Recommendation? Its that time again...to abuse my wallet

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
So, today marks 6 years since I joined the forum. And Saturday is national knife day. I say its time for a new knife!!!

Stipulations:

~200 and under

Prefer materials that are not G-10, especially not BLACK G-10
NO S30V, prefer S35VN or better.
NO plain Ti
Prefer spydie holes and or flippers.
I've owned a LOT of Spyderco's
No Benchmades
Prefer not made in China

Currently looking at: PM2 Sprint, MKM Raut, not sure what else.

Currently own:

TSF Beast
Matt Bailey Model 2 geek edition
Spydercos:
Gayle Bradley 1
Manix 2 sprint
Yojimbo 2
Domino
Brous Bionic
Kizer Ki4423
WE Deacon
Massdrop/FF/WE Gent Select
Southern Grind Spider Monkey
ZT 0095S90BLK

Thanks y'all

Edit: no assisted please

Last edited:
A few random suggestions:

Cold Steel Golden Eye Elite (it's thinner and lighter and better than you'd guess, trust me):

Maserin 378 AM-2 Flipper (also comes in wood handle or less flashy CF):

Maserin 680 Police Flipper (also comes in green):

Emerson A-100 (yes, I know it's black G10, but it's a classic design and will be excellent for your high speed low drag EDC tactical ops, also comes in uncoated blade version if you don't care about sentries spotting you because of your terrible light discipline):

ZT 0770CF, one of my favorite ZT knives when it comes to actually cutting things:

Boker Plus Exskelibur I in cocobolo and damascus:

Last edited:
I came here to suggest the new Native Chief. (I checked one out today at my local knaf shop and it's pretty sweet) It doesn't fit your parameters tho, but I just wanted to say it's sweet. A little pointy for me, but I might scoop one up.

Hmm, maybe a TRM Atom in 20CV and micarta?

As an addendum, I'm not looking for traditional or fixed. Thanks EG, those Maserins are cool.

Emerson's really don't do anything for me. I'm one of the least tactical people on the planet. Though I am a very, very good shot, paper targets scream when they see me. I can outshoot my cousin, who is a veteran FBI agent.

I owned a ZT 0770cf and we're it not assisted, I would have loved it. I still pray they come out with an unassisted version in CF. That blade shape...

You won't be able to pick it up Saturday, but how about getting on the list for a North Arm Skaha II?

Wait-list is closed on the skaha until the end of 2019. I don't care about getting it by Saturday.

Buck marksman inferno is out of stock, though it did peak my interest.

evilgreg evilgreg

You suck. You got me looking at Maserins, and now I'm considering going over budget for the AM5 and AM4.

I normally avoid tantos, but that pocket clip is so cool...

Last edited:
Well after much hemming, hawing, smoke coming out of my ears, I said to hell with it. It had been a while since I had checked my account. Living back at home, and being an invalid so long, I've built up quite a bit of money.

I bought the Maserin AM-4. I figured that I have almost every blade shape but a tantos in, but mostly half serrated pieces of junk.

Should be here early next week. I got the CF/Olive wood version.

Ooh, it appears I bought the last olive wood one on BHQ!

Congrats on your new knife!

Sorry, I'm late to the party. I really wanted to help you spend your money.

Why don't you get out of your comfort zone and buy a fixed blade for EDC?

I give you the bradford Guardian 3SF:

bdk-3sf-102n$01-bradford-knives.jpg

Sorry I didn t get a chance to make my recommendation before you pulled the trigger.

Good choice. Hope you like it.

As an addendum, I'm not looking for traditional or fixed. Thanks EG, those Maserins are cool.

Emerson's really don't do anything for me. I'm one of the least tactical people on the planet. Though I am a very, very good shot, paper targets scream when they see me. I can outshoot my cousin, who is a veteran FBI agent.

I owned a ZT 0770cf and we're it not assisted, I would have loved it. I still pray they come out with an unassisted version in CF. That blade shape...

For what it's worth, this knife apparently responds well to having the spring removed.

evilgreg evilgreg

You suck. You got me looking at Maserins, and now I'm considering going over budget for the AM5 and AM4.

I normally avoid tantos, but that pocket clip is so cool...

Well after much hemming, hawing, smoke coming out of my ears, I said to hell with it. It had been a while since I had checked my account. Living back at home, and being an invalid so long, I've built up quite a bit of money.

I bought the Maserin AM-4. I figured that I have almost every blade shape but a tantos in, but mostly half serrated pieces of junk.

Should be here early next week. I got the CF/Olive wood version.

Ooh, it appears I bought the last olive wood one on BHQ!

I think the AM-4 series knives are dead sexy looking myself, but the weird pocket clip on the spine thing has scared me off so far. Here's a photo of the orange burl version for anyone reading the thread that hasn't seen an AM-4:

FWIW, I really like my Maserins so far. I hope the AM-4 works out for you.

Thank you everyone.

Quiet Quiet

The standard aluminum 0770 I've heard works well, the CF not so much. I tried it.

evilgreg evilgreg

The clip worried me as well. However, the way the flipper is designed, I'm not too worried about it coming open in my pocket, as opposed to a more standard flipper.

gazz98 gazz98 and W whp

I have quite a bit more money in my account than I expected, and could be talked into another knife, albeit less expensive.

L Lodd

I had an ESEE Izula in my rotation for a while, but a large part of the draw is being able to fidget with my knives. It helps with both ADHD and anxiety.

I own only two traditionals for that reason.

I do carry an SAK in my edc/medicine bag.

What are y'all's thoughts on the new Ritter/Hogue Knife? It's cool, but plain. I wish they would make a non-ritter version with the spydiehole and sheepsfoot blade. I wonder if anyone will be making scales for them anytime soon.

For that matter, I've thought about custom scales for the Domino.

A suggestion based on the criteria but at a lower price point.

Viper Keeper. D2/Bohler N690 + micarta/wood handles + made in Italy + flipper ~$130ish

Not too many choices for your steel at the lower price point.

A knife I own and love. Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter in orange G10 + S35VN + Taiwan + thumb stud. I'm not a fidget kind of guy myself. ~$110ish

Back