Its here!!!!

Do not forget the original design was inspired by Bill Scagel and his flowing designs....he did some smaller 7"-8" and you might get a little inspiration on how Bill handled such from the factory repros or you might do a lot of looking at originals to keep true to original vision of our departed friend, Yvsa....he and i had a lot in common including bloodline and love of Bill Scagel knives...

Last edited:
Personally i can see more Scagel in this first one than i can the second one....perhaps straighter back and less upsweep to both clip and tip....a bit straighter out blade but still subtle curves.....and definitely more belly even in back where Scagel larger knives famous for forged out dropped choils with rounded back ends to the forged out edge....

There are a couple here in the multi-knife display of original Scagel knives where you can see where Yvsa was going with his Rose....

Last edited:
Yeas I think your right Karda. I was contemplating the overall shape but Kag Katne size is way too small. Id prefer the blade at least Baby Chiruuwa AK size maybe even an inch more and first run Micro Bowie size handle. That would put it about 11" minimum. I agree with Bawannas spine comment as well. SOmething about the choil area that aint right but aint sure what it is. Maybe less pronounced would do. Looking good though:thumbup:

I also agree with Karda about the size. The Cherokee Rose blade shape doesn't look right in the shorter length, and might not be practical for some purposes.

The other issue is handle size. I have one of those Baby CAKs, and the handle feels surprisingly good, but that's partly because the lack of a guard means it can be held with the thumb on the spine. A bottom guard would still allow that, but not the full guard of the Cherokee Rose.

Pics of my Baby CAK by Dhan Kami, 9.75" OAL.

View attachment 573597 View attachment 573599

The long top line from the butt all the way to the bend in the spine really makes this "small" knife work, both visually and practically.

The Rose will look fine reduced as originals by Scagel were more that size to begin with as for a 7" blade and 12" LOA....you are talking a kabar sized knife at 7".....starts to get quite a bit daintier at 6" but still quite useful...you can reduce blade thickness to 3/16ths" when as short as a 4" but even 5" will work at 1/4" thick..as the owner of multiple double guard knives, placing thumb past a guard is no problem...spine shape has far more to do with thumb comfort than a guard....

Last edited:
Great collection, pix and post!
Thank you for sharing

Back