I've changed my mind about the Heavy Chopper

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The BC and HDFK pre-orders are winding down here and should be finished within about five weeks. We're in the pre production planning stage of the upcoming run of Medium Choppers and have started cutting up sheet for the project.

I was going to add the Heavy Chopper into the Medium Chopper pre-order and simply make more of the original Heavy Choppers. But it's a way overbuilt knife that I decided not to put into production years ago and I'm going to stick to that.

Instead I'll release a variation of the original Heavy Chopper which will be a 1/4" thick 10" Chopper that fits within the new Medium Chopper profile but isn't stupidly over built. It won't be obtuse like the original, it will have tall thinner grinds with the same bevel angle and S grind used on the Competition Choppers, only it will be left a little thicker behind the edge for durability. We've found a good sweet spot for this kind of geometry and we're going to use it. At about 23 ounce the weight falls almost exactly between the MC and the BC (just like the original). It will be stout enough but it's still going to be a cutter not a kludge.

Last edited:
Gee, didn't see that one coming....

hehe
1Er4QYd.jpg

The BC and HDFK pre-orders are winding down here and should be finished within about five weeks. We're in the pre production planning stage of the upcoming run of Medium Choppers and have started cutting up sheet for the project.

I was going to add the Heavy Chopper into the Medium Chopper pre-order and simply make more of the original Heavy Choppers. But it's a way overbuilt knife that I decided not to put into production years ago and I'm going to stick to that.

Instead I'll release a variation of the original Heavy Chopper which will be a 1/4" thick 10" Chopper that fits within the new Medium Chopper profile but isn't stupidly over built. It won't be obtuse like the original, it will have tall thinner grinds with the same bevel angle and S grind used on the Competition Choppers, only it will be left a little thicker behind the edge for durability. We've found a good sweet spot for this kind of geometry and we're going to use it. At about 23 ounce the weight falls almost exactly between the MC and the BC (just like the original). It will be stout enough but it's still going to be a cutter not a kludge.

Questions to Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

1: will it still be available at the same time and in the same pre-order as the Medium Chopper or will it be made available at another, later time, and if so, will it be in a pre-order?

2) will it still be called the Heavy Chopper (HC) or should we address it as something else?

Back