Järvenpää Kauhava Ball Pommel Knife - looking for replacement

Hi All,

I recently received a wonderful knife as a gift, from my GF’s mom.
For some stupid reason I placed it on the rear bumper of my van, and ofcourse, forgot about it.
Went for a drive later in the day, and after I got back I realized my knife was missing.

My GF found it the next day, but needless to say, it was run over and destroyed (run over by other cars)

So, I am on the hunt for a replacement.
My research found that is a
Järvenpää Kauhava Ball Pommel Knife

Don’t know much about it, but it looked about 40-50 years old, with leather wrapped handle.

Pointing at any sources where I can replace it would also be great.
I’m watching ebay and etasy, but nothing came up.

here’s what’s left of it....large bic lighters for size reference. Very sad to say the least.
A8963A60-7C79-4179-B22C-84FA599F7427.jpeg 0E2BF71A-2283-497E-AC5B-3D5B13D99503.jpeg

:( very sad fate for it.
Good luck finding a suitable replacement. I hope you succeed quickly ... before (potential) future mum-in-law finds out what happened.

They are easily found. Google, ebay, maybe even the Jarvenpaa website....yes they still sell them....there is at least one on ebay currently.....

They are easily found. Google, ebay, maybe even the Jarvenpaa website....yes they still sell them....there is at least one on ebay currently.....

Thats good news.
Yeah, I saw one on the bay, but it’s a mini.
Hopefully one similar will pop up.

Meanwhile, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in with more info it.

What do you want to know? Its a traditional Kauhava style puukko, made in Kauhava Finland sometime in the last 100 years. Can't see in the pictures if it is marked with a makers name, but there were quite a few that made identical style knives. There should be an engraving in odd flowing script in the fuller.
IBfIcaCh.png

Similar unmarked knife here

Last edited:
I suppose you could buy a new one and do some aging magic on it. A pricey solution but they are still available . This was a cringe worthy story. Sorry for you. :(

Google Scandinavian or Nordic knives for several dealers who carry Jarvenpaa and similar knives.
Rich

Let's keep the discussion about the knife. If you have purchasing recommendations for the OP, send him a message please.

I don't know about the "ball pommel" desrcriptor, but I have pretty much the same knife. It was described as a "Kauhavaleinen" puukko.
Jarvenpaa's first name is something like "Iisaakki". No guaranty I've doubled the right letters.

Back