Hubbard brand, 6 pound sledge.

I'm sure someone that actually knows about these items will tell you more about them, but anything made by case back in the day is collectable. I would say that the combo would come in right handy when processing a large animal in the field. When hunting in the Backcountry weight is important so the combo would give one a large knife and small hatchet for less weight than having both separate. That cedar axe looks to be in great shape and just looks cool. IMHO you got a great buy on them. Either one is worth way more than $20.00.

anything old from Case tends to command, premium and this type of combo no matter the make always does as well.

As I do across the board I consider things like this to be a hatchet shaped knife or form of cleaver, fixed or otherwise they are made of knife stock and just do not do axe tasks well at all.
I do not see these being good for anything but game processing, but that is not a bad thing if they're were really really good at game processing.

anything old from Case tends to command, premium and this type of combo no matter the make always does as well.

As I do across the board I consider things like this to be a hatchet shaped knife or form of cleaver, fixed or otherwise they are made of knife stock and just do not do axe tasks well at all.
I do not see these being good for anything but game processing, but that is not a bad thing if they're were really really good at game processing.
It looks like it's never been used or sharpened. I almost didn't buy it but for $10 I figured why not? I'm not looking to sell it, just curious about the history of it.

It looks like it's never been used or sharpened. I almost didn't buy it but for $10 I figured why not? I'm not looking to sell it, just curious about the history of it.
Dang $10 ?
I couldn't even touch one for what they command on Ebay.

I don't know how long Case continued to produce their version, but all other makes of these things seem to be 1950's and earleir.

Hillsville gets worse and worse every year, but theres always a few deals around, like this irwin perfect handle, the fairmont cast, a PS&W CO. Chisel, the cut-devil rail chisel, courtesy of norfolk and western, and lastly, a lovely little forged ice axe
8OpYpaT.jpg

Sorry for the image rotation, i tried to edit it on imgr but it doesnt seem to want to

I have no info, but it's extremely cool.
The axe head looks to me like it could be from Maine, and I get the suspicion that this display piece may not have been made too terribly long ago.

I have no info, but it's extremely cool.
The axe head looks to me like it could be from Maine, and I get the suspicion that this display piece may not have been made too terribly long ago.
The only thing I found online was a trademark application was filed for APPALACHIAN HARDWOODS AMERICA'S FINEST in 1996. The head appears to be made from two pieces of metal formed together. It looks good on the shelf, even my wife likes it

The only thing I found online was a trademark application was filed for APPALACHIAN HARDWOODS AMERICA'S FINEST in 1996. The head appears to be made from two pieces of metal formed together. It looks good on the shelf, even my wife likes it
Ah that makes perfect sense, it would have been cool if this was a real head.
They certainly did a good job designing it after an actual axe head.
So often stuff like this is cartoony and unrealistic.

Back