Recommendation? Japanese Kitchen Knife

Looking for a Japanese Petty knife recommendation. A little framework: I do almost all of my kitchen work with two knives: a Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" Chef's knife and one-of-many Victorinox 4" parers. I was all set to order the 6" Fibrox Pro when I figured it'd be a good opportunity to get a Japanese Petty knife. I'm a big fan of carbon steel and I take pride in my ability to sharpen on my water stones.

Any recommendations around the $100-200 range for an approximately 150mm Japanese Petty with a carbon core? Seems to be a lot out there. Thought I'd see if there was a general consensus.

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with the examples above - I don't have work by either of the Japanese makers in the 2 links, but I bet they would work well. All of the traditional style Japanese kitchen blades I have, from $70 to $300, easily out perform Western style counterparts such as Henkels, Wustoff, Messermeister.

However, the thin edges of Japanese blades can be fickle when used on hard material like butternut squash as lateral stress on the edge (wobbling the knife side to side in the cut) might produce micro deformity. Typically, I can only feel this when running a finger nail along the edge, not actually see the deformity - so quite small.

That said, when this has happened, I have easily restored the edge with a minute of stropping on leather loaded w/ high grit polishing compound or a Sypderco ultra fine ceramic stone.

Another website worth checking out while you look around is https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ - brands that I have had success with include Kohetsu, Moritaka, Masakaga, and Anryu. All make lamanated, carbon core knives, some with reactive metal sandwiched around the core steel or some stainless clad, carbon core offerings.

Back