It followed me home (Part 2)

That one might look better hung upside down.

Its not that bad. Just a little file work.

P1010078_zpscdc26f10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bunch of other stuff from the flea (Stanley #7, #5 1/2, #4, #3) and an oak hooked mirror, but the True Temper Kelly Perfect Jersey pattern for $6 made me real happy.. sweet, sweet axe.

14522135129_bdccf6de42_b.jpg

New here. This gem followed me home from a local flea market at $10. I'd like some help on a few of the stamps on the bottom of the head. I haven't seen many Marshall Wells Zeniths like this, quite a bit of the original finish is still on the axe and you can even see some of the gold in the main stamp. Condition is as I found it, I just brushed a little rust off and oiled it. I am really torn on whether or not I want to whiz it up at all. I'll probably leave it as is for a while.

The stamps on the bottom of the head are "4", "X" and "B". It weighs 3 1/4 lbs.

F2A88B50-64C9-44FD-BD33-634999586809_zpstj1hjavn.jpg

2D833E1F-D299-444A-BD1B-75F23F8E13CD_zpsdzjuz891.jpg

00B48B70-DE56-4BBC-916C-0376AF97174A_zpsyjxklkqt.jpg

8CA51191-FBE2-49B8-92D0-60B1233B00AA_zpssb5mxmem.jpg

Last edited:
I'll post this here, and it's own thread. I found this axe today, and it appears to be fairly old. I don't know if it's just a small-time smith, but the son of a gun is heavy, my guess would be upwards of four or five pounds. It's got at least one visible stamp that's marked really deep, stamped R D. There's another one by the poll but is illegible due to the mushrooming, and on the same side that R D is stamped on. The handle is very thin, and not of typical style you see in modern axes, but I don't think is original as the wedge was gone. It's been bashed on to keep it on the handle with a sledge from the looks, due to the lack of wedge. I've actually looked at this axe for a while, ever since it was sitting with a Hubbard and Blake dated to the mid 1870s, but didn't buy it because of it's condition. I noticed the proof marks today and picked it up for 8 bucks. If it's a resto-project, it'll be a long haul.
image-83.jpg

image-81.jpg

image-82.jpg

image-84.jpg

image-85.jpg

Today was my first time at Liberty Tool Co. in Liberty, Maine (as per Hardball's recommendation) and I have to say I'll be going back....soon. The prices were more than fair, as you can see on the tools, I think I spent $30.00 total for the True Temper Kelly Works, the cross pein hammer, and the Collins brush axe. The Collin's head came from the Treasures and Trash Barn, and oh my sweet mother mary above do they have some damn nice axes. They've a Collins rafting pattern I'll becoming back for next week with CASH in hand. So, ladies and axoholics, I present to you, my purchase.
image-93.jpg

First off we have a True Temper Kelly Works (World's Finest if I might add, the axe said so!) for quite a steal of a price. Any idea on when it was approximately made?
image-90.jpg

Next is a Collins Brush Axe, for $14.50. A steal!
image-95.jpg

image-94.jpg

And a no-name Cross pein hammer, used but not trashed, and hand forged.
image-88.jpg

And my last stop was the Treasure and Trash barn, if I'd brought more cash I'd have bought more axes. Two boxes of rusty Collins' and a few Warren's for $4.00 each. This poor baby has a crack though, about an inch long. Should I weld it, or simply rehang it and ignore it?
image-92.jpg

image-91.jpg

image-89.jpg

DT,
Man those are good prices for flea markets around here!! If I went somewhere like that, I would have ot pack a lunch.

Bill

The Kelly Works actually has a half moon/banana grind on it under the black whaever this is coated in. Besides the crack that Collins is beautiful under the rust. Still dunno what to do about that crack, it'd be such a great axe.

Darth, Collins made the best brush hooks, their eyes to blade connection being the most solid of the ones I have seen.:thumbup:

Bunch of other stuff from the flea (Stanley #7, #5 1/2, #4, #3) and an oak hooked mirror, but the True Temper Kelly Perfect Jersey pattern for $6 made me real happy.. sweet, sweet axe.

14522135129_bdccf6de42_b.jpg

The beveled mirror is nice but the axe looks really good.

Back