It's Time (Hults Burk)

For splitting, I have two beater axes. A 3.5lb Vietnam made axe and a 4.5lb Husky. I am searching for vintage replacements for both. I am looking at heavy HB’s, Connies, Maine wedges and Jerseys. No hurry. I’ll get quality tools with some perseverance.
I will need a maul when I get to those thick rounds that are soon to be coming off those trees, but so far the Husky has been able to split anything up to roughly 20” across with some effort and turning.

You might enjoy a 4-5lb rafting pattern.:)

Ah yes. I have looked at those as well and they look to be a good thick bit which should do well for splitting. Thanks for reminding me of those!
I had been thinking of using some wood for terracing the yard. My only concern is that hickory, while hard as nails, seems to rot uncommonly fast when left in contact with soil and moisture. I suppose I could treat them, but I also tend to shy away from that as it could leach nasties into our water table (sure that we have plenty already, but don't want to make a bad situation worse). I will probably resort to rock walls, such as we have in other parts of the yard. The root balls of the trees have a good supply of rock in them.
Anyway, here's some more pics of the work I've done. I cut with the chainsaw toward the tops of the trees. Carry the rounds to my splitting area (about 50yds). Split and then carry the split wood to the storage stack I posted earlier. I typically spend 6-8 hours a day at it.
IMG-4886.jpg

IMG-4922.jpg

IMG-4960.jpg

IMG-4963.jpg

That's a handsome axe. Plus, doing you a fine job. That wood splits real nice. You have some bores in your trees. Your wood may rot
quick because of the amount of rain you get. I'm sure we don't get as much as your area. Man your doing a fine job of cutting and splitting.
DM

It's not bad for a $27 Home Depot special. It was the only one with decent grain orientation out of about 20. But I have noticed that the bit is bending ever so slightly to one side. Probably the result of the way I swing the axe and crummy steel. I'd like something better since I'm gonna be at this for a long time. 4-5 pounds ought to be about right.

Could be crummy steel or soft heat treat. I like your idea of a better ax. Then you get to pick a new handle and hang it. You splitting
that many hours a day, you're getting a work out. That wood splits nice. Thanks for the good pictures. DM

If I come across a good straight piece of hickory from these trees, I may even take a shot at carving my own haft. But these guys are old and have a lot of insect damage. I even came across a dead squirrel inside a hole in the tree. Smelled so bad I had to chuck that piece of wood.

S Square_peg , does your fireplace have a insert? Those make it more efficient.
I usually save many logs for splitting later. Like during the Fall. As my wood is cut from
dead trees and doesn't need curing.
How much advantage does the 5 lb. axe gain over the 4 lb. for splitting? DM

Last edited:
So the white outter rim of the rounds in DB's photos is what we call sap wood right? That's how the sugars run up and down the trees..and draw insects to it?

slightly related these guys make shingles and in the process explain how and why they remove all the outter sap wood.

Really good watch I would highly recommend. He uses a side axe to make them.

Back