It's Time (Hults Burk)

Thanks, I saw one of those swimming in the bay. I want to see how much improvement that weight ax is for splitting.
On You-Tube they split Spruce using different ax and mauls. Of course that is not the level of splitting Emory oak. Still, I think a
splitting axe needs to have a bit that penetrates (bites deep) then starts to wedge the wood apart. So, I think this type axe could
work for me. Then the more weight would be an added bonus.
How much would a longer handle on my 4 lb. Hults axe benefit? DM

Last edited:
Anyone have a problem with a Council tools axe Dayton pattern? I like that 6 lb. Fireman flat head axe. What steel? DM

I have read that some wood splitters assert that splitting is an equation of 'mass X acceleration'= force (splitting success)
Not considering how blunt the maul head is. To me the design of the head must allow it to begin penetrating, then wedging takes place.
Which helps to force the log apart. So, design plays a part, -- not merely brute force.?? DM

I just sold a nice 5 lb Norlund to a guy who has turned around and put it in the bay. Half orange handle. It might be what you’re looking for.

I thinj Council uses 1060 for the regular line.

You could ask Jblyttle about a 5-6 pounder.

Ok, I'm in agreement with you. I'll look for one. Is bay my only place? DM

I ordered one from Amazon (seller Council Tool) and it came with a terribly warped haft. I sent it back and got a fresh one from Whiskey River. It cost me a bit more but arrived in excellent condition. I have been meaning to review it but I really haven't had an opportunity to put it to use. Hopefully sometime this winter.

I think Council uses 1060 for the regular line.

Yes, that's my recollection as well.

If our temperatures drop into the teens and we have some wind, we'll burn 2 wheelbarrow loads in a week. When its just 29 or 30* at
night we don't burn so much. The shipping for my 6 lb. Council splitting axe was $25. I thought darn... DM

My splitting maul weights 14 lbs., which is heavy for me. I wouldn't mind a 8-10 pounder. I'm hoping this 6 lb. Council ax can drive a wedge and work well for splitting. So, I don't have to swing the splitting maul much. DM

You'd be amazed what you can do with small sledges and wedges. Start your wedges with a 3 pound. If needed drive them with a 6-8 pound sledge.

I have a 3 lb. hand sledge I'll try. But no 6-8 lb. sledge, so I was hoping the Fireman's flat head would work for this. I'm hoping for a good
handle on it and the edge doesn't curl on my oak wood. DM

I have a 3 lb. hand sledge I'll try. But no 6-8 lb. sledge, so I was hoping the Fireman's flat head would work for this. I'm hoping for a good
handle on it and the edge doesn't curl on my oak wood. DM
Just FYI, the poll is not hardened...
ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
http://counciltool.com/shop/fire-ax...iremans-flathead-axe-36-curved-wooden-handle/

Back