James Brand Hell Gap review request

Does anyone have anything to say about the James brand hell gap knife besides it’s expensive? I love the simplistic lines on the knife, reminds me of the ESEE 3hm but in S35vn. And the close competitor that comes to mind would but the Nyala but that has been discontinued. Any way I appreciate any input from actual knife people since there is nothing on the web about it.

Not knowing what I'm talking about has never stopped me before, so I'll take a swing at this.

I don't own a Hell Gap. You could stop reading there if you wanted, but the problem with this request is that The James Brand has had some rumors about poorly assembled knives slipping through quality control, and here among the knife cognoscenti, that will get you written off, fast.

The company also gets dismissed as a "hipster" brand, which is counter-intuitive since hipsters are all about niche interests and irony, so they would likely reject something which is marketed at them, but I digress.

Certainly a lot of the brand is just that: branding. But there is some good. According to one "review" I found, the knife is all United States made, somewhere in Idaho. I don't know who does the heat treat, and that would be good information to have when making a judgment.

Stuff that's made in the States does come with a higher price, but it almost always comes with a higher quality standard, too.

In all, I think you're paying for the S35VN, the higher cost of United States manufacture, and the James Brand logo. About $160 more than the ESEE that the OP compared it to.

But are you getting more?

That depends mostly on your preferences. ESEE knives are made in the States too, and their warranty and QC are rock-solid. If you would rather have a premium stainless over 1095, and you "would rather have it" enough to pay double the price, then the Hell Gap may be for you. But if you're looking for a knife to be a knife, you can buy two or three or five of other companies' offerings, for the same price as you pay to get The James Brand logo put on the side. I don't think you would notice any real world difference, either.

I'll share my two cents.
I purchased the Elko folder by James Brand for my spouse as an alternative to the classic Swiss Army (SA) knife of the same size. The action is pleasantly stiff but not too difficult to unfold and stow, and the fit and finish are solid. The lines are clean and there is no play on the blade opened or closed. The edge retention is OK. About the same as the SA.
That said, it's $70 and only has the one blade with the littlest pry bar as a lanyard loop compared to the SA classic Wenger at around $30 withitsknife, file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers. With the James Brand you are definitely paying for premium for the look and name.
I too considered the Hell Gap for a fixed edc. After reading the reviews on their own site I decided against it. I'm now more interested in the Great Plainsman by LT Wright or the Bark River JX6. Both cost much less (the Plainsman is less than half with better looking kydex), have comparable fit and finish, and are US made.
I do love the look of the Hell Gap though... ;)
Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply gentlemen! I ended up not going with the hell gap and got a bark river mini fox river in cpm 3v for a new edc blade I’m very happy with it. Love the sheath and the knife melts into my hand feels very precise and sure. It also prompted me to get on to a quartermaster preorder pretty excited for that to come in.

anyway I feel like if the hell gap was competitively priced I would have had no hesitation on it.

You are very welcome!
And I am of the same mind. I love the lines of the Hell Gap, I just can't justify the price.

i was wondering the same, i have a hell gap in my cart but it will likely be taken off, as i don't buy knives i have never heard of before, i have no knowledge of their heat treatment, how their steel holds up --- people don't talk about them, and reviews are scarce or just not there, so i don't feel comfortable enough to give them a chance, especially not at 275
what drew me to it was that it looked very "american frontier" old america 1700s, i don't like frills and embellishments so it looks like a no nonsense piece, i just know nothing about them

I have the hell gap in black. I use it mainly in my kitchen and fishing. Sharpens real easy and is a pleasure to use. The knife is expensive. In my kitchen I mainly use the hell gap and a frog market special. It works well for me

Back