• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

JD WARE Small Slipjoint - Red Deer Horn - Filed Bolsters - O1 French Grey SOLD

JDWARE

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a slip-joint folding knife with a 2.375" flat ground, belt satin finish blade. Blade and spring are of 3/32" O1 steel with a "French Grey" finish - a surface treatment often used on highly engraved shotguns and rifles. It offers some protection from rust and oxidation, but just as on a fine firearm, I'd still suggest keeping it lightly oiled or waxed.

The handle is some very fine Yucatecan Red Deer Horn that I process myself. Closed length - 3.375" Nickel Silver liners, pins and file worked top bolsters. Silver 1903 ten-centavo escutcheon. Geometric pattern file worked blade with thumb grooves. Handmade leather pocket-sheath. SOLD (including FedEx economical insured to North America. $15 extra to most of EU)

The knife opens with a medium-easy pull, and can be pinched open. Backspring is flush open and closed and has no half-stop. Supplied shaving sharp.

I am a full time knifemaker working in Merida, Yucatan Mexico. I ship knives internationally on a regular basis via FedEx. I accept Paypal and credit cards.

I use almost exclusively local handle materials that I gather and mill or process myself. Dense tropical hardwoods as well as wild and ranched deer, cow, bull and water buffalo horns.

The silver escutcheons are made from old Mexican silver coins and are pinned through the liners. You can still see some of the surface irregularities of the coins. All of the pins are nickel silver and are hammered over and left slightly proud of the handle. The decorative file work and carving are precise and carefully done, but you can also see that it was done by hand – I don’t sand or polish the file-cuts.

Please checkout my website for more information about my work JDWARE KNIVES

If you want to purchase this knife or have questions or comments, post here, pm me, or contact me through my website.

Thanks for looking
J

Last edited:
J,
VERY, VERY NICE FOLDER !!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been admiring your work for a long time now, time to commit. I will take it. PM inbound.

This knife is sold.
Thank you Erik.
And thanks Tim for the kind words.
Saludos
J

J,
You are welcome.

Erik,
GREAT SCORE !!!!
I think You will be very happy with this folder.
Jeff makes an EXTREMELY WELL CRAFTED HANDMADE FOLDER.
And visually they are a WORK OF ART.

Gracias Tim and Johnny.
Here are a couple of similar knives I recently made for a Mexican collector. These Large Heavy Folding Knives are of 3/16" thick steel with blades about 3.25" long. It's a popular knife here. The first is 440C with Red Deer Horn, the second French Greyed O1 with Bark Water Buffalo.
Saludos
J

JDWARE KNIVES

Last edited:
Gracias. Yes, they're heavy duty...... the man that bought them both runs a guided hunt outfit here in Yucatan. I'm sure they'll see some use.
Saludos
J

JDWARE KNIVES

Those are beautiful knives, I love stag and horn, the use of old coins is a pretty neat touch.

I really enjoy working with these materials too. The Stag comes from a deer ranch in Tzucacab, two hours south of Merida. Twenty years ago, the Mexican government imported a thousand Red Deer from New Zealand and distributed them to ranches around the country, where they've thrived. The Red Deer were first introduced to New Zealand in the late 19th and early 20th centuries from Scotland and England....... so this Mexican Red Deer horn is some of the same material the great Sheffield cutlers were using on their legendary "Exhibition Knives".

The Bark Water Buffalo Horn is from another Mexican ranch along the Gulf coast in the state of Campeche. I try to keep as much of the surface irregularities as I can.

Both materials require a whole lot of work to get them into pieces suitable for knife scales.

The Silver Escutcheons on the two large folders were made from pieces of a silver Mexican Onza (.999 one ounce silver coin)

Saludos
J

JDWARE KNIVES

Back