It's Amazing What You Can Find For £5 On A Flea-Market!

Three Stan Shaw knives from the Sheffield Museums site (knives belong to Geoff Tweedale).

o5mNLFD.jpg

IY3fzUT.jpg

Hey, a boil knife!

Stab, pop, squeeze and repeat...

The file work is well done, but it's chopped out parts of the stamps, bummer. The MOP is pretty smooth and uniform too. Those covers are worth more than what you paid, it's almost like they paid you to haul it off. Always a good feeling, aye?

Did you find any other good fleas at the market? We're still a couple months off our gigantic monthly Flea market season, you got me sweating it out now, thanks.

Thanks a lot guys :thumbsup:

Looks like Stan's filework!! Nice turn of luck, that one!! Congratulations!!:thumbsup:
Any marks inside the liners???o_O

Thanks Charlie :) Yes, very much Stan's signature. Stan tells me that his and his mentor Ted Osborne's knives can be hard to tell apart, but I've not seen an example of Ted's filework (and gave Stan my only Ted Osborne knife). There are some numbers on the inside of the brass liner, but in 1951, the cutlers hadn't started adding their initials. I'm sure Stan will know anyway, and I'm overdue a visit :thumbsup:

Wowee-wow-wow! :eek:
You already found your knife of the year ! Now all we need is a photograph with it in Stan's hands !! Better still a video of him talking about it:eek:

Man o man !!!!!!!!!
Yes, indeed. It's only February, but that looks like knife of the year material. Absolutely flea-market-find of the decade! Congratulations, Jack. :):thumbsup:

Thanks folks, I have absolutely no idea why the feller asked for £5. Half an hour before, I had asked about a very mediocre penknife, and he wanted £5, and reluctantly accepted £4. Passing back through the market, I bought another mediocre knife off him for £3. The Lobster was tucked away in a cabinet, hidden in its leather case, with some silver fruit knives, and I had missed it before. I could see it wasn't a fruit knife, and after I enquired about it, the price was a lot lower than I had expected. I don't really get out like I used to, so it is certainly the best buying day I've had in a long time :) :thumbsup:

Back