I've gone steel crazy

So I definitely have a problem.
I love steel. Eat, sleep, breathe it.*

So back to the point of this.
My last order of steel was massive. (For me) it was roughly 270$ and I'm placing an order for more today. As I had a few customers pay me for deposits.

This order will have a few new to me steels ordered too. Because I figure why not?
Steels I will be ordering:

Z-A11- the same thing as CPM 10V but no sulphur and 0.05 more vanadium. It is a particle steel!! 1 gen particle form Zapp.
-these knives will be available.

--Some other favorites but not new to me--

Vanax- I'm sure most of you have heard about this steel. Not cheap...but damn its some impressive stainless. 3 times the nitrogen of LC200N/ZFINIT!!!!

Z-wear- almost totally identical to cru-wear, tough, great edge holding, will be using the modified heat treatment.

CPM 4V- a great tough steel with great edge holding. I've used this once before with my mutant fixed blade series. Ran it at 62HRC. Gonna try 63 this time.

I will be aiming for 64-66HRC on the Z-A11. And using the 60.5HRC for the vanax. The zwear will be run at 63HRC with Low temper. The 4V will be run at 63.

Hopefully this post is allowed to stay in here, the idea is to show the general public here some exciting high performance steels and how they work!!!
And possibly have the opportunity to buy them once done.

*not really I use a respirator!!!!

Thanks Colin for the posting. Looks like some interesting blades coming Z-A11, etc. Please make one that you never have to sharpen. In the meantime I'll stick with my M4 Gayle Bradley EDC and a few older VG-10 knives which work fine for my knife usage.

Yea I hope they turn out awesome!
Thanks!
I'm hoping I dont need to sharpen the Z-A11 very much. Should hold an edge for a long time!

Happens to the best of us.
Z-A11- the same thing as CPM 10V but no sulphur and 0.05 more vanadium. It is a particle steel!! 1 gen particle form Zapp.
Have you tried K390 or Vanadis 8 as alternatives to 10V?

Good to see different steels from the same maker. I've got knives in everything you listed except for Vanax.
Not to be too nosy, what will the blade thickness be on each steel ? Kitchen or outdoor knives ?

Good to see different steels from the same maker. I've got knives in everything you listed except for Vanax.
Not to be too nosy, what will the blade thickness be on each steel ? Kitchen or outdoor knives ?
These will be a mix of both.
The 10v will be more outdoors focused du to the stock being around 0.150ish.

The vanax will be 0.131 and 0.080.

I already have 4 v in stock. I think its 0.108 and 0.156.
I'll check when I get home.

I have a Spyderco Mule in PM A11, and I'm really impressed with the edge holding ability.
Reprofiled it to 30 degrees inclusive, and I'm glad I had diamonds.
Even at that, it took a while.
Looking forward to your work.

So back to the point of this.
My last order of steel was massive. (For me) it was roughly 270$ and I'm placing an order for more today. As I had a few customers pay me for deposits.

This order will have a few new to me steels ordered too. Because I figure why not?
Steels I will be ordering:

--Some other favorites but not new to me--

Vanax- I'm sure most of you have heard about this steel. Not cheap...but damn its some impressive stainless. 3 times the nitrogen of LC200N/ZFINIT!!!!

Z-wear- almost totally identical to cru-wear, tough, great edge holding, will be using the modified heat treatment.

CPM 4V- a great tough steel with great edge holding. I've used this once before with my mutant fixed blade series. Ran it at 62HRC. Gonna try 63 this time.

I will be aiming for 64-66HRC on the Z-A11. And using the 60.5HRC for the vanax. The zwear will be run at 63HRC with Low temper. The 4V will be run at 63.

Hopefully this post is allowed to stay in here, the idea is to show the general public here some exciting high performance steels and how they work!!!
And possibly have the opportunity to buy them once done.

*not really I use a respirator!!!!

The bad news is, it's driving you crazy. The good news is, that's only a short drive.

How do you dial in your heat treat?

I've always been torn between going with a maker who has years of experience heat treating one or two steels or someone who offers higher-end steels, but has less experience in heat treating them.

How do you dial in your heat treat?

I've always been torn between going with a maker who has years of experience heat treating one or two steels or someone who offers higher-end steels, but has less experience in heat treating them.
I use Peter's heat treating.
The Zwear is dialed in with low temper.
I dont have an oven currently but I will likely buy one in the next year or so.

Brad is a heat treat genius. I trust his process. Also he will do modifications if you ask.

Last edited:
I feel that way about my top of the line custom steel framed bicycles.
. . . carbon fiber . . . bahhhh . . . pencil shavings and glue . . . they look like plastic toys . . . lets see some nickel plated carbon fiber with intricate jewelry like details.
STEEL !
Oh . . . yeah . . . M4, M390, HAP40, 3V, White Paper 1 . . . I even have some of that funny high Vanadium stuff.

EDIT TO ADD : I wouldn't mind some of that Z-A11 / 10V some time. That could fit in the stable nicely.

Last edited:
Vanax in .08 thick !! I'm in !!!

How do you think the edge will hold up against deformation at this thickness?
I have a kitchen blade in that stock. If I have enough I can add you in to the books.
But it should be a hell of a slicer. And pretty tough.

What's the process to order a knife from you?
Best way is to shoot me an email.

Currently books are closed.
For the most part. I do like to mess with new steels which is what's going on here.
The Z-A11 is totally available.

To be honest the last run of Apex knives really kicked my ass. Every imaginable delay happened. I'm finally finishing them this week.

These test knives are basically a fun project to get me back into the groove. A bit of stress relief and have fun with it.
(10V class steel...fun....yea I'm losing it hahah)

The Z-wear competition Choppers are my actual fun project. I hope to get them certified for bladesports once I get my design dialed. They will NOT be for sale.

I have a Spyderco Mule in PM A11, and I'm really impressed with the edge holding ability.
Reprofiled it to 30 degrees inclusive, and I'm glad I had diamonds.
Even at that, it took a while.
Looking forward to your work.
I have one as well. Likely taking it to 32 degrees inclusive. Can you tell me where yours was from Spyderco? I've seen others report that they are coming from Spyderco at 16 or 17 degrees. Mine came at ~22 per side.

Back