• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Italian folder repair

Hey-

Does anyone know who might be able to do a repair on an Italian-made folder? It was made by a gentleman called Roberto DeMarinis in Frosolone, Molise - a center for knife-making in Italy for centuries.

The knife is a lock-back "sfilato" and the spring bar has snapped off. I of course tried to contact Roberto but his site is down and the e-mail I have for him gets no response...I suspect he's out of the "commercial" market, so to speak.

So, does anyone know and recommend a knifesmith who might be able to repair this breakage?

I'm in New Jersey, so the closer the potential smith is the better for me, but getting it done right (if possible) is the priority.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have.

Tom Ciocco

Yes I do: Contact Walt Halucha at www.latama.net (He doesn't live far from you, in Montauk, NY.)

He's the most prominent person in the Italian auto market in the USA, and he regularly has repairs made.

Good luck.

Thanks Sharp, I'll shoot him a message. Just one question - was "auto" a typo, or does he work on knives and Lancias and Alfas and Ferraris (HAHAHA)?

You goot it. I just talked to Walt and he got your email and can help you. Expect a return note ASAP.

'Auto' is the term for automatic knife. We refrain from the term 'switchblade'. :) Maybe it's not an auto, but I just ASSumed.

Good luck, Tom.

I got the reference later...though this knife has the form of a stiletto, it's not sprung. Thanks again.

T.C.

Back