• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

JD WARE Zulu - Bark Bull Horn

JDWARE

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Zulu pattern Slip-Joint Folding Knife with Bark Bull Horn handles. Blade and spring of 3/32” O1 steel with French Grey finish.

Closed length is 4-5/8”” Blade is 3-1/2” Flat ground with a hand rubbed satin-finish, vine file work and thumb grooves. Nickel Silver liners (relieved), pins and file-worked top bolsters. The Silver Escutcheon is made from an 18th century Spanish Half Reale coin.

The handles are Bark Bull Horn. I collect the horns from La Corrida (the Bullfight) here in Merida and in the neighbouring pueblo of Motul. The Horn handles have a lot of character from all of the surface texture and scarring and beautiful coloring

This horn came from a bull fought by the world famous Spanish Rejoneador, Pablo Hermoso de Mendoza (a Rejoneador fights from horseback). Below is a photo of Hermoso de Mendoza in action and a photo of me cutting a horn. I boil the horns to clean them and loosen the outer horn from the bone. The horns are boiled again to soften them, then pressed flat, dried and cut.

This knife is “under-bladed” meaning that in the open position, the spine of the blade is just slightly lower than the top surface of the backspring. This is an intentional design element that is typical of old Sheffield knives. Without this feature, over time, as a knife is used, the blade will want to “climb up” over the back spring. The backspring itself is flush with the liners in the open and closed positions. There is no half-stop. The knife opens with a medium-easy pull.

Included is a handmade leather pocket sheath. $375 SOLD (including shipping via FedEx economical insured to US, Canada or Mexico. $15 extra to most of EU. By quote elsewhere)

If you'd like, I can engrave up to three initials in the Coin Silver Escutcheon for an additional $25

I am a full time knifemaker working in Merida, Yucatan Mexico. I use almost exclusively local handle materials that I gather and mill or process myself. Dense tropical hardwoods as well as wild and ranched deer, cow, bull and water buffalo horns.

The silver escutcheons are made from old Mexican and Spanish Colonial silver coins and are pinned through the liners. You can still see some of the surface irregularities of the coins. All of the pins are nickel silver and are hammered over and left slightly proud of the handle. The decorative file work and carving are precise and carefully done, but you can also see that it was done by hand – I don’t sand or polish the file-cuts.

Please checkout my website for more information about my work JDWARE KNIVES

If you want to purchase this knife or have questions or comments, post here, pm me, or contact me through my website. I accept PayPal and credit cards.

Thanks for looking
J

3ooZAZf.jpg

mSaxlYa.jpg

HWkjAbq.jpg

INANFuO.jpg

V54JKZr.jpg

qER2p91.jpg

Last edited:
jacal .... you are going to love it! I have 4 of JD's knives and they are all superb. I would have snatched this one up immediately ... but prefer blades no larger than 3". Congrats!

i kept coming back to this one... A little too big for me but sooo beautiful. JDs quality is great!
Enjoy your purchase.

I need a big ol' folder. Too many of my knives already lean towards the teeny side. Besides, I suspect the bull might have died for my sins. ;)

Last edited:
J,
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL KNIFE.
EXCELLENT BLADE, NEAT FILE WORK.
I really like the added pins, they go very well with the silver escutcheon.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jacol01,
The photos are nice, but they don't do it justice. You got a GREAT KNIFE !!!
I have five J.D. Ware folders and my wife has a chefs knife, they are a
WORK OF ART and the CRAFTSMANSHIP IS FANTASTIC to say the least.
If I would have been online yesterday, it would have been gone at 9:05 a.m.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I know I will. 3.5" sounds about right for a bullfight knife, anyway.

jacal01,
Use it, but take good care of it. I think these are serious collector knives.
Welcome aboard.

I'd also say "use it"..... and keep it lightly oiled.
Thanks again for the nice comments.
Saludos
J

JDWAREKNIVES

Ha! That's why the blade metal is O1, so's l can resharpen the hell out of it. :D

I like the pinning, too. Keeps the horn from rolling, I expect. I'm keeping the escutcheon clean, too. Sorta hoping there might be some reale traces left.

Gracias, Godofredo. Do you have a favored way to put a permanent patina on the blade to stabilize it, or just try to stay ahead of it with oil?

Last edited:
I think J D French finishes his O-1 blades. One way is using naval jelly. I don't know if this is his method and I don't know what acid is in naval jelly but it turns the O-1 blade light gray and the oxidation helps prevent rust or other patina a bit. I have 6-8 of his knives and none have any rust here in Missouri after 3-6 years and no special care.

Ah. I saw that, but I was unfamiliar with the term. One website lists small amounts of phosphoric and sulfuric acid content in naval jelly, so if indeed 'French finish' is a form of acidic surface treatment, then it would be in effect pickling it to inhibit rust formation. Which is good. JD's point about light oiling may be more then directed to its moving parts, which exposes fresh metal surface with wear.

Yes, as John pointed out, I do the French Grey with Phosphoric Acid. The knife has to be completely fitted up, finished and polished (pins not peened though). Then it's dis-assembled and the blade and spring are acid treated. It takes three or four acid treatments - after each treatment, I polish the metal with Simichrome, which removes the loose iron phosphate, then wash, and repeat the process. Then re-assemble and peen.

While not a rustproofing, it does help. Right Jacal01, A light coat of fine oil on the steel surfaces helps.

Saludos
J

JDWAREKNIVES

I received my knife yesterday afternoon, and I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. The knife is simply beautiful, and knowing its history gives it an air of potency. The bull horn bark handles are unique, and are surprisingly textured, with the battle scars and belligerent life in full evidence. The silver escutcheon, bolster and pinnings lend a contrasting elegance. The blade spine file work is exact, and the climbing vine sculpting is perfect. Maybe my favorite part.

The knife is big, and my grip is comfortable in hand, with my thumb coming to rest on the blade ricasso jimping. The knife came with a small leather lanyard that can be easily pushed aside for a thumb butt purchase in a backhanded grip. The blade is still a little stiff to open, but easily manageable. The knife comes sharp, and I have a new bald spot on my forearm.

J is an artist, and his work reflects it. I feel somewhat lucky and smug to own this knife.

Last edited:
Back