It's raining Slysz Bowies Halleluyah!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sharperthansticks, Mar 18, 2019.

1. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    I'd believe you if there wasn't this picture of you diving into your sea of BNIB Bowies:
    [​IMG]

:eek:

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    They better not. There are more sprints to come and those are the worst scales in the list of available scales (majority of options).

I don't get why you think they should go for way higher... Just because there are less of them. People are just getting ripped off if they pay more, or are just collecting.

wensynch, FullMetalJackass and BD_01 like this.
  3. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Spyderco and BladeHQ won't inflate the price because they have reputations to consider. They don't just sell a few sprint runs every once in awhile. They run businesses and aren't out to extract every cent possible off customers. They have to look at the overall big picture. A flipper isn't worried about it in the least. Just get what they can, when they can and reputation be damned.

Quiet and Mo2 like this.
  4. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014

Cause he bought a few extra to flip. I am waiting for the cruwear micarta version myself. I passed up on the ugly jade scales despite having the funds and the opportunity, instead I went with a brs fragment. I don’t buy into paid personalities hyping free product shilling for a company. I’m not going to get into the validity or credibility of these reviews either. It’s all marketing. Buyer beware.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Longevity of the business is worth more than a quick buck. This is something people who claim "market value" overlook.

Mo2 likes this.
  6. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    The the rush on sprints keeps the brand hot, which in the long run is worth more than turning a few extra bucks on a 600-1200 piece run. Same goes for the retailer.

It’s qute a genius move, IMO.

Hackenslash likes this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Blade HQ and Spyderco probably sell those knives at reasonable prices so folks like me can buy them. Yeah it's unfortunate that flipper dirt bags glom onto those models also. Suggesting that the pump them out at flipper prices from the get go is ridiculous.

Knives like that Bowie are planned with a finite production life. There's nothing hard to understand about that and if you look back in time over other knives that Spyderco has made like this the same pattern follows. The Tuff would be another good example of a popular but only available on the secondary market.

Not all the collaboration knives become popular after the fact. There is something intangible about that process and it happens with other goods than knives. If anyone cracks that code they're going to get rich.

8. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I've often wondered what percentage of sprint buyers already own the same knife in it's stock configuration. I bet that number is pretty high. So essentially Spyderco is increasing the sales volume for a give design by offering sprints to folks who already own and like the knife.

I agree, that's a genius move. Minimal development and R&D cost but the sprint generates revenue that would never have been captured by the stock knife.

9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I don't & I buy as many sprint runs as I can; I don't buy knives I already have;

I buy to get a proven design that will have a steel that's a bit more exotic than the catalog version.

Mo2 likes this.
  10. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    And here's one more take on these. Knives like the Sylsz Bowie are like produce their popularity is perishable. Combine that with the magpie instinct of knife nuts to want the newest and shiniest thing on the block they'll start to normalize their resale price.

11. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Funny you mention the Tuff. I love the damn thing! So funky. And a folder in 3v! I know I could sell it for way more than I paid, but I bought it to use and enjoy.
    [​IMG]

Lapedog, CdnMitch and Mo2 like this.
  12. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    You guys are putting way to much thought/perspective into this. Its simple really, I dont follow spyderco products and I happened to run across the knife and liked the looks. They arent at retailers anymore so Im willing to pay a premium for access to someone who was smart enough to have bought one. Same as anything else be it guns, cars ect.

13. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    The deluge continues...savvy investors are still out there on the exchange asking 5 $bills$.

Mo2 and BD_01 like this.
  14. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Noticed that.
    Its raining something. It might be brown and moist but its something:poop:

ArchVV and Mo2 like this.
  15. wensynch

wensynch

Apr 30, 2016
    Collaborations are licenses. It's to Spyderco to weigh how much that license is worth.. Or to just eventually offer its own version.

It's up to the consumer to determine whether the Sylsz bowie or the Spyderco Sylsz bowie is worth the money.

16. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    To me the very best Spyderco keepers are the designs which have been refined over time. In my case that’s the Paramilitary and Endura.

17. SeppukuSamurai

SeppukuSamurai

Aug 19, 2014
    I think that because I buy second hand so often most knives I acquire have been flipped five or so million times and are thus thoroughly broken in.

In six years of collecting seriously, I just acquired my first unbridled action. It was a Shiro, brand spanking new and opened maybe two or three times. Was very stiff. I was a bit upset as all the other ones I have recently purchased are the best I've ever experienced. Decided to believe in fairytales again and "break in" my knife. Two dozen openings later and its comparable to my other three.

The break in period is real.

18. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford

May 3, 2013
    The madness continues.........
    ”$540 firm”

19. Sharperthansticks

Sharperthansticks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2017
    sliceofaloha likes this.
  20. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford