I've got a Leatherman squirt on it's way.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I just placed an order for a Leatherman squirt from blade hq ( with a free Leatherman note pad to boot, cudos to them for that ) and I'm excited because I've liked the idea of the little squirt for a long time but just never got around to pulling the trigger.
I have carried my Leatherman fuse on my belt every day for years, but on days off If I'm not doing much that day I feel like a leatherman squirt could be more than enough.
The Micra is almost enough but the lack of pliers doesn't go unnoticed so I think the little squirt will be just the ticket.

If you're used to having a full sized tool most days , on " lazy days " is the squirt enough to handle any minor tasks and to keep you from feeling naked ?

You're going to live the squirt.

I've had mine about 4 years now, and I've fixed all kinds of stuff with it. The screw driver's are enough for most loose screws you run into, and the small pliers have been a God send for old arthritic fingers that have lost some dexterity and pinch strength as I've progressed through my 70's. The knife blade is more than enough to open plastic blister packages and mail and cut twine in the garden. The file has even been put to use a few times. I carry the squirt loose dropped down in my left front pocket with he change and Bic lighter.

Before moving to Texas, the squirt was my D.C. carry for king in and out of federal buildings with the 2 inch blade limit. I got by just fine many a day with just the squirt as my sole EDC pocket tool. Even now, with the squirt in my pocket I go about my life as a retired gentleman of leisure spending a lot of time fishing and on the shooting range. It's been used for working on fishing reels and firearms.

I love my squirt and would sooner go out without my pants than my squirt. Not so much the micra which I found not that useful/convenient because of the inside tool layout.

You're going to live the squirt.

I've had mine about 4 years now, and I've fixed all kinds of stuff with it. The screw driver's are enough for most loose screws you run into, and the small pliers have been a God send for old arthritic fingers that have lost some dexterity and pinch strength as I've progressed through my 70's. The knife blade is more than enough to open plastic blister packages and mail and cut twine in the garden. The file has even been put to use a few times. I carry the squirt loose dropped down in my left front pocket with he change and Bic lighter.

Before moving to Texas, the squirt was my D.C. carry for king in and out of federal buildings with the 2 inch blade limit. I got by just fine many a day with just the squirt as my sole EDC pocket tool. Even now, with the squirt in my pocket I go about my life as a retired gentleman of leisure spending a lot of time fishing and on the shooting range. It's been used for working on fishing reels and firearms.

I love my squirt and would sooner go out without my pants than my squirt. Not so much the micra which I found not that useful/convenient because of the inside tool layout.
Judging by how useful my Micra has been over the past decade or so I can definitely imagine how useful the squirt should be, I very rarely use a multitool as a knife though so I'll probably pair it with a my Gerber ultralight lst or Buck 283.
Then again I just got a Maglite solitare LED in black from the local hsrdwhar store today, a Buck alumni in black aluminum would make a fitting match to the trio.

I can see not liking the Micra and it's inside tools, It's just not been a problem for me.

Judging by how useful my Micra has been over the past decade or so I can definitely imagine how useful the squirt should be, I very rarely use a multitool as a knife though so I'll probably pair it with a my Gerber ultralight lst or Buck 283.
Then again I just got a Maglite solitare LED in black from the local hsrdwhar store today, a Buck alumni in black aluminum would make a fitting match to the trio.

I can see not liking the Micra and it's inside tools, It's just not been a problem for me.

Now that I'm not living in the D.C. area, and enjoy the more free attitudes of Texas towards both firearms and knives, I pair up the squirt with a dedicated pocket knife of some sort. I had, in my younger day totally misjudged how useful a small pliers could be. I used to scorn the whole Leatherman thing as a unneeded thing. Then as an old fart, I started having trouble with arthritis in the fingers and the light bulb came on over my head. Someone gifted me a micra, but since I usually had a small SAK that had scissors and small screw drivers, the micra just didn't hit any mark with me. Added on was the minor annoyance of having to open up the whole thing to find the small knife blade or one of the screw drivers, and it just never clicked. But the small pliers was a whole different thing. That hit the bullseye with me big time. Not to mention that most times I want to cut something, I can just pull out the blade like a regular pocket knife. No having to open the tool to get at the blade or screw drivers.

Now, if someone held a gun on me and told me I could only leave the house with one pocket knife or tool, it's going to be the squirt. I can get by with a small jeans coin pocket knife from years of experience carrying knives like the Buck 309 companion, the Case peanut, Boker 240 pen knife and Victorinox classic. No biggie. But I've come to love having that small pliers and flat and Phillips drivers in a coin pocket size package. Take my pocket knife but don't take my squirt or Fenix E01!

Last edited:
Now that I'm not living in the D.C. area, and enjoy the more free attitudes of Texas towards both firearms and knives, I pair up the squirt with a dedicated pocket knife of some sort. I had, in my younger day totally misjudged how useful a small pliers could be. I used to scorn the whole Leatherman thing as a unneeded thing. Then as an old fart, I started having trouble with arthritis in the fingers and the light bulb came on over my head. Someone gifted me a micra, but since I usually had a small SAK that had scissors and small screw drivers, the micra just didn't hit any mark with me. Added on was the minor annoyance of having to open up the whole thing to find the small knife blade or one of the screw drivers, and it just never clicked. But the small pliers was a whole different thing. That hit the bullseye with me big time. Not to mention that most times I want to cut something, I can just pull out the blade like a regular pocket knife. No having to open the tool to get at the blade or screw drivers.

Now, if someone held a gun on me and told me I could only leave the house with one pocket knife or tool, it's going to be the squirt. I an get by with a small jeans coin pocket knife from years of experience carrying knives like the Buck 309 companion, the Case peanut, Boker 240 pen knife and Victorinox classic. No biggie. But I've come to love having that small pliers and flat and Phillips drivers in a coin pocket size package. Take my pocket knife but don't take my squirt or Fenix E01!

I'm a creature of habit so I probably would be killed sneaking a second option out with me, but I can imagine potentially being able to carry just a squirt.
It shipped earlier today and I'm excited to try it out when it arrives.
Supposed to be 2-4 day shipping so hopefully by the end of the week.

If you're used to having a full sized tool most days , on " lazy days " is the squirt enough to handle any minor tasks and to keep you from feeling naked ?
Yes, but I admit that I prefer a SAK; a Manager for those lazy days.

When I'm being lazy I don't need pliers, and if I do, I just go to the kitchen drawer and get one.

For a really small plier-based MT, the Gerber Dime is great for the money, but Leatherman is noticeably better quality.

Yes, but I admit that I prefer a SAK; a Manager for those lazy days.

When I'm being lazy I don't need pliers, and if I do, I just go to the kitchen drawer and get one.

For a really small plier-based MT, the Gerber Dime is great for the money, but Leatherman is noticeably better quality.
I carry my Vic's mostly as knives, so I don't feel like I've got a multitool when I'm carrying them which is why I wanted a squirt.

I know many people like the dime, but I don't like the bottle opener sticking off of it.
I also won't buy another Chinese Gerber multitool of any kind especially a small one, because I had a one of their BG compact tools that snapped a screwdriver on a small screw which was replaced by one that broke it's pliers trying to cut a small paperclip the day I got it.

I carry a Charge + a Mora at work, but when going to town, I only take the Squirt and YES it is enough.

Regards
Mikael

I carry a Charge + a Mora at work, but when going to town, I only take the Squirt and YES it is enough.

Regards
Mikael

Good to hear that it can be enough for you That's what I'm hoping for myself.
I really don't need a multitool all the time,but I just can't turn it off you know.
I feel naked without one.

Just waiting on the post office to put the mail in the PO box, should have it within the hour.

Congrats!
And now starts the break-in procedure...:)
In order for the scissors to cut without catching paper, I rounded the edges of the ricassso/plungeline.
The spine of the plierjaws has been rounded to the halfmoon shape found on the larger LM's.
Finally the knifeblade got a good initial sharpening and it now even cuts hardwoods like Beech, Oak and Cocobolo.

How do You like the little spring that closes the pliers?

Regards
Mikael

Congrats!
And now starts the break-in procedure...:)
In order for the scissors to cut without catching paper, I rounded the edges of the ricassso/plungeline.
The spine of the plierjaws has been rounded to the halfmoon shape found on the larger LM's.
Finally the knifeblade got a good initial sharpening and it now even cuts hardwoods like Beech, Oak and Cocobolo.

How do You like the little spring that closes the pliers?

Regards
Mikael
Thanks, I'm definitely really impressed with it.
It's smaller than that little BG tool i had, and this thing snips paperclips much more easily.
Plus it doesn't break:D.

The spring for the pliers is about the same as my Micra so I'm fine with it on a tool this size when I normally don't like spring loaded pliers in general.

The scissors on mine actually seem to cut just fine on everything I've tried cutting, I'll have to test the knife.

Yes the knifeblade is surpricingly stiff on the Ps4 and can be used for serious small work.
I don't have the Micra, never fell for it but I like the spring as it add a feeling of quality and I find it useful on such a small tool.

Regards
Mikael

Yes the knifeblade is surpricingly stiff on the Ps4 and can be used for serious small work.
I don't have the Micra, never fell for it but I like the spring as it add a feeling of quality and I find it useful on such a small tool.

Regards
Mikael
The blade is similar to the one on my Micra, but it a little bit wider.
Now my Micra was made in 1996 when they first introduced them so by now they may very well be using this same blade as found on the squirt.

I actually quite like the blade being chisel ground, it gives the blade a specific usefulness over my regular knives.
The best way to explain it is that my micra blade gets used for tasks where I might otherwise use an exacto knife.

One word about the Leatherman squirt; like the little Case peanut and the Victorinox classic and executive, it's capable of far more than you would think from it's small size.

I've experimented with carrying it as an 'only' and it's not let me down yet with the sole exception of food slicing. Just too small a blade for that. But for opening packages, breaking down cardboard boxes for the recycle bin, snipping light wire, dealing with both flat and Phillips screws, and even using the file on a rough metal edge, it did everything I asked of it. The knife blade has sliced BBQ at a roadside stand, cut a lot of twine and assorted rope, stripped wire, and sharpened a good hot dog stick for the granddaughter to roast over a campfire. The scissors have snipped a lot of fishing line and thread on sewing projects, and even trimmed a broken finger nail or two. The pliers had e been used for both plier jobs and as forceps as they fit so well and are flush at the end.

I love how easy the chisel edge knife blade is to sharpen. Just hone the one side with the bevel until you get a burr and then just lay the opposite side flat on a stone and take a swipe to two and it's razor sharp. It's 420HC like Buck uses, and it actually seems to hold a decent edge.

Even though I've been a life long knife nut, the squirt has phased out my smaller coin pocket knives like the Buck 309, Boker 240, and Victorinox classic. It's just soooo damm capable a pocket tool. Although it's square shape makes it not very good for the jeans coin pocket, the corners wear through the denim too well so it gets just dropped in the left hand front pocket wear it's weight keeps it there at the very bottom where it's easy to find.

I'd sooner go out without my pants in the morning than without my Leatherman squirt.

QUuYV4R.jpg

J2LQ72J.jpg

5nt1Qee.jpg

mHH7zLf.jpg

spXWWaF.jpg

HCGAr76.jpg

Back